• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Walk-away Lock: iPhone work around for the Lightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I mean I've owned a Town Car in the past and own a 2003 Marauder now so I'm very used to just pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously to lock the car before walking away. Obviously you can use the lock button on the door handle or even on your keyfob. I personally don't like the cyber security issues with connected vehicle features so I don't use the Ford Pass app or PAAK.
What is the secret to that even working? Much of the time it just clicks like it is unlocking over and over and over.
Works every time on my ICE and the wife's ICE. Never failed.
Sounds fixable on your Lighting.
I wrote the following script. Make sure you follow the directions very carefully:

1) Open door.
2) Push lock button on inside of door.
3) Close door.

Walk away. Or dance away. Or walk around. Doesn't matter, it's locked.
Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
@bmwhitetx thank you for the great instructions. As a complete IoT geek, I had failed to do anything with the truck. Your tutorial was a fun motivator.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
Wise. IMO Apps can change at any time.
I do think that within six months to a year there will be threads on these boards with complaints of subscription costs of Ford Pass and PAAK, and all those apps for charging.
Is it really that inconvenient to touch that button on the door handle?
Ford has already stated Fordpass would be free going forward.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Yes, yes Ford did say that. Ford also said the Pro would sell for under 50 grand.
Now I understand that everything can increase in cost, but so can an app.
Ford could come out and say the Fordpass app is getting costly to maintain. We must charge now.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FordPass being free, or not being free, isn't the issue. The issue is the features that FordPass allows you to access.

For example, BlueOval Charging Network (accessible via FordPass). Free access to it expires 2 years after purchase.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
FordPass being free, or not being free, isn't the issue. The issue is the features that FordPass allows you to access.

For example, BlueOval Charging Network (accessible via FordPass). Free access to it expires 2 years after purchase.
Please, which free access expires after two years? Fordpass or Blue oval charging?
For the Blue oval charging, does one have to put in a credit card # in Fordpass?
Thanks

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please, which free access expires after two years? Fordpass or Blue oval charging?
For the Blue oval charging, does one have to put in a credit card # in Fordpass?
Thanks
Access to the BlueOval Charging network expires after 2 years.

You put a credit card into the Ford.com website. You have to do this to use your 250kWh of free charging anyway.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I set this up and it works really well. In fact, so well I have to race to open the back door to get my son out of his seat or risk having to manually lock myself lol.
You can add a Wait command right before the Select Applet command.

And thank you and @Avocadodude for appreciating what this thread is about. For the folks who want to rain on our parade and scoff at this, I say to walk away, even dance away from this thread. There is an Ignore button at the top of every page so you'll never see this in your feed again. Let us geeks continue to geek in peace and share knowledge not grief.

Last edited:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
M y ch
I wrote the following script. Make sure you follow the directions very carefully:

1) Open door.
2) Push lock button on inside of door.
3) Close door.

Walk away. Or dance away. Or walk around. Doesn't matter, it's locked.
Strictly forbidden script in my household. Lockout potential.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I mean I've owned a Town Car in the past and own a 2003 Marauder now so I'm very used to just pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously to lock the car before walking away. Obviously you can use the lock button on the door handle or even on your keyfob. I personally don't like the cyber security issues with connected vehicle features so I don't use the Ford Pass app or PAAK.
I'm a big fan of that old timey keypad.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Does this script cause a horn toot to let you know the doors locked? Our S does not and I never trust it (I'm not the regular driver).

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Does this script cause a horn toot to let you know the doors locked? Our S does not and I never trust it (I'm not the regular driver).
No it doesn't. The mirrors will auto-fold when the lock occurs though. That has been my visual clue. I also have the script sent a notification to my phone that it ran. That has only failed once but it turned out to be a Fordpass connectivity issue.

I really tried to get into the habit of using one of the (at least 3) ways to lock it manually but I failed - creature of habit after having my previous truck for 13 years I guess.

lambach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing this bmwhitetx. I'm going to give it a try one of these evenings.

What are the down sides of enabling this feature? It won't lock when FordPass isn't responding obviously. Any others? If this fails, what happens next? Do you receive a notification that it failed to lock your truck after you have walked away or does it perpetually try to lock until successful?

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing this bmwhitetx. I'm going to give it a try one of these evenings.

What are the down sides of enabling this feature? It won't lock when FordPass isn't responding obviously. Any others? If this fails, what happens next? Do you receive a notification that it failed to lock your truck after you have walked away or does it perpetually try to lock until successful?
I have not run into any downsides. Only the one failure to lock last year. The script sends a notification to your phone when it runs. I always hear my phone beep with the notification as I walk away. I think of that as the old-fashioned double honk some cars did when you locked them. It runs once - no retry.
Sponsored