• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Well it happened… electrical system drain

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So this has been an interesting night, and it all started with my EVSE had a stuck relay. This happened before, I just need to open it up and sand down the ark welds…no big deal (using a OpenEVSE). However I didn’t have a chance to do that so I just restarted it and it took care of the issue.

Fast forward to around 2 hours later, I was looking at the Ford App and saw I had two new messages.

Ford F-150 Lightning Well it happened… electrical system drain IMG_0520

Then I noticed that the system went to Low Battery mode and it would accept any commands from the app.

I went outside in nice 27 degree F weather, and I was able to open the doors with my phone but noticed a red ring vs the blue or white next to the J1772.

Ford F-150 Lightning Well it happened… electrical system drain IMG_0517

Keeping in mind this is around 1:40AM, I decided that I won’t be able to sleep unless I drive the car around. So I did, but before that I was greeted with the following on my IP.

Ford F-150 Lightning Well it happened… electrical system drain IMG_0518

I drove around for about 12 minutes and came back home. I connected the J1772 and it was blinking normal blue and my EVSE seems to not be having issues.

Ford F-150 Lightning Well it happened… electrical system drain IMG_0521

So does this mean my vehicle needs servicing…? I dunno. I don’t have any electric devices plugged in other than my Apple OE usb-c cable but it never had any issues before.

I also did notice that the truck doesn’t want to goto sleep. Usually I see SYNC connected to my router, but this might be a bit excessive. It could be charging the LVB though, so I am not complaining.

Ford F-150 Lightning Well it happened… electrical system drain IMG_0523
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So this has been an interesting night, and it all started with my EVSE had a stuck relay. This happened before, I just need to open it up and sand down the ark welds…no big deal (using a OpenEVSE). However I didn’t have a chance to do that so I just restarted it and it took care of the issue.

Fast forward to around 2 hours later, I was looking at the Ford App and saw I had two new messages.

IMG_0520.jpeg

Then I noticed that the system went to Low Battery mode and it would accept any commands from the app.

I went outside in nice 27 degree F weather, and I was able to open the doors with my phone but noticed a red ring vs the blue or white next to the J1772.

IMG_0517.jpeg

Keeping in mind this is around 1:40AM, I decided that I won’t be able to sleep unless I drive the car around. So I did, but before that I was greeted with the following on my IP.

IMG_0518.jpeg

I drove around for about 12 minutes and came back home. I connected the J1772 and it was blinking normal blue and my EVSE seems to not be having issues.

IMG_0521.jpeg

So does this mean my vehicle needs servicing…? I dunno. I don’t have any electric devices plugged in other than my Apple OE usb-c cable but it never had any issues before.

I also did notice that the truck doesn’t want to goto sleep. Usually I see SYNC connected to my router, but this might be a bit excessive. It could be charging the LVB though, so I am not complaining.

IMG_0523.jpeg
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Have you had any OTA software update attempts around the time of issue? may be that kept the truck awake and used some juice.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Have you had any OTA software update attempts around the time of issue? may be that kept the truck awake and used some juice.
No software updates or large amounts of WiFi packets being transmitted. I was just upgraded to 6.4 on the 11th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So a bit more data...

I came home yesterday around 7PM and it charged till 9:09PM (based on the Ford App), which is not usual for me. The connectivity was there (based on the AP connection to the truck) also from ~7PM to a bit after charging 9:40PM.

My EVSE also has issues around that time too, unfortunately I don't have access to the logs at this time to pinpoint it. I will look at those logs later.

I received the alert about the electrical system drain at 10:39PM. Then around 11:30PM the truck reconnected, and even though it hadn't really transferred anything, it still maintained the connection till ~1:10AM. It then reconnected again at ~1:15AM to about 1:45AM, and thats when I drove the truck around to re-enable the remote systems.

I came back after a roughly 10 minute drive, and it had connectivity again to about 3:10AM.

After that, it was nice and quiet till about 7:25AM, in which it started to pre-con.
The only thing I can think of is my PAAK keeping the truck up since my livingroom and my driveway are not that far away. However my bedroom also has BT connectivity, and it was fine during that time I was sleeping.

Maybe its the movement of the phone in combination with the BT connectivity. The phone thinks you might use the truck, so the truck also prepares for that as well? I dunno... I am just typing what I am thinking.

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
We just experienced the same symptoms. We had NOT attached any "aftermarket accessory" that might cause drain; so, I disconnected the 12v battery, put on a tender, and then reconnected after several hours.
All seems good now ...

scottlanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning Lariat (In fords holding lot:)
I had similar problem, took into dealer there was a software update related to the heater (there is a TSB) for 2023 built after July 1st. I never got any errors regarding this but they could see the code before I even brought the vehicle in. That update seems to have fixed the problem, ( seemed strange to me these two were related but it fixed the problem so far)

Dolphin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 lightning, lariat er
Occupation
Retired
Had the same problem,took to dealer the only thing they could find was I had a USB charger plugged in, disconnected USB restarted vehicle no more problem it's been almost a year since that incident still no problem.
Sponsored