• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Features Do You Want to See In Next Gen Lightning?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
better software and app integration. the truck is already awesome!
Sponsored

Danoby2

First Name
Danoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Sales
I wrote to Ford and suggested a Solar outlet integrated within the tailgate's array of outlets. If you wanted to carry an industrial home size solar panel or any solar panel in the truck bed the purpose would be to use the trickle charge to help maintain battery temp vs using the main battery. Any surplus would then go to the main battery. Very help suggestion say in cold climates where Lightning owners are already parking their trucks outside. Why not use some of that sun to generate a bit of heat?šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I wrote to Ford and suggested a Solar outlet integrated within the tailgate's array of outlets. If you wanted to carry an industrial home size solar panel or any solar panel in the truck bed the purpose would be to use the trickle charge to help maintain battery temp vs using the main battery. Any surplus would then go to the main battery. Very help suggestion say in cold climates where Lightning owners are already parking their trucks outside. Why not use some of that sun to generate a bit of heat?šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I never use the sunroof, and it is a potential source of leaks. I suggest an option to substitute a solar panel for the sunroof. Maybe it would keep the Low Voltage battery charged. šŸ˜‚ A solar panel bed cover would also be nice.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Include hardware/wiring for almost every feature. Iā€™d like to have the option of paying for options via software unlock after initial purchase.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Faster charging Thats really all that would make me think of upgrading. They could also make it lower, it is insanely high to get stuff in and out of the bed.

Other small stuff
  • Show current charging rate on the screen. Better yet, a screen that shows all the information on CarScanner Pro - ideally one that I can configure.
  • EV useful screens. I'd like to know my current miles/kWh relative to my average, a graph for the last hour, the actual kWh used currently by propulsion/climate/conditioning/accessories, and a graph for the voltage. Copy Rivian.
  • Improved routing information with chargers and their current status, state of charge at arrival, etc, , Just copy Tesla.
  • Light color headliner for the Lariat. Please keep the option to delete the sunroof, they don't work for what I do.
  • Four pockets in the bed rather than two.
  • Maybe air suspension, but it would probably be too expensive.
  • Charge ports on both sides.

I'm actually getting used to the shifter knob but I do always wonder if it is going to come back up. I wouldn't mind the *ability* to set it on the screen but for gosh sakes keep a physical control somehow. Column shifters like my first Ford would be nice.

Sponsored

Vallee

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 f150 ecoboost
Higher mileage, to keep up with competition. 6.5 ā€œ bed

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Simple...use next gen batteries to give us:

500+ mile range, 350kW+ charge rate.

That's it. Everything else is gravy. I'm not upgrading to anything that doesn't have at least the above.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning

That's it. Everything else is gravy. I'm not upgrading to anything that doesn't have at least the above.
I have the exact same requirement and am seriously considering upgrading to the Silverado EV or Sierra EV. 450 miles of range is a lot and the charging is great on EA 350kw units. Price is all that is holding me back. Would love to buy one next spring that gets traded back in by someone who just doesn't understand EVs.

jlferg0509

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Malibu; 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
I'd like to see either larger batteries and/or better efficiency, higher charge rate, all available Tesla chargers listed, and a simple software update that shows the rate of chargers on the navigation, so I don't have to select it to see what the rate of charge is (e.g. Color coded, Green = 150 kwh+, Yellow = 62 - 100 kwh, Red = Less than 62 kwh or even use the pictures they currently use to filter chargers by speed).

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Would trade smaller frunk/hood for longer bed (6' 8").
12,000 lb towing,
3500 lb payload.
Lower bed and load height. Lower step-in height.
150 kWh battery in Pro available to gen public.
SSV style HD cloth seats in front of Pro (without the ugly black headliner and black rear seats).
Heated seats in Pro.
Max Tow + Brake controller without remainder/expense of Tow Tech package
Locking front diff.

Not needed:
Delete power frunk hood opening..

Other minor improvements:
Move bed power outlets to be higher so they don't get filled with dirt when hauling yard waste, etc.
Tailgate plastic liner should cover entire tailgate metal surface.
Once selected, leave rear camera on screen even when shifting to park or forward (useful when attaching a trailer or backing a trailer).
Side rear-view cameras on extendable stalks for towing.
Zoomable high-def cargo camera for monitoring trailer and trailer payload when towing.
Less beeping on startup. Less animations.
Less confusion on heater - if heat is selected, always should blow warm air regardless of "accessory" vs "on".
Remote defrost mode.
Less popup warnings. that have to be dismissed. WAY f-ing less.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I don't think we can get significantly better efficiency with the current design for what are Truck is. It doesn't seem even the cybertruck is better from an efficiency side, and the silverado isn't, it just has more battery.

Faster charging and bigger battery will be key. I also have no desire to have the giant center screen in a truck just to get the ER. I'm soo happy I have my 2022 XLT ER as I would not buy a Flash or higher after all the issues I had with the same large screen in my 2021 Mach-e.

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
Some have mentioned a bigger battery. Honestly, I don't think I would want a bigger battery than my XLT ER. The only time I would benefit from a bigger battery would be when towing. Even then, if the charge rate was faster (800V architecture) and there were more chargers (which will just take time), I wouldn't need that bigger battery. A bigger battery would just add weight and cost.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer

Yup. And I wonā€™t be ā€œupgradingā€ to a truck like the Silverado EV that has to use a massively oversized battery to offer that range. For those who have not rode in or driven one, go check out the Silverado EV. The extra TON of battery weight vs the Lightning is very apparent in its handling and overall ride experience. And it compromises the amount of payload due to DOT regs and GVWR limitations.

So Iā€™m at 500+ mile range with < 7500 lbs curb weight. Faster charging. Better and more integrated software. Would also like a 50A outlet in the bed rather than the current 30A and vehicle-to-home output power implemented with standard protocols so we donā€™t have to use a proprietary charger and transfer switch hardware to make it happen.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yup. And I wonā€™t be ā€œupgradingā€ to a truck like the Silverado EV that has to use a massively oversized battery to offer that range. For those who have not rode in or driven one, go check out the Silverado EV. The extra TON of battery weight vs the Lightning is very apparent in its handling and overall ride experience. And it compromises the amount of payload due to DOT regs and GVWR limitations.

So Iā€™m at 500+ mile range with < 7500 lbs curb weight. Faster charging. Better and more integrated software. Would also like a 50A outlet in the bed rather than the current 30A and vehicle-to-home output power implemented with standard protocols so we donā€™t have to use a proprietary charger and transfer switch hardware to make it happen.
Yeah agree. I want a next-gen battery with double the energy per kg so the weight stays relatively the same.

Longer term, lithium-air batteries could reach energy density of gasoline and be available in 15 years.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
1) More Range, as well as different battery chemistry that is not harmful to charge to 100% regularly, and degrades slower over time.

2) More space in between the top of the door frame and the seat. I have to tilt my head straight down to squeeze into the driver seat to get in and out of this truck.

Can someone tell me why dog mode is being requested so often?
Iā€™m not sure the difference between simply turning it on, locking it, and walking away, other than a note on the infotainment system? Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, Iā€™m just not familiar with what it does on other vehicles.
Sponsored