• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What folks with failed HVB modules have in common

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
You've got an 8 year/100k mile warranty on the pack. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
Frequently it is not the paying for it (warranty), it is having to deal with the dealer, and time your vehicle is unusable
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
See the spreadsheet in my signature for my tracking of issues with the HV battery. Wish everyone would list their build date and mileage. Also interesting would be what you listed, especially typical maximum charge.
‘This is like Gold. Bunch of them with my built month. Some scary stories in there. I am scanning through but will dig deeper when I am back from vacation. Thanks for a great effort.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
This is really bad. My nightmare scenario. All of those milestones are still ahead of me. Same truck as yours and I drive like you do.

Were the modules were different or same module filed twice or three times? If later is the case, it may be incompetent service guys.

I guess you are out of Ford business. How is your Tesla experience?
My service advisor confirmed they were all modules from the original pack. None of the new ones gave me any trouble. While it was a total headache my dealer was pretty good about it. If they weren't so busy and had parts on hand they likely could have fixed the truck in a couple days each time vs the weeks it took to get parts and finish their backlog of other cars.

Haha I’m actually back in a lightning. A couple days after the buyback I found a smoking deal on a 2023 XLT ER and jumped on it. Love the truck so much I’m giving it another go.

My wife’s Tesla has been solid. Never been to the service center in 40,000 miles. So far so good.

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning
People that have already had failed HVB modules, please share your charging and driving habits. All of our HVB packs have cells that are closer to the edge than others. I am trying to see what conditions pushes them over the edge. Of course some packs have cells that are more suicidal than other packs. My truck was built around the same time as many others with failed batteries so there is a chance my pack is high risk. I am mostly interested in things we have control over to delay that dreaded day.

On charging:
  • Did you typically charge to 80%, 90%, 60%..?
  • On the average, at what SOC your pack spent most of its time before it failed?
  • How many kWh of fast charging did you have before it failed?
  • At what kW rates did you do your level 2 charging?
  • How low and how often did you let your SOC go?
  • How many 100% SOC charges did you have?

On driving:
  • Did you drive in sport mode very often?
  • Do you decelerate quickly at stop sign or very gradually?
  • How often did you floor it?

Other:
  • Do you live in hot climate, did your truck spent a lot of time under the sun in summer?
  • When was your truck built? Or if you don’t know purchased?
  • How many miles did you have on your pack when it failed?

If there is any other information you think may be relevant, please do share.

I am not sure if there is in fact a common condition that accelerates HVB failure, but if there is, I am hoping we can find it in this thread.

Relevant threads:

Stats on failiour, Photos, Some failures, Repair Video,
I have a 2023 extended range XLT, 302 pkg. built in September, a month after the assembly line expansion. I received it in November.
I typically charge with the 240V mobile charger in my garage to 80% & run down to 20% & repeat, for my normally 16 mile commute to work in hill country Austin TX. It’s just started to get hot down here and was mild this winter. I await the 80A charger, as I work with our electrician on an easy, cost-effective, manual connection to our house. I’ve only gone on one 270 mile trip to Lumberton, north of Houston & used a fast charger to 90% & 85% on the return. I charged at my kids house in Lumberton, again using my 240V mobile charger. I then went to visit them last weekend & fast charged to 90%. But just outside Houston, I get a get ‘service now’ announcement at ~6200 miles. I didn’t noticed the loss of power at first and made it to my destination. In the morning I tried to charge with the mobile charger and it stopped charging at 67% with a failure notice. It’s then I noticed the power was limited to 57%. The next morning, I leave early knowing I might have a difficult journey. I stop at the first fast charger and it again charges only to 67%, w/a charging rate of 20kW. So I went from charger to charger getting the same results. In total, it added about 4 hours, to my 5 hour trip, but at least it got me home. I was told today that it was the HVB module and they were shipping a new one from Ford in about 7 to 10 days. I rarely drive in sport mode, I stomped on the pedal a few times and my son-in-law did as well, but not much. I enjoy higher mileage over speed and acceleration, & I decelerate gradually at most stoplights, saving brake pads. I love this truck and enjoy driving it every moment. I’m an early adopter and I understand that this stuff happens, so I’m rolling with it as I drive a Mach e in the meanwhile.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
But just outside Houston, I get a get ‘service now’ announcement at ~6200 miles. I didn’t noticed the loss of power at first and made it to my destination. In the morning I tried to charge with the mobile charger and it stopped charging at 67% with a failure notice. It’s then I noticed the power was limited to 57%. The next morning, I leave early knowing I might have a difficult journey. I stop at the first fast charger and it again charges only to 67%, w/a charging rate of 20kW. So I went from charger to charger getting the same results. In total, it added about 4 hours, to my 5 hour trip, but at least it got me home.

This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that it does not leave you stranded. Did you have your CSPs/Recalls done before it happens?

Sponsored

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning
No. Ford made mobile appointments twice and canceled for lack of parts.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I have a 2023 extended range XLT, 302 pkg. built in September, a month after the assembly line expansion. I received it in November.
I typically charge with the 240V mobile charger in my garage to 80% & run down to 20% & repeat, for my normally 16 mile commute to work in hill country Austin TX. It’s just started to get hot down here and was mild this winter. I await the 80A charger, as I work with our electrician on an easy, cost-effective, manual connection to our house. I’ve only gone on one 270 mile trip to Lumberton, north of Houston & used a fast charger to 90% & 85% on the return. I charged at my kids house in Lumberton, again using my 240V mobile charger. I then went to visit them last weekend & fast charged to 90%. But just outside Houston, I get a get ‘service now’ announcement at ~6200 miles. I didn’t noticed the loss of power at first and made it to my destination. In the morning I tried to charge with the mobile charger and it stopped charging at 67% with a failure notice. It’s then I noticed the power was limited to 57%. The next morning, I leave early knowing I might have a difficult journey. I stop at the first fast charger and it again charges only to 67%, w/a charging rate of 20kW. So I went from charger to charger getting the same results. In total, it added about 4 hours, to my 5 hour trip, but at least it got me home. I was told today that it was the HVB module and they were shipping a new one from Ford in about 7 to 10 days. I rarely drive in sport mode, I stomped on the pedal a few times and my son-in-law did as well, but not much. I enjoy higher mileage over speed and acceleration, & I decelerate gradually at most stoplights, saving brake pads. I love this truck and enjoy driving it every moment. I’m an early adopter and I understand that this stuff happens, so I’m rolling with it as I drive a Mach e in the meanwhile.
This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that it does not leave you stranded. Did you have your CSPs/Recalls done before it happens?
I am worried about this as well. My truck is still in the shop, but I have a road trip coming up to NH from NJ. In the event that the rest of my pack has issues, I didn’t want to be stranded 100s of miles away from NJ.
Sponsored