• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What other EV do you own?

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
My wife and I were sold on EVs after owning a MachE for several months, now we have a Taycan Cross Turismo and a Lightning. I always choose the Lightning for around town driving.
Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
2023 Model Y Performance, barely through the engine break in peri... wait a minute ;)

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Currently we have the lightning (me) and an LFP Model 3 (wife). We did briefly have a fiat 500e that we bought to dip our toes into EVs. I loved that little thing. Great to run around town in and park anywhere. The range was frankly terrible but even so it convinced my wife to sell the fiat and her wrangler to get a Model 3. Fun fact I bought the 500e for $5k in late 2020 and then sold it for $10k in early 2022 as gas prices were going to the moon. That helps me feel less bad about buying the Model 3 just under the peak of its pricing.

Lots of EVs in my immediate family though. Parents have an early model 3, sister has a bolt EUV, one brother has a volt, and the other brother has an Audi Etron GT RS.
Psst - don’t tell @TaxmanHog lol.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Tesla MX, charging is so easy and 20 minutes from 10% to 70%.
We rented a model 3 for a road trip that had the lfp battery and the wife commented on how fast it charged. Both stops to charge made it to 100% right as we were getting back in the car.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I test drove a MX and have been thinking about it enough that I must've liked it. What year/trim do you have and would you buy one again?
I have long range with 7 seaters. Would I recommend it? Big question.

Tesla charging is reliable and road trip is much easier, that's the main (or sole) reason I would recommend. Another reason I would recommend is Tesla has made EV for more than a decade and their EVs are proven reliable (enough). I don't mean other EVs like Lightining are not reliable, but with 1st generation it is expected to have some issues.

But MX is (hugely) overpriced, and falcon door is more like a gimmick. I hit my head when I got out while the falcon door was opening. Even with MX, you can NOT and should NOT pay attention to details, it would make you feel depressed.

So if you have $100k to burn and want a larger, fancy, easy to charge and relatively reliable SUV that can make road trips with 7 seaters, MX is the only one you can pick, and expect the assemble quality not even as good as Lightnings.

For other J1774 chargers, it will still take (a few) years to catch up. Not only they are not reliable (close to one quarter are not working properly) but also most of them cannot charge over 150kW.

I am surprised why can't they just use Tesla or Tesla like technology with a small and universal connector which can recognize the vehicles by itself.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
We rented a model 3 for a road trip that had the lfp battery and the wife commented on how fast it charged. Both stops to charge made it to 100% right as we were getting back in the car.
For road trips I would charge to 70-80%. After that charge speed would slow down, a lot.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
For road trips I would charge to 70-80%. After that charge speed would slow down, a lot.
My intention wasn't to wait to 100%, it was just done in about 30 minutes, faster than what I was expecting. I figured it would take almost 30 minutes to go from 90-100 but with the lfp pack that doesn't seem to be the case.
I didn't want to limit the charge % and then get hit with idle fees.
I kinda wish I was getting the lfp packs they are supposed to be switching to for the standard range vehicle, but it doesn't look like Ford is going to make the pro available to retail again.

surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER order. 23 Taycan 4CT, 04 E 320 wagon
My wife and I were sold on EVs after owning a MachE for several months, now we have a Taycan Cross Turismo and a Lightning. I always choose the Lightning for around town driving.
So glad to have found you! I just ordered my Lariat ER and we have a Taycan CT. Already asked this on the Taycan forum, but what is your home charging setup? I have the Porsche wall charger on a 100 amp circuit. Wondering if I can use it to charge the Lightning? Or will I be able to charge the Taycan with the Ford charger that comes with the Lariat ER? Thanks.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So glad to have found you! I just ordered my Lariat ER and we have a Taycan CT. Already asked this on the Taycan forum, but what is your home charging setup? I have the Porsche wall charger on a 100 amp circuit. Wondering if I can use it to charge the Lightning? Or will I be able to charge the Taycan with the Ford charger that comes with the Lariat ER? Thanks.
Since both claim to be J1772-compliant, it should work both ways.

Sponsored

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
Yes, definitely compatible- both are J1772.

I use a Grizzl-E charger to charge both. I haven’t felt the need to install the Ford charge station Pro as I limit my charge speed to 7.5kw.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado sold
Ford 6/2022
Rivian 4/2023

Ford F-150 Lightning What other EV do you own? IMG_6214

Ford F-150 Lightning What other EV do you own? IMG_8161

Ford F-150 Lightning What other EV do you own? IMG_7655

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
None yet. F150 in July/August will be the first. We are looking at the ID.Buzz to come to the US...

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
First Model 3 - RWD in June 2018 (signed up on reveal night in 2016). Loved it so much got rid of the 2014 F-150 and bought a second Model 3, AWD, in Nov 2018.

All EV at that point.

July 2022 - sold the AWD 3 when my Lightning arrived. The Lightning rides incredible, technology (lack of it) sucks and drives me nuts every day.

April 2023 - sold RWD 3 and bought Performance Y. Nice improvements in ride quality, build is perfect. A lot of fun to drive, with technology to match.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
My intention wasn't to wait to 100%, it was just done in about 30 minutes, faster than what I was expecting. I figured it would take almost 30 minutes to go from 90-100 but with the lfp pack that doesn't seem to be the case.
I didn't want to limit the charge % and then get hit with idle fees.
I kinda wish I was getting the lfp packs they are supposed to be switching to for the standard range vehicle, but it doesn't look like Ford is going to make the pro available to retail again.
Own a 2022 LFP RWD TM3 and also a 2023 Lightning SR Pro.

The benefits of LFP far outweigh any liabilities. 100% charging is a game changer. Just charge it and use what you paid for. Don’t worry about a thermal runaway event. Do not worry about degradation. The Pro is ideal candidate for LFP.
Sponsored