• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What percentage should I charge my battery to daily using the Ford Charge Station Pro?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Some say there are buffers in the packs below 0 and above 100 to protect, but I don't know if we have that proof yet. Even with a buffer, 20 to 80 is the sweet spot commonly known. Posts above show the Ford recommendation and there are 1000's of LiION research papers out there. It doesn't matter what Ford sets the default at, that could have been an intern responsible for the last update/test before the code went to production. 100% nightly is not their recommendation nor would I ever.

If you are headed out on a trip sure - charge it up to get you good range on that leg. If you need to drive it down to 2% go for it, just don't leave it there, get it charging again soon. The extremes can be used anytime they are needed - just don't stay there low or high. 20 to 80 (or maybe even 90 - Elon says it is OK for Tesla's) if your daily driving allows you to keep it there you are golden. Adjust from there for what you need.

The other Tesla saying is a Plugged in Tesla is a Happy Tesla. It will manage the battery overnight or for 6 months if you need to leave it long term.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It seems battery temperature gauge rises noticeably after just one DC fast charge at full capability of truck, even with max tow. If finishing trip that includes fast charging with say 5% SOC and battery temperature still well above the middle tick (but not in caution area) - start L2 recharging immediately or allow battery temp to lower first which can take many hours or an overnight? Seems like competing negatives. My gut says theoretical best on battery would be letting it cool to ambient, but practically better off putting miles back in if for if they might be needed on short notice. Even if one is better than the other, it is hard to know if it makes any quantifiable difference in the real world. What say you?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It seems battery temperature gauge rises noticeably after just one DC fast charge at full capability of truck, even with max tow. If finishing trip that includes fast charging with say 5% SOC and battery temperature still well above the middle tick (but not in caution area) - start L2 recharging immediately or allow battery temp to lower first which can take many hours or an overnight? Seems like competing negatives. My gut says theoretical best on battery would be letting it cool to ambient, but practically better off putting miles back in if for if they might be needed on short notice. Even if one is better than the other, it is hard to know if it makes any quantifiable difference in the real world. What say you?
There will be a thousand scenarios and no perfect answer. I'm not an expert, but will only note that if the battery needs cooling the truck will cool it, if it needs warming it should warm it (if there is a way, I haven't thought about this one specifically do our trucks have the ability to heat the battery).

However - you note the battery temp still up from from fast charging and driving but you pull in with 5% should you go ahead and start the L2 charging? That L2 will generate very little heat compared to the DCFC or driving. If it is that hot you might let it cool a bit, but truly the truck should cool it if it needs, I would plug in and L2 charge.

I had a trip back in April - warm day 80's and I'd put 140 miles on (Model 3), then added the SC as my destination the car still started heating/conditioning the battery for the charge. It thought it still could be warmer than it already was, kind of surprising. To say the least I know I'm comparing a Tesla, but you need good heat in there for efficient charging at a DCFC. Getting home and plugging into L2 is night and day difference. I'd let charge while it is hot and it will likely be more efficient.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
If your daily commute is less than 100 miles, try to keep soc between 20-80%, you only want to charge to 100% when you set for a long trip, and you'd better set it to 100% when you leave.

For DC charge, after 90% charge speed would be much slower, you don't want to waste time to charge after 90%. I won't not charge over 80% with DC if possible.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I thought I read that the first Lightnings were supposed to have LG Chem batteries until SK Battery America production ramped
I very much hope not.
This article from Sept 2021 indicates that SK's first 9.8 GWh plant was supposed to start production by 1Q22, almost simultaneous with the beginning of Lightning production. LG Chem was the fallback producer until SKI/LG solved their IP dispute. That's good news.

https://insideevs.com/news/536883/us-sk-innovation-battery-150gwh/

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Sorry, this information is only passed on to our consortium members. I can only give my thoughts based on my experience and observations, not the actual data.

If you are a company and willing to pony up $80k per year, you will have access to the data.
Won’t that 80k buy 2 or 3 battery pack replacements?
or my next upgraded ev?

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Based on the Ford support link above, I've had ours set to 90% charge overnight. In my wife's normal driving that starts her day with around 250mi of range on a Lariat ER. She uses around 25-30% most days, and it takes around 3-4hrs to charge overnight @48A.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ightning-charging-frequently-asked-questions/

What charge level is recommended for daily driving?
Ford recommends that you charge to 90% for everyday driving and charge to 100% when you need the full range for a trip. Charging to 90% helps prolong the life of your battery.
I came here to see how many people would post speculations and guesses based on internet hearsay before somebody finally cited Ford's official recommendations.

It only took 18 posts, although I'm sure many people will still disregard this and do whatever they think is best based on their Googling.

Either way I'm sure the battery will outlast the length of time most people own their Lightning, but I will stick to the Ford guidance for most charges.

TadCurious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don't know how much SK has derated the Lightning pack, but I should find out sometime next year! We have secured a truck to test on come December time frame. Figure six months of vehicle benchmarking before I get to drop the battery and take it down to the cell level.

With that being said, a cell prefers 30%-80% (20% at worst) State of Charge (SOC) for cycling. Also likes the same temperatures that humans like. Every cycle will cause degradation in the cell but not enough for you to notice for several years. I found the last SK battery pack I tested had derated the pack by almost 50% (the part that the BMS allowed you to use was about 50% of the actual capacity of what the number of cells included in the pack could do.)

If you hear me say I might decide to trade this in before my normal three-year cycle, you should be worried about what I found :sneaky:
Wow Mickey! Canary in the coal mine. I will be watching your posts. I feel there is a lot of tribal-myth-legend advice but not enough real world data. Love to see what folks compile over the next few years. In the meantime, I will be happy knowing my in-range trips to HD and the nursery be gas and range anxiety free!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly, I've been trying to get through the entire manual and it's extremely long .
$80,000 truck. Download from owner.ford.com to all your devices.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With Charge Scheduling, you can improve
the high voltage battery's longevity by
delaying the start of charging and setting
a maximum charging limit. We recommend
you set your preferred charging times to
be at least 2-3 hours after your typical plug
in time. This allows the battery to cool