• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

When did Instrument Panel Charge level & Speedometer change from blue to white w stripes? and other design questions!

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
What update made the change in the color scheme going from mostly blue to mostly white for the dials for charge level and speed? [Update: @brucek2 & @idahospud point out that White indicates Sport mode!]

What is with the jagged dips on the outside of the curves at 25% intervals for charge level and at 20mph intervals for speed? @Ford Motor Company .

The thin incomplete lines inside the curves are also bizarre. I wonder if there is an optimal way to show these in an analog style. Would vertical bars beat partial circles?

At least there is the little State of Charge number, for most of us?, next to the analog partial circle display. Battery and both Motor temperatures could use a digital number next to the horizontial bars. Who is designing this stuff?

Update 6.8? looks like the speed limit sign has been moved to the left of the speedometer which is ok.

And what is the meaning of the steering wheel image above the power and charge curves? Lane keeping was on, so it is not to show that my hands were off the wheel, right? Maybe I had steering wheel heating on? Maybe this is indicating Sport Mode as well?

Thanks for your insights!
Ford F-150 Lightning When did Instrument Panel Charge level & Speedometer change from blue to white w stripes? and other design questions! IMG_20231208_111854941 Instrument Panel battery charge and speedometer white stripes, what upd

Ford F-150 Lightning When did Instrument Panel Charge level & Speedometer change from blue to white w stripes? and other design questions! IMG_20230725_120600796 a couple of tire pressures missing after update - showed later in FordP

[The tire pressures were not reading on the left side after an update, but came back later.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
The color changes in accordance with your current drive mode. White is associated with "Sport" mode.

OP
OP
GoodSam

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
White is associated with "Sport" mode.
Nice, Thank you! Is this indicated in the manual or did you just make the association by observation? I just started trying to use Sport mode more often. I am not sure I can detect any difference in acceleration, regen, or road handling.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Nice, Thank you! Is this indicated in the manual or did you just make the association by observation? I just started trying to use Sport mode more often. I am not sure I can detect any difference in acceleration, regen, or road handling.
I don't know if it's in the manual but I noticed when changing modes. I definitely feel a change in handling when in sports mode. Specifically, I think there is a quicker throttle and steering response.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Um, there's an icon right on the dash (from your picture):
Ford F-150 Lightning When did Instrument Panel Charge level & Speedometer change from blue to white w stripes? and other design questions! 1702423939277

OP
OP
GoodSam

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Um, there's an icon right on the dash (from your picture):
I thot that I was heading west-south!
They could probably spelll out "Sport" there vs. "Norml", "Tow", and "Off-Rd". I will need to check more of the differences on the screen when in the various drive modes.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I think in Sport mode the regen is a little more aggressive, throttle response is more sensitive, and the steering is stiffer (less power assist).

Personally I would like to have an option in Normal mode to have the same regen setting as Sport mode. Makes 1-pedal driving easier.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I think in Sport mode the regen is a little more aggressive, throttle response is more sensitive, and the steering is stiffer (less power assist).

Personally I would like to have an option in Normal mode to have the same regen setting as Sport mode. Makes 1-pedal driving easier.
One of the things the MachE got right is having the Whisper, Engage and Unbridled modes, then having a "low gear" that increased the simulated engine drag using the motor regen in all of those. Not even talking about 1PD yet there are 6 levels of regen "drag".

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
One of the things the MachE got right is having the Whisper, Engage and Unbridled modes, then having a "low gear" that increased the regen in all of those. Not even talking about 1PD yet there are 6 levels of regen "drag".
That’s not correct. “L” simply turns on 1PD if its not already on.
Ford F-150 Lightning When did Instrument Panel Charge level & Speedometer change from blue to white w stripes? and other design questions! IMG_0744

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
That’s not correct. “L” simply turns on 1PD if its not already on.
IMG_0744.jpeg
Re-read that screenshot, It specifically says L doesn't do anything if your in 1PD, but I can assure you from experience that it does not turn on 1PD. The car would not come to a stop in L, it just added more simulated engine drag.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Re-read that screenshot, It specifically says L doesn't do anything if your in 1PD, but I can assure you from experience that it does not turn on 1PD. The car would not come to a stop in L, it just added more simulated engine drag.
It doesn’t change the level of regen, the same regen is available by using the brake pedal.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
It doesn’t change the level of regen, the same regen is available by using the brake pedal.
Maybe a miscommunication then. I'm not trying to say more or less regen is possible, I'm saying that when in L it simulates a higher amount of engine drag using the motor's regen, thus regenerating more to the battery.
Sponsored