• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Where did the extra range (230 to 240) come from?

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I find it hard to believe that heated seats suddenly improved range. I get that it’s HVAC related efficiency improvements but I don’t see how heated seats achieved that.

All it is is ford massaging EPA testing methods. There's no difference for people in warm climates, and realistically people won't notice a range difference of 10 miles ... That's within normal day to day fluctuations based on weather.

Ford could force an ECO mode by default that always has 1 pedal driving, and less acceleration and get a better EPA score as well. It's what the Ioniq 5 does to an extent.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
I should have been more explicit as it relates to driver comfort, cabin temp, and butt/back temp.
But that's actually how those tests work, there's an AC test and a Cold weather test. I'm not quite sure the exact testing parameters, but the cold weather test requires the heat to be turned on. It may be that Ford can just turn on the seat heaters to satisfy that retirement.

krusshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2016 Ram 1500
But that's actually how those tests work, there's an AC test and a Cold weather test. I'm not quite sure the exact testing parameters, but the cold weather test requires the heat to be turned on. It may be that Ford can just turn on the seat heaters to satisfy that retirement.
And that’s why I find it suspect. It’s not a true efficiency improvement.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
And that’s why I find it suspect. It’s not a true efficiency improvement.
You are correct. Ford and all EV manufacturers do the actual testing themselves, using the EPA-specified protocols, which include many options from which the manufacturers can choose. Tesla tends to be aggressive in applying the methodology and only folks in moderate climates routinely hit the estimates. Porsche chose a very conservative method and got slammed with its initial 190-210 range on the Taycan, which virtually everyone is beating.

Ford apparently determined that for the smaller battery versions of the Lightning, it can afford to push the advertised range within the EPA protocol, so elected to add the heated seats to all models, eliminate that variable in the cold weather EPA model, and bump it by 10 miles.

You will see no change in the real world for your truck, there's no OTA update coming, nor do the newer trucks have any engineering changes or added real world miles, except possibly the trucks getting heated seats as standard. Even then, owners would need to dial back cabin temps and use the seats more extensively, for a very marginal difference. In my prior Teslas, there was a settings option called "Range Mode" that does that very thing.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
And you will need the heat anyway to keep the windows clear. That or drive with the windows open when it is 20 degrees outside. Heated windshields are great for keeping the windshield clear in the cold, but not available on the f150.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Thats our warm weather climate secret... We are always warm and have that extra range by default.
Yes, it's a great place to be when winter months makes everyone else crazy & panicky and we get to "bask" in the sun without worrying about range.

Gotta love So Cal.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Use the web reports for real world mpg-e.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
And you will need the heat anyway to keep the windows clear. That or drive with the windows open when it is 20 degrees outside. Heated windshields are great for keeping the windshield clear in the cold, but not available on the f150.
You often don't need heat for that, just air blowing over the windows will keep them from fogging.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
You often don't need heat for that, just air blowing over the windows will keep them from fogging.
Yes, but in my experience I have not been able to turn on the fan to blow on the windshield without the heat turning on. Actually, it will do to he at if I select LO for the temperature. These automatic climate control systems really need a fan only, no heat, option for keeping the windshield clear. A short drive with heated seats and steering wheel and appropriate apparel can be ok without heat if you can see out.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Yes, but in my experience I have not been able to turn on the fan to blow on the windshield without the heat turning on. Actually, it will do to he at if I select LO for the temperature. These automatic climate control systems really need a fan only, no heat, option for keeping the windshield clear.
Have you tried setting the climate control to maintain the cabin temp at outside temp?

When these automated systems work they're painless but get real frustrating when they fight you.
Sponsored