• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

To the Standard Range people. Any regrets not going Extended Range?

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
It's our 7th EV (1st gen leaf, BMW i3, Kona EV, Ioniq EV, Clarity , Tesla M3) , for us the ER is the no brainer choice for our intention (sub 200 miles won't be adequate for us after all those years of EV experiments). One of the thing I agree with Elon Musk is that he insisted "all Tesla EV must have at least 250 miles or more" . However, I fully understand why SR will be more than enough for most of the other users here.
Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Did you get the 4.1.1 update yet? Mine went from ~200 at 90% to ~260. I suspect the 200 was more accurate though.
Not yet! I will look for it.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Charged my SR to 90% yesterday : 221 miles

Mostly 60mph or less recently, though.
That is crazy! Ive got the OEM AT tires but still- I feel like I drive like an old lady. 65-70mph though...

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
That is crazy! Ive got the OEM AT tires but still- I feel like I drive like an old lady. 65-70mph though...
What are the weather conditions in your area? Do you have it set to finish charging right before you drive? If the truck lives outside in the cold that makes this even more critical.

I don’t have my Lightning yet, but having owned other EVs, preconditioning and timed charging make a big difference in cold weather.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
What are the weather conditions in your area? Do you have it set to finish charging right before you drive? If the truck lives outside in the cold that makes this even more critical.

I don’t have my Lightning yet, but having owned other EVs, preconditioning and timed charging make a big difference in cold weather.
Im in San Diego... :)

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
😮 Not what I wanted to hear!
I think this is what is happening. 300 miles goes to 270 with 90% charging. 270 goes to 240 with the more rolling resistance tires. My driving style takes it to 225. If you don't need the AT tires that would buy you range each and every day. In my case, I think I do need them. Again, Im just really glad I went with the ER. steve

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
So far it has not been a significant issue for me. If I were able to get the ER for $10k instead of $19k (I got a base XLT) I would have gone for the ER, but at this point I don't mind the SR.

Sponsored

cjb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat SR, 2016 Mazda CX-9
If I'd gotten an early '22 invite I probably would have ordered an ER. Soon as the price increase happened, I took a serious look at how I'd be using the truck and bought a SR. I've only used a DC fast charger once (on the drive home from the dealer). Even living in the tundra with the bitter cold this last week I'm only using about 25% charge on my daily, maybe 50% on the weekends when I'm doing more running about. We have an ICE for the rare instances we need to do a road trip.

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
During the months of December, January, February I’m going to be wishing I had bought the ER. One thing I overlooked was the amount of energy consumed by the climate control in winter.

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
No regrets yet as I don't tow and Haven't done road trips yet. So far sr is enough for what I need even though we had a cold spell here which decrease range but still usable for me. Not lugging extra 400 lbs everytime I drive makes me feel my decision is the right one.

Griswold22

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
smart EQ, Honda Pilot
XLT high SR in cold Québec weather is just fine for me. In my opinion, range is overrated and overpriced.
With the multiple price increases for MY23, the Pro is now going for more than my MY22 XLT.
Of course, you have to allow more travel time for longer trips but with just some minimal planning, you can make the most of these stops. And don’t forget that longer range will often require longer charge time and that the trip will cost you the same energy.
As for range anxiety, consider that I have been driving a pair of smart ED since 2013, less than 100 miles range, without ever being stranded on the side of the road.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
And don’t forget that longer range will often require longer charge time and that the trip will cost you the same energy.

I think that I read months ago that the ER batteries charge just as fast as the SR batts. I may have read or misinterpreted what I read wrong tho.
Sponsored