• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why doesnt the heater work with cabin re-circulation?

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
So with so many complaints about poor range or range impact in general, and only having a resistive heat system (vs heat pump), why does the HVAC recirculation not stay on? When I set mine to turn on recirculation, it turns off within a few minutes - maybe 2...maybe 10...there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to how long it stays on, but every time it turns off within a short timeframe.

But why? Seems like it would be much more efficient to warm already warm air vs outside air - LIKE BY DEFAULT - seems like you would have to manually turn it off to get fresh air in the winter.

Or is this just my truck?
Sponsored

Last edited:

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Can't speak to the Lightning as I don't have mine yet, but many (most?) times, if you leave recirculate on, the moisture will build up inside the vehicle and the windows will fog. But regardless, they should still allow the operator to decide when to have it on or off. That's the way ICE vehicles work now, and some how we've survived.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
So with so many complaints about poor range or range impact in general, and only having a resistive heat system (vs heat pump), why does the HVAC recirculation not stay on? When I set mine to turn on recirculation, it turns off within a few minutes - maybe 2...maybe 10...there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to how long it stays on, but every time it turns off within a short timeframe.

But why? Seems like it would be much more efficient to warm already warm air vs outside air - LIKE BY DEFAULT - seems like you would have to manually turn it off to get fresh air in the winter.

Mine too, I turned it on about a mile from a dairy farm and by the time I drove by šŸ„šŸ’© I was smelling poo and it was offā€¦ they really need to fix this! Also at least on lariat and higher thereā€™s no lighted button where you can see that it turned off..

OP
OP
flyin525

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Perhaps there is a cabin moisture sensor that's shutting it off?

Interesting thought - although it never gets to the point where the windows actually fog. it always turns off well before

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
high CO2 level and its saving your life! or maybe not, just joking ;)

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

Yes I noticed this on my Lariat as well. I have the same questions.

šŸ‘‹ HELLO FORD!!! Please fix this silly setup!!!

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Watch this from 26:30. He makes a comment about the climate control automatically turning on the recirculation. Clearly they are trying to manage this for you and I assume if they turn it on automatically, they turn it off too.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This "silly setup" has been this way for YEARS. Not new to EVs, not new to Ford. It's done for moisture build-up.

And, due to issues back on the Explorer with CO2...

From another site:

Ford's recirc strategy (since the 90's) has always included an automatic "purge" cycle that opens up the fresh air every so often. Otherwise people would eventually pass out in the cabin from buildup of carbon dioxide (it would act as a sealed room). However on ICE vehicles it used to be a much longer period, maybe up to 30 minutes before the vent opens for several minutes.

Since the Police Explorer carbon monoxide recalls in 2017, Ford has been much more proactive about maintaining fresh air in the cabin, which means automatically disabling recirc more often and for longer. In the case of the Mach-E, the recirc is disabled to prevent window fogging, which uses more energy to remove.

Fix:

Select air discharging to top vents only (no defrost or lower vents). E-Heat on, and activate the recirculate, then it will stay on. Do NOT select Auto. If the windows fog, switch to defrost which will turn off recirculate, then manual back to vents, turn E-Heat on, and activate recirculate.

Vents and floor, or just floor, will time out the recirculate.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This "silly setup" has been this way for YEARS. Not new to EVs, not new to Ford. It's done for moisture build-up.

From another site:

Ford's recirc strategy (since the 90's) has always included an automatic "purge" cycle that opens up the fresh air every so often. Otherwise people would eventually pass out in the cabin from buildup of carbon dioxide (it would act as a sealed room). However on ICE vehicles it used to be a much longer period, maybe up to 30 minutes before the vent opens for several minutes.

Since the Police Explorer carbon monoxide recalls in 2017, Ford has been much more proactive about maintaining fresh air in the cabin, which means automatically disabling recirc more often and for longer. In the case of the Mach-E, the recirc is disabled to prevent window fogging, which uses more energy to remove.

Fix:

Select air discharging to top vents only (no defrost or lower vents). E-Heat on, and activate the recirculate, then it will stay on. Do NOT select Auto. If the windows fog, switch to defrost which will turn off recirculate, then manual back to vents, turn E-Heat on, and activate recirculate.

Good to know - thanks!

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Stuck this thread at the top of General topics

punkzappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Havenā€™t tried it on the Lightning but with my ICE cars, I would turn on AC (even with the heater on) to help dehumidify the cabin. Iā€™m wondering if this combined with E-heat will keep the recirculation on.

punkzappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Havenā€™t tried it on the Lightning but with my ICE cars, I would turn on AC (even with the heater on) to help dehumidify the cabin. Iā€™m wondering if this combined with E-heat will keep the recirculation on.
Tested this today on my drive. With AC and E-heat on, recirculation stays on.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

From another site:

Fix:

My CO2 comment was too far off base. Nice info

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
E-heat should NEVER be turned off. Makes absolutely no sense that should even be a thing. Its entirely redundant with the temperature knob.

I was messing around trying to thaw my windows of outside ice, and tried the recirc setting (thinking the cabin air at 0 would be better than pulling in -15 air from outside). Did not realize that the recirc button had disabled the E-heat. Took me a while of wondering why the system was blowing cold air to notice the E-heat switch had turned itself off.

The temperature setting being significantly higher than the outside air should be your clue that the driver wants some fricken warm air!
Sponsored