• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range

RDeFran

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 SRW Duramax, 2010 M3
Occupation
Technician
It is all about lifestyle and environment. I need the ER because I do a short distance heavy trailer pull twice a month and can't be caught low on range. I have a Duramax 3500 for heavy long distance, it runs right at GVWR at 31k. Several of my friends would be fine with a SR all the time, especially since they can plug in at home. EV are impractical for my daughter, as she can't plug in at home or at work, and her commute/lifestyle does not have her near charging stations regularly.
Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for sharing this @IdeaOfTheDayCom -

100% agree that range anxiety seems to come from folks who have never had an EV or other EV drivers who tout the need for more range or because others on social media will scoff at non ER buyers....

I am lucky to have a PHEV for 4 years which taught me a lot about EV driving.

17kHh battery made me charge every night and drive totally different than my ICE vehicles focusing on how to get as much range as possible (coasting, light braking, paddle regen, no cabin heating, etc) - sort of a game.

Now that my Lightning is being built, I ordered the SR as I don't need more than 25 miles per day. My daily commute plus any weekend use will make charging a once a week routine.

I am very satisfied that I chose the SR with 230 miles of range which is more than I need and if I do take trips, I'll stop at more charge stations to rest and stretch since I need frequent rest stops along the way due to my back and sciatica.

My ABRP map to drive to MT from CA and fish the rivers in my Lightning:
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM.png
Thanks for sharing this @IdeaOfTheDayCom -

100% agree that range anxiety seems to come from folks who have never had an EV or other EV drivers who tout the need for more range or because others on social media will scoff at non ER buyers....

I am lucky to have a PHEV for 4 years which taught me a lot about EV driving.

17kHh battery made me charge every night and drive totally different than my ICE vehicles focusing on how to get as much range as possible (coasting, light braking, paddle regen, no cabin heating, etc) - sort of a game.

Now that my Lightning is being built, I ordered the SR as I don't need more than 25 miles per day. My daily commute plus any weekend use will make charging a once a week routine.

I am very satisfied that I chose the SR with 230 miles of range which is more than I need and if I do take trips, I'll stop at more charge stations to rest and stretch since I need frequent rest stops along the way due to my back and sciatica.

My ABRP map to drive to MT from CA and fish the rivers in my Lightning:
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM.png
What is this map saying, Did you stop to chstge 11 times each showing the charge times.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I camp in the Adirondacks, but I don't tow a camper. That's going to be the biggest challenge for me each year. It's a very long drive from the NYC area, and there's a big elevation change, and very few places to charge when I get near the camp sites.
I’ve done that drive. First couple of times I was around 900Wh/mi. I eventually learned to change my driving habits to average 550-650Wh/mi instead.

It is not one I enjoyed and would’ve preferred a diesel. I routinely had to go 30+ minutes out of the way to find a charger.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
What is this map saying, Did you stop to chstge 11 times each showing the charge times.
No, it's a suggested route using ABRP DCFC stations (EA) to get small charges - not full charge.

In reality, I would charge to near 100% when ever I would stop and go longer distances between stations.

Also, where ever I would stay over night I would find a hotel that has L2 (not DCFC) to recharge fully overnight.

Going for 100% charge each time, I figured I would route my CA to MT trip with 2 overnight hotels stays + 4 DCFC stations.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You're not going to charge to near 100% at a DC charger, unless Ford made a drastic change in the speed of charging about 80 and then 90%.

When you use ABRP, you can pick few stops but longer, quickest arrival, or short but many (and two in between settings.

One of the reasons that it puts in so many stops is that you can't make it from one to the next going down to 10% and not charging over 80%. For example, with my Mach-E that route has me stop in Baker, CA with 25% charge, and only charge to 49%, and then drive another 85 miles to charge again. Why? Because at the next stop, I'm getting 58% charge (from 10 to 68%). 49% + 58% is 107%, i.e. not possible. So, there's little reason to charge more than 49% if you have to stop at the next one.

Sponsored

DKZB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500
I want to be able to drive from NJ to central FL. We usually do it as 16 hrs straight. With my ER battery and highway driving, wondering how much time charging will add to the trip. Any advice on the best route planning website/app?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I am only afraid of one situation, when you arrive planned charge location with little juice, chargers are broken.
That is a concern. When I drove home from CA on Jan 2, my last stop had 1 out of 3 chargers broken. Fortunately I arrived when there was only one other cars waiting so I only had to wait an extra 30 min.

Also, after installing an update that improves the charge curve, I pulled into the only EA station near me, I plugged in and was only getting 1 kW rate. After 10 min, another plug freed up and I started getting normal charge.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I want to be able to drive from NJ to central FL. We usually do it as 16 hrs straight. With my ER battery and highway driving, wondering how much time charging will add to the trip. Any advice on the best route planning website/app?
That’s 1000 miles, I assume you need 6 stops each 45-60min.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
https://abetterrouteplanner.com
Also if you plan to stop overnight look for a hotel that has L2 charger. And maybe invest in TeslaTap or something similar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I am only afraid of one situation, when you arrive planned charge location with little juice, chargers are broken.
I see a lot of broken free chargers at shopping malls, but when it's a paid high speed DC charger, they tend to be working... but sometimes they're in-use. Thankfully most of the DC chargers have a 1 hour time limit.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
https://abetterrouteplanner.com
Also if you plan to stop overnight look for a hotel that has L2 charger. And maybe invest in TeslaTap or something similar.
I picked up a TeslaTap because I want to have flexibility in case I come across a site that only has a Tesla Destination charger. So far, I've never tried it, but I feel better knowing it's in my Frunk.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
The range is sooooo person dependent.

How you drive and where you drove going to be the biggest factors.

But you're right imo. 230 miles is plenty of range for most people.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I have had that in the backroads of 'murica where I was looking for a gas station, and they were all gone!

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The range is sooooo person dependent.

How you drive and where you drove going to be the biggest factors.

But you're right imo. 230 miles is plenty of range for most people.
Honestly, 230 would be fine for our house. We currently are driving a Kia Niro EV (because the Soul EV is in the shop) and it gets 230. Compared to the short range the Soul has, it feels like a dream.

However, we do road trips about 4x per year that exceed this range, occasionally tow a trailer for about 150 miles one way, and really want the whole home backup.

So the ER battery just makes sense for us. True, most of the time 230 miles is way more than enough, but closing out those edge cases is what we really need.

If it were possible to charge at 800 volts, it would be perfect, but we can live with slower charging.
Sponsored