• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Still, you need to change the habit of driving and arrange extra time for charging.
For me, one of the most common road trips that I take is between Dallas and Lubbock. I usually stop in Cisco and/or Abilene and then sweetwater for lunch. If I charge in Cisco and then in Sweetwater I can make the trip. I'll add less than 30 minutes to my normal trip. Now if we wanted to take the camper trailer...even with the ER, I would be pushing it to make it between Sweetwater and Lubbock.
Sponsored

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
You don't have range anxiety because of what you pointed out yourself.

The truth is most of us drive less than 100 miles per day, and although getting quite a bit more than that is helpful, it's not necessary, provided you have SOMEPLACE nearby, preferably home to charge your vehicle on a regular basis.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You can make some tweaks to the trip. At meal times, you can go and tell it at that stop you will charge for a specific time, or to a specific percentage. Also if you stop overnight, then you can set that stop to be charging to 100%. That long of a trip should have an overnight stay so between meals, restroom and overnight, you are going to have 4 hours of stopping that you would have in any vehicle.
We did a test run with our ICE F150 on a family vacation last year - Pigeon forge TN to near Albany NY (~850 miles). Would have been a little under 13 hours of straight driving. As a family, it took us a little about 15.5 hours door to door, including all stops (bathroom breaks, fuel, food). Same route in a Lightning (ER) would take about 16 hours including charging stops - so effectively the same if you align the charging with bathroom and eating breaks.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
We did a test run with our ICE F150 on a family vacation last year - Pigeon forge TN to near Albany NY (~850 miles). Would have been a little under 13 hours of straight driving. As a family, it took us a little about 15.5 hours door to door, including all stops (bathroom breaks, fuel, food). Same route in a Lightning (ER) would take about 16 hours including charging stops - so effectively the same if you align the charging with bathroom and eating breaks.
As a former Dollywood train conductor, I applaud this family trip!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As a former Dollywood train conductor, I applaud this family trip!
Yeah - it was a great time. My Father lives outside of Nashville, so we drove down to hang with him awhile. Stayed near Nashville for a few days (and took a trip down to Huntsville for the space center), then my Father rented a cabin in Pigeon Forge and stayed there a few days to hit Dollywood (wonderful park) and Gatlinburg. All it it was just under a 2,500 mile trip.

Had to get a brake job in Tennessee, they gave out coming back from Huntsville. Beside that my 2015 XLT did great!

Sponsored

pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hopeful lightning
I'm hoping to order a 2023 PRO and stopped worrying about the standard range once I realized I would be "saving" nearly $600 an hour during the few extra charging stops I would need to make during my infrequent road trips. Hear me out...

In recent years, I've made one or two road trips in excess of 230 miles one-way each year (460 miles round trip). So let's imagine a scenario wherein I own this truck for 10 years and even increase my road trips to three per year (each one 300 miles one way, 600 round trip). The extended range truck would get me there without needing to recharge en route, while the SR truck would require two extra recharges, one during each leg of the road trip back and forth. Three trips a year means six extra charging stops per year and 60 extra charging stops over the 10 year life of the truck.

If an 80% fast-charge takes 40 minutes then I'm "wasting" 80 minutes per trip, 4 hours per year and 40 hours over the life of the truck.

Since I'm a PRO guy, the ER battery represents a $23,000 premium for me. So I can take that savings and divide it by the 40 hours of extra charging over the lifetime of the truck and comfort myself that I'm saving about $575 per hour every time I take an extra break to charge on a road trip.

If I only take two road trips a year, instead of three, then I save $863 per charging hour.

If I take three trips per year and only own the truck for five years, then I'll save $1,150 per charging our.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm hoping to order a 2023 PRO and stopped worrying about the standard range once I realized I would be "saving" nearly $600 an hour during the few extra charging stops I would need to make during my infrequent road trips. Hear me out...

In recent years, I've made one or two road trips in excess of 230 miles one-way each year (460 miles round trip). So let's imagine a scenario wherein I own this truck for 10 years and even increase my road trips to three per year (each one 300 miles one way, 600 round trip). The extended range truck would get me there without needing to recharge en route, while the SR truck would require two extra recharges, one during each leg of the road trip back and forth. Three trips a year means six extra charging stops per year and 60 extra charging stops over the 10 year life of the truck.

If an 80% fast-charge takes 40 minutes then I'm "wasting" 80 minutes per trip, 4 hours per year and 40 hours over the life of the truck.

Since I'm a PRO guy, the ER battery represents a $23,000 premium for me. So I can take that savings and divide it by the 40 hours of extra charging over the lifetime of the truck and comfort myself that I'm saving about $575 per hour every time I take an extra break to charge on a road trip.

If I only take two road trips a year, instead of three, then I save $863 per charging hour.

If I take three trips per year and only own the truck for five years, then I'll save $1,150 per charging our.
That $23k upcharge gets you a LOT of creature comforts, but if those aren't important to you, than you math checks out!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
That $23k upcharge gets you a LOT of creature comforts, but if those aren't important to you, than you math checks out!
And 128 horsepower!

I bought the "fast" Tesla because I wanted maximum fun. It was already a largely irrational purchase, but I've never regretted it. I looked at the ER the same way.

The calculation on charging stops is definitely a great objective perspective to assign value to the larger battery. "So, just how important is stopping less to you?" For me, the buyer's remorse for not buying the best I can afford often hurts the most. I remember the "well if I'd only opted for xyz..." situations more than I remember the size of the check. I also tend to hang on to things longer if I buy the higher trim, and that ultimately saves me money vs. replacing things more frequently.

I do have a lot of Harbor Freight tools though so I am not very consistent in my strategy to "buy the best I can afford..." People are weird.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Welcome to forum fellow Mass Resident, are you aware of the Mor-EV-Trucks credit?
https://mor-ev.org/mor-ev-trucks

Unfortunately the Consumer (non-fleet) version of the PRO being limited to the standard range battery will not qualify by GVWR for a possible $7500 (MASS CREDIT) not to be confused with the $7500 federal credit.

A modest upgrade to an XLT-ER with A/S tires and even MAX TOW would get you qualified and improve the future sale value !!

pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hopeful lightning
Welcome to forum fellow Mass Resident, are you aware of the Mor-EV-Trucks credit?
https://mor-ev.org/mor-ev-trucks

Unfortunately the Consumer (non-fleet) version of the PRO being limited to the standard range battery will not qualify by GVWR for a possible $7500 (MASS CREDIT) not to be confused with the $7500 federal credit.

A modest upgrade to an XLT-ER with A/S tires and even MAX TOW would get you qualified and improve the future sale value !!
Taxman, your name checks out! Thank you for passing that information along. I did not know that.

Ok, so now I'm reconsidering for a moment because I certainly wouldn't mind subsidized range... but that graphic did make me consider the weight difference for the first time. Do I want to always be that much heavier given my limited use profile? It would probably be harder to stop, handle and dig out of sand. So at least for me, that keeps me in a smaller battery for now

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Taxman, your name checks out! Thank you for passing that information along. I did not know that.

Ok, so now I'm reconsidering for a moment because I certainly wouldn't mind subsidized range... but that graphic did make me consider the weight difference for the first time. Do I want to always be that much heavier given my limited use profile? It would probably be harder to stop, handle and dig out of sand. So at least for me, that keeps me in a smaller battery for now
All depends on your use case, sounds like off road use is a priority, I'll leave that to others with informed opinions, 500 extra pounds of battery is 8% of the curb weight of the Pro/Xlt-SR's

My use is city/highway, pulling a dual axle 7x14 V-nose total trailer loaded weight ~4000 pounds
Traveling ~15 to 20 trips a year rounds trip 210 miles home to Epping NH (New England Dragway)
And possibly a 3/4 regional trips less than 2000 miles round trip to points east of the Mississippi.
To me the the extra 33KWH will help with timing mid trip charging, but for some this might be overkill, there are opinions of shorter low load use cases where 98KWH is perfectly fine.
Sponsored