• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I want to be able to drive from NJ to central FL. We usually do it as 16 hrs straight. With my ER battery and highway driving, wondering how much time charging will add to the trip. Any advice on the best route planning website/app?
In a Teslamy Trip to ATL went from 13 hours to 20 hours…
Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Honestly, 230 would be fine for our house. We currently are driving a Kia Niro EV (because the Soul EV is in the shop) and it gets 230. Compared to the short range the Soul has, it feels like a dream.

However, we do road trips about 4x per year that exceed this range, occasionally tow a trailer for about 150 miles one way, and really want the whole home backup.

So the ER battery just makes sense for us. True, most of the time 230 miles is way more than enough, but closing out those edge cases is what we really need.

If it were possible to charge at 800 volts, it would be perfect, but we can live with slower charging.
Yea but for 20k you can buy a road tripper or a designated tower.

I won't be completely EV until the utopia has arrived.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Have the Jeep Diesel for that. But TBH, the Lightning will likely completely replace it.

We mapped out all the trips we have done in the Jeep, and for the ER lightning, we would only need one, maybe two charging stops - and in those times we always stopped the Jeep for lunch breaks.

For extremely long road trips like we do on vacation, we usually fly somewhere and rent a car, then put on thousands of miles touring somewhere.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Dont forget that no to only does the ER have more range, but it DCFC faster than to he SR. 15-80 in the ER is 85kWh which would be 10 to 95 in the SR. Or the other way to look at it is 15 to 80 in the SR is 64kWh, which be would be 49 percent of the ER battery. The SR would work for me on a daily basis, but the ER was less than 10 percent more when comparably equipped and it will be better for long distance travel, for the cold, and when the battery degrades over time with use. The SR is not a bad truck and it should work for most people. We have a 223 mile range EV that replaced a 239 mile range EV and the CV range was never a problem, but the truck may be used differently and the extra capacity it always good to have.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
So let's look at reality. My Mach-E has over 9,000 miles on it, taken 3 long trips. My lifetime miles per kWh was 2.9, now is 3.0. On the highway, going 73, I've seen 3.0 rarely, only in perfect conditions. In reality, I get 2.7 or so.

91kWh battery x 2.7 = 246 mile range, but... starting from home it's 100%, starting from a charger it would be 80%. 91kWh x 0.8 x 2.7 = 197 mile range, but... I would normally go to 10% charge, so 91kWh x 0.7 x 2.7 = 172 miles between charges.

The F-150L is supposed to get 2.3. Let's say that compares to the 3.0 on the Mach-E, so 23% less. Do the math times the battery size you're considering.
Great information here for me. New member here. I may be ordering this week. Dealer says Ford has tried to contact me to order. So I'm doing a little more real world thinking.

I drive from Corpus Christi to College Station, Houston and Austin frequently. These trips are 210-250 miles. They involve speed limits of 75 with little traffic, so pushing a lot of air. In my 2016 Expedition, my in-town mileage is actually the same or better than highway (especially into a headwind), so I might not even get the 2.3 miles per kWh.

Using your calculations, on the big battery, 131 x .7 x 2.3 = 211. Not enough. If I charged to 100%, I would be down to 10% at 271 miles. If I drive like I normally do (75-80 on the highways, 65-70 and passing slower traffic on the 2-lanes) I probably would not make it to College Station. The only charger between CC and CS is a Tesla Supercharger (DC). I don't think it's available for other vehicles (yet).

I like to get where I'm going, and usually only stop for gas and to use the facilities. Less than 10'.

So, yeah, YMMV. Unless I really need the truck to haul stuff, I will probably be taking the wife's Highlander on the road, and use the truck in town.

Thanks for the informative real-world post.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I want to be able to drive from NJ to central FL. We usually do it as 16 hrs straight. With my ER battery and highway driving, wondering how much time charging will add to the trip. Any advice on the best route planning website/app?
If I were you I wouldn’t use an EV for 1000 mile trip if you drive straight through to minimize time. The extra time to recharge will irritate the heck out of you.
On a side note, a guy who joined a friend and I on golf course commented when buddy and I were talking about Lightning. This guy is 76 yo and says he would never get an EV because he drives straight through to Florida every winter. This same character couldn’t play 4 holes without going into the woods to pee.
We take 4 days/3 nights to drive either our Lariat or Explorer. I’m too old to torture myself and my wife with marathon drives anymore.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Great information here for me. New member here. I may be ordering this week. Dealer says Ford has tried to contact me to order. So I'm doing a little more real world thinking.

I drive from Corpus Christi to College Station, Houston and Austin frequently. These trips are 210-250 miles. They involve speed limits of 75 with little traffic, so pushing a lot of air. In my 2016 Expedition, my in-town mileage is actually the same or better than highway (especially into a headwind), so I might not even get the 2.3 miles per kWh.

Using your calculations, on the big battery, 131 x .7 x 2.3 = 211. Not enough. If I charged to 100%, I would be down to 10% at 271 miles. If I drive like I normally do (75-80 on the highways, 65-70 and passing slower traffic on the 2-lanes) I probably would not make it to College Station. The only charger between CC and CS is a Tesla Supercharger (DC). I don't think it's available for other vehicles (yet).

I like to get where I'm going, and usually only stop for gas and to use the facilities. Less than 10'.

So, yeah, YMMV. Unless I really need the truck to haul stuff, I will probably be taking the wife's Highlander on the road, and use the truck in town.

Thanks for the informative real-world post.
This appears to be pending - https://www.plugshare.com/location/366650

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Thank you RickLightning. Maybe by the time I take delivery in the Fall there will be more options!

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
CC to SA currently is/might be an issue. 37 runs 80mph and unless three rivers tesla opens there might be little margin for error. You can always take 181 and enjoy the drive.

CC to Houston will require you to consider the Kia in Victoria. Austin to any direction will be OK.

I have been seeing the EA sites for months. EA site doesn't show them as future so I assume Plugshare is just going off TX VW money grant locations. I feel that EA sites currently are best choices but EvGo was the only game in town a few years ago. Just lower power usually.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

When I go on a road trip, I always rent a car. The cost of depreciation putting 2,000 miles on my car in a week or two is the same as I'll be spending on a rental car anyway, I might as well greatly lessen the value of the rental car company's vehicle and not my own. 230 miles will be perfect for local driving and even if I rent a luxury vehicle for a few weeks a year, I'll never come close to spending the $20k I saved going SR vs. ER over the life of my Lightning ownership.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
When I go on a road trip, I always rent a car. The cost of depreciation putting 2,000 miles on my car in a week or two is the same as I'll be spending on a rental car anyway, I might as well greatly lessen the value of the rental car company's vehicle and not my own. 230 miles will be perfect for local driving and even if I rent a luxury vehicle for a few weeks a year, I'll never come close to spending the $20k I saved going SR vs. ER over the life of my Lightning ownership.
Good point about rental.
But have you seen how high rentals have become post-pandemic ??
Even Costco rental service is way higher than I want for a daily or weekly rate on a subcompact.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Seriously, how much does my car depreciate by driving 1500 miles once per year to visit family a few states away? The car goes about 5.5k miles per year without the trip and 7k miles with the trip. My car at 6 years old would go from a super low mileage car to a not quite so super low mileage, but nowhere near an average mileage car. I laugh at 60k miles tires...Their rubber will be shot well before wear takes them out of service (particularly when winter tires are installed from December through April). Also in the winter my personal car is better setup for severe weather than a rental.

Honestly, the scary part of traveling in a personal car is having an accident that doesn't total the car, but disables it or having some other mechanical breakdown that requires significant time to fix when 700 miles from home. He had one of those in a two year old xc90 (ac condenser drain backed up and drained onto one of the computer connections requiring replacement parts). Covered by warranty and was completed before we had to leave Ohio on the way home to Vermont, but would have been really bad to drive a rental home and have your personal car 1000 miles away getting fixed necessitating another trip just to return it to its home.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The range is sooooo person dependent.

How you drive and where you drove going to be the biggest factors.

But you're right imo. 230 miles is plenty of range for most people.
Still, you need to change the habit of driving and arrange extra time for charging.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This app is great. Looks like charging adds 6 stops and over 4 hrs to my trip!

1000 mile trip is tough in an EV!
You can make some tweaks to the trip. At meal times, you can go and tell it at that stop you will charge for a specific time, or to a specific percentage. Also if you stop overnight, then you can set that stop to be charging to 100%. That long of a trip should have an overnight stay so between meals, restroom and overnight, you are going to have 4 hours of stopping that you would have in any vehicle.
Sponsored