• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wildlife Close Calls

MVS87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning SR - Antimatter Blue
Perhaps the dumbest thing I'll post on here 🤣 but is anyone else seemingly having closer calls with wildlife (mainly deer - I'm in semi-rural PA) with this truck? Is it just me? Feels like they can't hear or feel the truck coming.

In all seriousness, I wonder if insurance for electric vehicles will be more expensive in rural areas if EV drivers start taking out a bunch of deer!
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
On the way to get dropped off 2 nights ago to pick my lightning up there was beautiful 12 pointer just posing in the middle of the road near our house. We had to stop let him pose for a while, flash our lights a bit, before he ran off. Safe to say it had me REAL NERVOUS when bringing my baby home for the first time in the pitch black of rural Wisconsin. I cant imagine the grief I would get if I wrecked this thing now!

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
On the way to get dropped off 2 nights ago to pick my lightning up there was beautiful 12 pointer just posing in the middle of the road near our house. We had to stop let him pose for a while, flash our lights a bit, before he ran off. Safe to say it had me REAL NERVOUS when bringing my baby home for the first time in the pitch black of rural Wisconsin. I cant imagine the grief I would get if I wrecked this thing now!
I can. I hit a deer with my brand new Fusion Hybrid the first and last day driving it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
is anyone else seemingly having closer calls with wildlife (mainly deer - I'm in semi-rural PA) with this truck?
Humans, too. You have to watch out to avoid close encounters of the most awful kind. They'll step out right in front of this thing. I wish there was an ability for the driver to control the pedestrian warning or a bell sound like trains, something short of using the horn.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
We don't make the same sounds as ice vehicles, but we are far from silent. At low speed there is a high pitch whine from most hybrid/EV cars. At moderate to high speed tire noise takes over. No engine noise, but at near idle, many of them are super quite. Heck, our fans are as loud as an idling ice car when in need of significant cooling. Sometimes Bambi just wants to be in the middle of the road and does not care if your car is ice or EV.

Sponsored

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
On my way to work yesterday, there was an accident where a Harley hit a big ole buck....ouch. Harley's are pretty loud and it certainly did not affect the outcome. Poor guy...and poor deer. First time that I had seen such an accident.

Tyler Durden

First Name
Cornelius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, F150 Lightning Lariat ER
deer whistles: yea or nay? opinions, recommendations?

A couple years ago I road-tripped my MS to Austin from SD. I lived in Austin & hill country for a while, so I knew what to expect....I was white-knuckling that final leg eastbound on 290 after 10pm.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Gonna invest in a push bar and collect a bunch of good backstrap.

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
deer whistles: yea or nay? opinions, recommendations?

A couple years ago I road-tripped my MS to Austin from SD. I lived in Austin & hill country for a while, so I knew what to expect....I was white-knuckling that final leg eastbound on 290 after 10pm.
Those deer can hear a twig snap in the woods at 30 yards and be off in a flash, they most definitely hear the tire noise. Deer whistles are a scam, they can't hear ultrasonic noise and neither can we. Unfortunately not all of them choose to move from the middle of the road for some reason.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
This time of year (breeding season) is when most deer/vehicle collisions happen. Deer are amped up on sex and not paying nearly as much attention to their surroundings. Car noises are much less likely to spook them off. Particularly at night where the headlights can mesmerize the deer.
EV’s are probably slightly more likely to have a deer encounter IMO but I don’t think it would be a significant difference.

Sponsored

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
This time of year (breeding season) is when most deer/vehicle collisions happen. Deer are amped up on sex and not paying nearly as much attention to their surroundings.
Funny you said that, just an hour ago there was a buck trotting across the street looking like Pepe Le Pew chasing a doe lol.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I live in Pa as well. The rut (deer mating season) is getting in full swing. Deer are running all over the place as you can see from the increase in road kill on the side of the roads.

As far as I am concerned, deer do not discriminate. They will run in front of any vehicle, EV or ICE.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my neighborhood deer, a family of 12, mostly seeing a mom and two kids regularly, don't know what to think of this 'machine'... they seem stoic, inquisitive, but mostly unconcerned... move on please.
Sponsored