• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Static noise during phone call

AJ Tuli

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hi, Did anyone else had an issue while receiving phone calls on lightning on Android phones? I have an android phone, at random times when i receive phone call all i hear is static noise. I usually transfer the call to phone and then transfer back to truck then it works no problem. Anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've had issue where the other party can't hear me, similar solution to remedy the issue, there are a few threads, on this problem, no idea if or when it will be fixed. [Galaxy S10e]

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
yes, happens to me once or twice a week. I usually hang up and call back, I'll try the transfer next time.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I get static with an iPhone if it is connected with a cord to the USB port in the truck. If it is not connected via USB cord then it usually works fine. So this is not only an android issue.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
yes, happens to me once or twice a week. I usually hang up and call back, I'll try the transfer next time.
Hey, Brandon! I can take a closer look into your static phone audio concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location? To send a DM, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I get static with an iPhone if it is connected with a cord to the USB port in the truck. If it is not connected via USB cord then it usually works fine. So this is not only an android issue.
Good morning! I would be glad to help you out with these static phone audio concerns. Just shoot us a direct message with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a DM, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
There must be some type of radio or EM signal that interferes with cellular.

Based on how EVs are moving away from AM radio because EVs emits so much radio frequency interference.

I have had many calls unintelligible with my iPhones (Verizon and T Mobile) while inside.

Installing a cellular booster this weekend (WeBoost) to test out if it will eliminate the RFI/EMI.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey, Brandon! I can take a closer look into your static phone audio concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location? To send a DM, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".
This isn't a problem specific to the lightning or Ford, I've had this sort thing happen in nearly every BT car equipment I've ever used. Although I will note that it seems to happen more frequently in the lightning. There's nothing the dealer can do about it, we'll need to wait for Ford, Google, Apple, etc...to update software and try to improve reliability. It's a minor inconvenience that is easily solved.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
This isn't a problem specific to the lightning or Ford, I've had this sort thing happen in nearly every BT car equipment I've ever used. Although I will note that it seems to happen more frequently in the lightning. There's nothing the dealer can do about it, we'll need to wait for Ford, Google, Apple, etc...to update software and try to improve reliability. It's a minor inconvenience that is easily solved.
Never had the problem with our 2015 Prius and an iPhone...or in my 2012 Nissan Leaf.
They both have Blue Tooth connections between phone and audio system, and no trouble when the phone is charging on the USB.

Static is frequently an issue with EM interference, and if you are experiencing it in your vehicle then there is a filtering or shielding problem somewhere in the car from a source of EM (radio waves).

Sometimes it is the USB port itself that is of poor quality, and since this seems to be happening when plugged in the the Lightning USB port, that is probably the culprit - just a guess as an electrical engineer, and from reading about USB charger issues.

These are SUPPOSED to be rated for automotive use, but we all know from experience that some sources of parts (China) produce shoddy items not up to spec. And the circutry feeding the USB port could be the culprit.

That is, the issue could be the DC source used to power the USB port.
So, in most cars, there is a 12volt batter that powers all the electronics.

In an EV with 240vac and/or 120vac in the bed, like the lightning, you have one or more inverters, which are switching devices, and can produce RF interference.

Also, to charge the 12vdc battery, the Li battery has to be stepped down to around 13vdc, which again uses switching devices that can produce RF interference. DC is stepped down with a voltage regulator, but cheap ones can produce a lot of RF noise because they don't have effective pi filters.

The latter voltage regulator could convey the RF through the 12volt line to another step down circuit to 5vdc which could also cause RF noise, then to the USB outlet, and unless somewhere that RF is filtered out, it will reach the cell phone.

I suspect the voltage regulators used in the USB circuitry are not filtered properly, but this is just an over-educated guess.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@chl I should have specified that the "noise" I've encountered makes the audio sound very garbled. It's not a static noise like you'd get on the radio when tuning to a frequency that doesn't have a station. It's more like the signal quality isn't fully synced with everything and calling back (or apparently transferring the call) resets the sync.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I have experienced few dropped calls with my Lightning, but lately things have gotten much better. What I have noticed lately and especially today, is a static noise coming from the door speakers, even though the radio/entertainment system is off, Climate system off. Very low, subtle white static noise. Anyone else with this issue??

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have experienced few dropped calls with my Lightning, but lately things have gotten much better. What I have noticed lately and especially today, is a static noise coming from the door speakers, even though the radio/entertainment system is off, Climate system off. Very low, subtle white static noise. Anyone else with this issue??
Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this speaker noise concern for you? Thank you!

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR

This never happened to me using my BT in previous F150's or any other vehicle for that matter. Given that you can put the call on speaker and back to BT, I suspect it has something to do with Sync.
Sponsored