• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I always feel guilty backing out of the driveway in the middle of the night. You don't realize how loud it actually is until you hear it on a quiet night.

Instead of suppressing it, what i'd love to do is change the sound of it, or have the option of multiple sounds. Something like "Stand back or you'll be struck by lightning" on loop while in reverse. Or something more mellow/less annoying.

I really want to know where the sound is programmed and how to reprogram it. Is it within a chip in the module itself or part of the software?
Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
My wife was hit by a van at low speed when she was crossing the street and years later, she is still suffering from it every day. May be we should think about what will happen to someone else if I mute this.
Abso-f*****g-lutely. I hope your wife is coping. Mine had a similar experience a decade ago. Very luckily it’s (very slowly) improving, but perspective, outlook, and values have substantially altered because of the chronic and likely permanently life-altering conditions.

We’re driving three ton trucks that hit 60mph in 4 seconds. They might just change someone’s life. Be careful.

After reading through the comments on here I decided to take the file down. I can control my driving in low speed situations the noise seems a bit excessive IMO but just don't feel right about it after some very valid points for the sound being required.
Thank you! These things are huge but the number of people that have even struggled to notice the truck at low speeds with the sound on has consistently been a cause for concern for me. I can’t imagine either liking the noise or turning it off - or being able to.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Possibly getting carried away here. I'm all for the frunk silence...but this is getting sketchy.
While I back out or cruise slowly in a parking lot, I WANT people to notice me, for many reasons...#1 being their safety.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Possibly getting carried away here. I'm all for the frunk silence...but this is getting sketchy.
While I back out or cruise slowly in a parking lot, I WANT people to notice me, for many reasons...#1 being their safety.
This. ^^^^^^^

The only time the backup beep bothers me is at 6:00AM when I know my neighbors are going to hear it. But none of them have complained. I've got compliments on the new truck and learned that my neighbor across the street has both a Rivian and Lightning reservation and is undecided, like I was somewhat. He will buy the first one he can order. Then semi-jokes he's going R1T just because of my Lightning. ...Everywhere else that my truck beeps as I'm in reverse, I don't care. I'm a truck, I'm backing up, I beep. The 6:00AM thing shouldn't bother me. Another neighbor is an electrician and routinely parks his company van where he has to back out of his driveway. It beeps. No one cares.

I'm always amazed at how people will walk behind me (or any other truck/ vehicle) that is backing up without even considering if the driver will see them or not. Grocery store parking lots are the worst. Doesn't matter how many lights are on the truck, how loud it is or whatever. People just walk.

Fast4U

First Name
William smallwood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat 511a
Occupation
Sales
In regards to all the ones saying its dangerous and scary have never been around a Mercedes S Class, or Lexus ES. Those cars are dead silent when reversing, the engines dont make even a whisper

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm not sure if my hearing is better than others, but our trucks aren't nearly that quiet. Mine makes a noticeable motor whine, especially under 20mph. I have had zero issues to date of someone not noticing me. I frequently work nights and get home around 2 or 3am and wanted nothing to do with the speaker. I also live in a more rural area. I'd be curious how the Lightning stacks up to many other vehicles with a sound test in a parking lot. I know I can definitely hear the high pitch whine from mine and it is especially loud by 15mph.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I just want to say, as I approach my 1 year anniversary of owning this truck, I'm convinced the pedestrian warning is worthless. I have not modified mine. I have had more people walk behind my truck as I'm backing up than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I mean they did constantly in my other trucks, even my diesel pickups, but it's bad with the Lightning. Just today it was a young lady pushing a stroller with a toddler. I saw her and stopped, but WTF? Are people just that much more distracted these days or do they not associate this electronic chime and noise with a pickup truck? I don't know...

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I searched this thread earlier and was going to post a pic of how I modified the reverse and pedestrian speaker, but after reading thru the thread, I decided not to post it. It's funny how this old thread got bumped and I was going to bump it just a couple hours ago.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Since we are talking safety...

It is best practice to back into a parking spot. You can visually clear the spot as you pass it and the cameras actually make it easier to back in than to pull straight in without cameras. When you pull out the hazardous blind spot is only the space directly in front of the hood. Pedestrians walking by are more likely to see the you because they are looking through the untinted windshield and you are more likely to see them for obvious reasons. You can maximize safety by checking the front blind spot with the front camera.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It is best practice to back into a parking spot.
I have a hard time pegging the turning radius on this thing, so I back in most of the time simply because it is easier than trying to pull in forward. The safety part is a nice bonus.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have heard the reverse bong in my truck, but haven't heard the low-speed sound. My wife's EV6 has a loud spaceship sound, so I'm curious about what the truck is supposed to sound like.
Mine has a very low hum that goes up and down in pitch, I cant not hear it with the windows rolled up or down and nothing playing in the cabin.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Well since the thread got resurrected, I was originally excited that someone modified the low speed sound to a suppressed weapon, that would probably get more attention. People need to be more alert and aware. The sound really doesn’t seem to get people’s attention.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Well since the thread got resurrected, I was originally excited that someone modified the low speed sound to a suppressed weapon, that would probably get more attention. People need to be more alert and aware. The sound really doesn’t seem to get people’s attention.
I still have it installed with zero issues/pedestrian hit counts. It was basically enough to not hear anything from inside the cabin of the truck but still audible from outside.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I still have it installed with zero issues/pedestrian hit counts. It was basically enough to not hear anything from inside the cabin of the truck but still audible from outside.
Same, still have mine after nearly a year. I have almost never had an issue with people not noticing me. The truck is plenty loud, especially in the summer, running the AC had a pretty crazy induction roar at high settings. Reminded me of driving in 1st lol. I just use my cameras, take it slow, and assume people aren't paying attention. Most times if folks walk behind me as I'm pulling out it's because they're on their phones. I can't complain too much because I'm also messing with my phone to pop the frunk when I walk out with groceries.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT