• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound?

RRINN

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
I love my new 2023 Platinum and I really like Android Auto. However, I absolutely HATE the very loud BLING sound that occurs whenever I receive an email or text message on my phone. Not only is the sound loud and annoying, the system mutes whatever music I'm playing for about 6-7 seconds. How do I prevent this alert sound from happening? My phone itself has all alerts turned off except for vibrate. There doesn't seem to be a setting anywhere in Android Auto or the head unit to control the volume or availability of the alert sounds. Has anyone else figured this out?
Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I'm responding not because I know the answer, but because I would also like to know the answer.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
On your phone, open settings, search for Android auto and open, scroll down to notifications, turn off Play conversation chime?

Ford F-150 Lightning How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound? Screenshot_20230301-210306

OP
OP

RRINN

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's one of the first things I did. Didn't help. Still BLINGs.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I think there is another setting on the sync screen, I need to turn that off as well, it's irritating as hell.
BTW I also switched it off in android auto to no avail.

I'll hunt for the setting and test later this morning.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We need to to get into the basic bluetooth based phone controls instead of the android auto or car play controls.

From the truck settings menu select Phones to get to this display, normally my Android Auto function is active [BLUE], so I selected the handset icon, which gave me the following settings and access to sub menus where the control switches are located.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound? 1677767328112

Get into the Messaging and Email drop list.
See the Text Messaging & Email options, additional controls
Ford F-150 Lightning How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound? 1677767446414

Text Messaging controls allow you to turn sound off or change the type of melody, switching it off hides those additional adjustments.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound? 1677767624742

Email controls allow you to turn sound off or change the type of melody, switching it off hides those additional adjustments.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to mute the loud BLING!!! alert sound? 1677767717941

I tested these changes with an email, no more sounds!!

I can still see the popup prompts for each type of communication, they can be turned off too!!

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
It is also a "device" volume. When it BLINGS if you can turn the volume knob down, it should get that to a reasonable level - and it will state on the screen it is adjusting that specific volume level.
I had the same challenge with my phone ringer volume through the system.
This also works with Gmaps and I'm sure many other things.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It is also a "device" volume. When it BLINGS if you can turn the volume knob down, it should get that to a reasonable level - and it will state on the screen it is adjusting that specific volume level.
Have you noticed if this is a composite or independent control, ie, when I have increased or lowered the sound level for google maps or ford navigation with the knob, it seems to track to the same level for text and email notifications, so if I were to lower it to mute or lowest audible settings then I can't or barely can hear route guidance. Being able to switch the email/text off completely has it's positive and negative impact. Personally I prefer not being distracted while I am driving, once I am at my destination, then I can check the phone for communications needing a response.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Have you noticed if this is a composite or independent control, ie, when I have increased or lowered the sound level for google maps or ford navigation with the knob, it seems to track to the same level for text and email notifications, so if I were to lower it to mute or lowest audible settings then I can't or barely can hear route guidance. Being able to switch the email/text off completely has it's positive and negative impact. Personally I prefer not being distracted while I am driving, once I am at my destination, then I can check the phone for communications needing a response.
All I've fiddled with is gmaps sound and the phone volume.
At first, both were much louder than the radio.
Gmaps can be tricky as you have to wait for "it" to talk (of course, there may be another way), though when a good song comes on, the direction seem to get much longer.
I think when I adjusted the phone volume it covered ring and actual call.
My text messages don't make a sound as I have my phone go into "drive" mode upon connecting to BT, so that is automatically muted.

OP
OP

RRINN

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That was it!

We need to to get into the basic bluetooth based phone controls instead of the android auto or car play controls.

From the truck settings menu select Phones to get to this display, normally my Android Auto function is active [BLUE], so I selected the handset icon, which gave me the following settings and access to sub menus where the control switches are located.
1677767328112.png

Get into the Messaging and Email drop list.
See the Text Messaging & Email options, additional controls
1677767446414.png

Text Messaging controls allow you to turn sound off or change the type of melody, switching it off hides those additional adjustments.
1677767624742.png

Email controls allow you to turn sound off or change the type of melody, switching it off hides those additional adjustments.

1677767717941.png

I tested these changes with an email, no more sounds!!

I can still see the popup prompts for each type of communication, they can be turned off too!!
That did it! I hadn't thought of looking into the Bluetooth phone settings, there, as I was using Android Auto and the phone setting was disabled. But it does make sense, now. Thanks for your insights into fixing this problem!

Sponsored
OP
OP

RRINN

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That didn't work for me. Adjusting the volume while the BLING was active had no effect.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
With the phone connected to your truck you can also go into your Bluetooth settings on the phone and just click the slider for text permissions. They'll still work as normal through Carplay/AA and you won't get the obnoxious truck based chime.
Sponsored