• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

✅ 12/05 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023)

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
A triple whammy.
I have a feeling we may get a quadruple whammy. If Ford is planning to get the battery content right to make the truck qualify for new tax credit, it will take time to get the supply chain in gear. from timing of everything it looks like Ford had a lot to do with shaping the new requirements and may be a bit ahead of this but I still think there will be some 23 trucks with content that does not meat and some that does. Guess which one we will be in. Every thread needs at least one pessimist. I need to establish my role early.

On another topic, I am an EV virgin coming from ICE with absolutely nothing ready. Super old 100 Amp maxed out panel in the house with only 110 outlets outside. I have not ordered any mobile charger and looking for a good adjustable max amp with 110 and 240 plugs……. in other words more unprepared than anyone in history of BEVs. I have started reading other threads but please share any good tips on what you are doing to juice up yours at home and on the run.
Sponsored

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
On another topic, I am an EV virgin coming from ICE with absolutely nothing ready. Super old 100 Amp maxed out panel in the house with only 110 outlets outside. I have not ordered any mobile charger and looking for a good adjustable max amp with 110 and 240 plugs……. in other words more unprepared than anyone in history of BEVs. I have started reading other threads but please share any good tips on what you are doing to juice up yours at home and on the run.
If you are planning to have your home charger outside, you might want to look into something like this:

https://connectder.com/

It could save you a lot of labor costs from upgrading your panel. I think I saw one other solution that might save you money, but I am currently blanking on who made it. I'll try to find it.

I use the Juicebox EVSE for my plug-in hybrid, and I will be using that for the Ford, too. The company's online support info leaves something to be desired (although that is true for just about every EVSE company), but their EVSEs are reasonably efficient (https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-evse/results).

Others worth considering, in my view:

The Chargepoint Home Flex is very positively reviewed. But pricey.

The Blink HQ200 just came out. Right now, there is a discount code that would get you 10% off that charger and $50 of free charging at their public chargers. But it is still not cheap, either.

The Autel EVSEs are up and down in price on Amazon, but if you are patient you can get an Autel EVSE that will go up to 50 amps for $460. For example, right now, you could get this one (https://a.co/d/5LDgvWQ). My recollection is that these are less efficient than at least some of the above, but they are still Energy Star certified (at least some models, maybe all).

I have seen the variable 220/110 EVSEs, but I have no experience with them.

If you are installing a Level 2 EVSE outside outside, you may want to hardwire. (There is a whole thing about whether a plug-in connection would require a GFCI breaker, resulting in double-GFCI protection because of the GFCI protection built into the EVSE, which could result in nuisance tripping. Since I am not an electrician, I will leave others to deal with how to interpret the NEC requirements on this point.)

Some Level 2 EVSEs allow you to switch back and forth between hardwire and plug (e.g., Chargepoint Home Flex). The Juicebox models do not. You have to pick with Juicebox, and opening the case to try and change it would void your warranty.

Last edited:

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I should add, that there are lots of cheaper EVSEs out there now. So there may be more economical options than the ones I highlighted.

Looks like the Blink HQ150, a 32 amp EVSE, is $379 right now. There is also the Grizzl-E 40 amp for $429.

The Juicebox used to be cheaper when you could get it at Costco.

Last edited:

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I have a feeling we may get a quadruple whammy. If Ford is planning to get the battery content right to make the truck qualify for new tax credit, it will take time to get the supply chain in gear. from timing of everything it looks like Ford had a lot to do with shaping the new requirements and may be a bit ahead of this but I still think there will be some 23 trucks with content that does not meat and some that does. Guess which one we will be in. Every thread needs at least one pessimist. I need to establish my role early.

My thoughts on this is if we get delivered after the New Year, we'd have to wait the whole year to file for the tax returns anyway. Hopefully by then Ford will get the components for the batteries to meet all requirements by the end of 2023 and all MY23 Lightnings would qualify under 80k. This is very wishful thinking, but a guy can dream.

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
This was the other solution I had come across for a full panel.

https://shop.dcc-usa.technology/

I can't remember how I found this one. It may be that one of the EVSE installers around here advertised it.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

AAnative

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Hi all. Have an Avalanche Pro scheduled 12/5 build.

Reading through the forum I’m confused as to all the hoping for the 7500 tax credit if delivery is this year.

I ordered 8/11 before the new bill was signed. I have the standard $500 deposit with the dealer plus the $100 for reservation. I don’t feel that this satisfies the “binding contract” language in the bill.

Am I missing something? I’m only 2 hours from the plant so I’m hoping for 2022 delivery.

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
We are all hoping for delivery this year so we CAN get the credit. New limits come into effect on January 1.

AAnative

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Driver8-did you all put down a 5% non refundable deposit then before august 16 as the tax code states is the requirement?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Driver8-did you all put down a 5% non refundable deposit then before august 16 as the tax code states is the requirement?
Do not confuse procedures targeted for NON NORTH AMERICAN PRODUCTION for your Ford F150 Lightning, these procedures related foreign built EV's.

Your only concern is that the truck is delivered to you by the close of business 12/31/2022, otherwise your acquisition on Sunday 1/1 or later will be enjoying the new version of the credit.

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
If you had a written binding contract before the IRA went into effect, you would be grandfathered into the old credit, even for vehicles built outside NA. But even without a written binding contract pre-dating the IRA, the old credit rules still apply for the F-150 Lightning for the rest of 2022. That is why we are all hoping against hope to be able to purchase in 2022.

But, logistics being what they are, a 12/31 delivery is going to be virtually impossible for builds the week of 12/5.

UNLESS Ford let's us pick up at the factory! Please Ford, please!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UNLESS Ford let's us pick up at the factory! Please Ford, please!
If we want something, we can’t wait for sympathy. Here are the steps to beat the clock:

0 - Check out a “how to rob a train for dummies” from public library.
1 - Find out from other threads what is the typical rout for your state.
2 - If we don’t know how to start a Lightning we just stole, or how to charge it, rent a suitable tow truck.
3 - Drop it off at the dealer’s lot before opening and show up unannounced the next day complaining why we were not notified our truck has arrived.

Frankly with the near $2K delivery charge, we may be able to do better delivery ourselves.

Last edited:

AAnative

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Thanks for the clarification. Crossing my fingers then. It’s gonna be close!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any reason to install Ford pass app now? I think (not sure) I read somewhere you can track your truck after it’s brain come to life. Is that true?
Sponsored