• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Nice short video and no/little fluff. Most interesting part was when he compared pricing. Tesla bumped the price for him 30% over his mother's Tesla. Though it was still cheaper than the EA down the road. All prices he mentioned seemed to be non-subscriber prices.
Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
The membership is totally worth it, but Tesla is going to do well by all of the Fords using Plug-n-charge.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
So, have not watched the video, what are the price differences? Thanks

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
He did a good job pointing out several things that Tom and Kyle didn't cover

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
Seems to be pretty wild the markup that gets charged in some places.
In Nanaimo, BC for example. We pay 0.14$ per kwh as a consumer. I'm sure they pay less for industrial use.

The Tesla charger their is advertising to ford customers 0.59$ and 0.44$ as a member. Meanwhile the EA (Electrify Canada actually) is charging 0.77$ non-member pricing down the road.

I get it that they have to pay for the charging infrastructure. But charging what must be 5-10x the industrial rates they probably pay seems excessive.

Last edited:

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
You gotta pay to play. At least they work.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
A big bump like that in peak hour cost seems logical as a solution to higher peak demand than their system can easily handle, not profits. Dropping big demands, like shifting industry loads to off hours , will help them gain time to improve their local grid & power generation system.

It looks like a reward and punishment setup, as those low rates must have very little added markup over cost.

Sponsored

chex38

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Occupation
I/T
Uh, no, EV fast-charging expenses to utilities like BC-Hydro are not that simple.
They pay more than we would pay for a basic residential rate.

A Supercharger site has massive peak of demand on the grid, a 8-stall V3 SuC is fitted with a 1500 kW/(KVA) transformer to the grid, if all 8 chargers are running, that is a big demand. The customer pays a lot more than the basic 14c/kWh BC-Hydro residential rate in the end for service like that based on the peak demand charges from the site for the month.

See: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2019/demand-charges-explained.html

Seems to be pretty wild the markup that gets charged in some places.
In Nanaimo, BC for example. We pay 0.14$ per kwh as a consumer. I'm sure they pay less for industrial use.

The Tesla charger their is advertising to ford customers 0.59$ and 0.44$ as a member. Meanwhile the EA (Electrify Canada actually) is charging 0.77$ non-member pricing down the road.

I get it that they have to pay for the charging infrastructure. But charging what must be 5-10x the industrial rates they probably pay seems excessive.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Thanks. Oh wow, will keep using only the home charger after 7pm.

IMG_5231.jpeg
There's essentially never a time a person should use DCFC if they have the option to get that charge at home.

The exception would be if they somehow get free charging. Otherwise it will almost always be cheaper, and always will be better for the battery to charge at home.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
There's essentially never a time a person should use DCFC if they have the option to get that charge at home.

The exception would be if they somehow get free charging. Otherwise it will almost always be cheaper, and always will be better for the battery to charge at home.
Agree 100%, never really paid attention of the price when had my Tesla just pulled up and charged and moved down the road. But $.34-$.37 was about the going rate per kWh. At $.45 per kWh for Ford that’s not bad paying $23 to get back on the road. Better than $3 a gallon for gas costing $60 per fill up. I know, I know, “apples and oranges” Lol

Ford F-150 Lightning Prices compared for charging at Supercharger (between Tesla and non-Teslas) - by JerryRigEverything IMG_5235

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
At $.45 per kWh for Ford that’s not bad paying $23 to get back on the road. Better than $3 a gallon for gas costing $60 per fill up.
Depending on what you are driving. Superchargers are in $0.50+ range around me but even at $0.45 a road trip with Lightning will cost me $0.225 per mile. At $3/gal it will cost me $0.10 per mile with my wife's outback.

Home charging driving in the city it is complete opposite. Cost me $0.045/mile with Lightning and $0.15/mile with Subaru.
Sponsored