• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Keep searching on Tesla app.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
My understanding is that any current Tesla adapter that you can buy (at least in the US) is for non-supercharging. So if you or a friend has a home Tesla charger you can you use it with the adapter. They can also be used at Tesla "destination" chargers, which are frequently at restaurants and hotels etc. But supercharging is a whole different ball game.
All correct. There are many Tesla destination chargers at restaurants and hotels, B&Bs that are free, so you charge your Lightning for "free". I have two Tesla high power wall chargers, have a TeslaTap mini adapter and use them to charge my Lightning, but also added the Ford SunRun home integration system at one home in order to use the bidirectional generator. Overkill, but toys...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Alex’s take on NACS:

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The open SC network isn’t live yet in the Us, but the ball is definitely rolling now. Elon has mentioned this and with the incentives from the inflation reduction act, I expect to see more growth in infrastructure.
It’s been announced that only the V3 Superchargers will be made accessible to non-Teslas, and not the greater-in-number V2s. While charging speeds are much better on the V3s, there are a few critical-path V2 locations in the rural midWest, for example, that won’t help fill the DCFC gaps for Lightning owners. Who knows when/if these relatively low-traffic Superchargers might be upgraded to be useable by non-Teslas? The priority seems to be for adding new Supercharging locations, rather than upgrading the thousands of existing ones that will be inaccessible by Lightning drivers. This could be big fail, in 2024; I wouldn’t cancel my EA membership just yet.

Reactions: GDN

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
Not sure if this is new, but I just saw this in the Tesla app.... This being for non-teslas. That's a steep price.
Ford F-150 Lightning BREAKING: @Tesla Supercharger membership packages announced for Non-Tesla EV owners ($0.99/month) 1000002570

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
It’s been announced that only the V3 Superchargers will be made accessible to non-Teslas, and not the greater-in-number V2s.
Do V2s still outnumber V3s?

A quick look at supercharge.info, filtering for USA only:

>=150kW (v2+v3) = 1,755 locations
>=250kW (v3) = 1,226 locations

That would mean V2 locations would be just 529 locations vs 1,226 V3 locations.

Now, maybe some of those V3 locations were originally V2 locations with a few V3s added?

But it SEEMS like V3 outnumber V2, now, by quite a bit.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Premium price for a premium experience. Depending on your needs it may or may not be worth it. Will have to wait and see what pricing at the charger looks like and how many kWh you need.

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
In my area of eastern Canada, there are 9 or 10 superchargers across 3 provinces. Filter out the V2's, there are only 2 V3's and neither of them are anywhere on major highways or remotely close to where I would be travelling regularly. My initial excitement at supercharger access has tanked, it might help for long long trips but a total bust for what I was hoping for........ Maybe those locations get upgraded eventually. Maybe when everybody gets their cybertruck delivered..............

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I do wish Tesla had a little more information on what was going to be upgraded.

Unfortunately with us only getting access to v3, there are many trips/paths that may still have to rely on EA or another brand to fill in a gap or two.

There are expansions and upgrades happening. Ardmore, OK - a critical stop from DFW to OK and north only had 6 150kW chargers. They just completed an upgrade and it is now listed as 18 250kW chargers. I'm thinking that a couple of the old chargers may have been left because the new v3 one power cabinet powers 4 stalls. That would be 16 stalls of 250kW chargers. 18 are listed however. Maybe there were 2 old chargers left for overflow. Not sure. Unfortunately these are not magic dock either, would have been the perfect travel route for them however.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Premium price for a premium experience. Depending on your needs it may or may not be worth it. Will have to wait and see what pricing at the charger looks like and how many kWh you need.
I would have gladly paid the premium price the last time I drove to Chicago. What a hot mess the charging situation is there.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Do V2s still outnumber V3s?

A quick look at supercharge.info, filtering for USA only:

>=150kW (v2+v3) = 1,755 locations
>=250kW (v3) = 1,226 locations

That would mean V2 locations would be just 529 locations vs 1,226 V3 locations.

Now, maybe some of those V3 locations were originally V2 locations with a few V3s added?

But it SEEMS like V3 outnumber V2, now, by quite a bit.
It’s still hard to plan a Tesla road-trip using only V3 supercharger locations. That’s not a big deal if you’re driving a Tesla, you just have a few slower charge stops, at the V2s. In the Lightning, however, being unable to use an essential V2 location will be a frustration in trip planning (if the “must stop at” Supercharger happens to be V2 only).

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
The leaf will make a comeback 🤣
Comeback? They never "leaft" most are still on the road, admittedly, that's only about 200k Leafs in the US.

They still use CHAdeMO for fast DC charging capability (if 0-80% in about 60 minutes is considered "fast"). As of a year or so ago, there were 8,900 CHAdeMO chargers in North America, about 3 times that number in Europe.

But there is no CHAdeMO to CCS or to NACS (TESLA) adapter. They use completely different handshaking protocols, so Leafs will NOT be seen at Tesla chargers, unless they move to CCS or NACS in the next model year (2025?).

Within 2 miles of my house there are 4 CCS and 4 CHAdeMO (EVgo), and EA has 5 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO fast charger.

That said, with a range of 100 miles (if I'm lucky) my 2012 Leaf is a local vehicle only, and only charged L2 at home for pennies (time of day overnight rate used), so there is no point stressing the Leaf battery with fast charging for local driving.

There are also free L2 chargers at all the Walgreens, Walmarts, etc., and some that charge money, but what is the point of that, too slow to make much difference in SOC.

At the time, 2011, the Leaf was about the only affordable EV option (Tesla were pricey).
A lot of promises were made by Nissan for improvements in battery technology and range, however, they fell short, dropped the ball, what ever you want to call it.

But that is the risk early adopters always face.

I didn't think it would take this long for EV's to become mainstream, for major US manufacturers to see the writing on the wall.

The Lightning is the first mass-produced EV pickup, yes the Rivian was first to market, and the Cybertruck maybe the fisrt to be announced (still not delivered), but they only sold a few R1Ts so hard to call them mass produced.

Lightning owners are early adopters of EV pickups, and there have been issues, as the posts on the forums bear witness to. Perhaps some would say the Lightning has not lived up to the hype in some respects, and the pricing see-saw has been aggravating.

I am still looking forward to the entry level price settling down to the low to mid $40k's, and the quality improving along with the battery technology, range, reliability, etc., the bugs getting worked out, before I buy.

The CCS/NACS standard tussle needs to be resolved, and it seems Tesla's shrewd business moves favors the NACS at this point. Fine, as long as I can still charge L2 at home when I don't need to travel far from home which is 98% of the time.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Show me the Superchargers with the J1772 connector. Until then, this is fake news.
Also look to pay a premium price at tesla chargers for J1772 owners.
Yes, I believe tesla expects J1772 owners to pay for this conversion
Sponsored