• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Comeback? They never "leaft" most are still on the road, admittedly, that's only about 200k Leafs in the US.

They still use CHAdeMO for fast DC charging capability (if 0-80% in about 60 minutes is considered "fast"). As of a year or so ago, there were 8,900 CHAdeMO chargers in North America, about 3 times that number in Europe.

But there is no CHAdeMO to CCS or to NACS (TESLA) adapter. They use completely different handshaking protocols, so Leafs will NOT be seen at Tesla chargers, unless they move to CCS or NACS in the next model year (2025?).

Within 2 miles of my house there are 4 CCS and 4 CHAdeMO (EVgo), and EA has 5 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO fast charger.

That said, with a range of 100 miles (if I'm lucky) my 2012 Leaf is a local vehicle only, and only charged L2 at home for pennies (time of day overnight rate used), so there is no point stressing the Leaf battery with fast charging for local driving.

There are also free L2 chargers at all the Walgreens, Walmarts, etc., and some that charge money, but what is the point of that, too slow to make much difference in SOC.

At the time, 2011, the Leaf was about the only affordable EV option (Tesla were pricey).
A lot of promises were made by Nissan for improvements in battery technology and range, however, they fell short, dropped the ball, what ever you want to call it.

But that is the risk early adopters always face.

I didn't think it would take this long for EV's to become mainstream, for major US manufacturers to see the writing on the wall.

The Lightning is the first mass-produced EV pickup, yes the Rivian was first to market, and the Cybertruck maybe the fisrt to be announced (still not delivered), but they only sold a few R1Ts so hard to call them mass produced.

Lightning owners are early adopters of EV pickups, and there have been issues, as the posts on the forums bear witness to. Perhaps some would say the Lightning has not lived up to the hype in some respects, and the pricing see-saw has been aggravating.

I am still looking forward to the entry level price settling down to the low to mid $40k's, and the quality improving along with the battery technology, range, reliability, etc., the bugs getting worked out, before I buy.

The CCS/NACS standard tussle needs to be resolved, and it seems Tesla's shrewd business moves favors the NACS at this point. Fine, as long as I can still charge L2 at home when I don't need to travel far from home which is 98% of the time.
Chris,

I’m replying to you as a 5 time former Leaf owner and a current Tesla and Lightning owner.

My initial Leafs we’re local only cars. When I moved up to a Plus with a 60 kwh battery it made the 125 mile trip from our house to our cabin doable. . Then moving to a Tesla Model Y was a game changer. No more range anxiety. For reliable road tripping the Tesla beats Ford and Nissan hands down.

Last month we added a ER Lightning to the “fleet” only because pf Tesla/Ford announcement. The Lightning has become my preferred vehicle due to similar range to the Tesla, more comfortable and nicer to drive. The only drawback is it takes 40% long to recharge at home for same miles driven as the Tesla. Plus the CSS fast charging network is nowhere as plentiful, reliable or quick to charge as the NSCS charging a Tesla but it’s still light years better than the Nissan.

I’m 77 years old so waiting for the perfect EV is not in my time frame.

Sponsored

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Chris,

I’m replying to you as a 5 time former Leaf owner and a current Tesla and Lightning owner.

My initial Leafs we’re local only cars. When I moved up to a Plus with a 60 kwh battery it made the 125 mile trip from our house to our cabin doable. . Then moving to a Tesla Model Y was a game changer. No more range anxiety. For reliable road tripping the Tesla beats Ford and Nissan hands down.

Last month we added a ER Lightning to the “fleet” only because pf Tesla/Ford announcement. The Lightning has become my preferred vehicle due to similar range to the Tesla, more comfortable and nicer to drive. The only drawback is it takes 40% long to recharge at home for same miles driven as the Tesla. Plus the CSS fast charging network is nowhere as plentiful, reliable or quick to charge as the NSCS charging a Tesla but it’s still light years better than the Nissan.

I’m 77 years old so waiting for the perfect EV is not in my time frame.

I am curious... How do you charge your ER Lightning at home? Are you using the FCSP on a 100A circuit?

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I am curious... How do you charge your ER Lightning at home? Are you using the FCSP on a 100A circuit?
I'm using my hard wired Tesla Wall Connector on a 60 amp circuit on the Ford and the Teslas. It is set up to send 48 amps of 11.4 kw to the vehicles. I use a NACS to J1772 adapter with it when charging the Lightning. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BZ4F3GM5/ I also keep one on the car in case I need to charge at a Tesla Destination Charger when on the road.

At our cabin we primarily use a Tesla mobile connector that's always plugged into a 50 amp RV outlet in our cabin shed. It's provides 30 amps or 6.7 kws to the vehicles. If we need to replenish faster I have an inexpensive ($179) Tera EVSE that I plug into another 50 amp 14-50R RV on the side of the cabin to supply 40 amps/9 kws to the vehicles.

Since I already had the 60 amp hard wired Tesla Wall connector at home that works GREAT I sold my Ford supplied FCSP on Amazon.

Reactions: GDN

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
The FCSP on a 100A circuit would supply a hair under 20 kWh to the Lightning, and thus feed the larger battery in the Ford to make up for the longer charge time required to get the same range as your tesla is getting. The '23 Ford ER models have dual onboard chargers to supply the big battery at higher AC charge rate than your Tesla is getting.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
The FCSP on a 100A circuit would supply a hair under 20 kWh to the Lightning, and thus feed the larger battery in the Ford to make up for the longer charge time required to get the same range as your tesla is getting. The '23 Ford ER models have dual onboard chargers to supply the big battery at higher AC charge rate than your Tesla is getting.
All True BUT:

I'm out of breaker space on my panel. I would need to remove the Tesla Wall Connector to make room for the FCSP. Then pay for 45 feet of 4 AWG Copper cable to support 100 amp and pay about $700 in electrician labor to do the swap.

Plus the FCSP uses a bulky CSS plug that is not compatible with my 2 Teslas.

in the next 2 years every EV will use NACS.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Yellow Buddy

Threads