• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

20 amps @ 120v

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Working in building safety, Ford likely made the right call, particularly if you are visiting a place you are not familiar with.
Agree to disagree I guess. There are other EVs on the market that let the vehicle limit the charging (the mini is one example). It severely gimps the truck. I'm sitting here at a campsite with a TT30 and forced to use 11/12a, not even going to the 80% 24 amps, if I could increase to 16a or 20a it would make a huge difference for me.
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Agree to disagree I guess. There are other EVs on the market that let the vehicle limit the charging (the mini is one example). It severely gimps the truck. I'm sitting here at a campsite with a TT30 and forced to use 11/12a, not even going to the 80% 24 amps, if I could increase to 16a or 20a it would make a huge difference for me.
Or you could buy a 240v travel charger and camp at a park that offers NEMA 14-50 plugs🤷‍♂️

There are ton of possibilities that make your EV even more productive.

The TT30 plug is a different discussion then I previously stated. I too would love a Ford specific charger that the truck accepted during the handshake to know it was a 30 amp 120v circuit. No safety issue there and benefits us as there are tons of RV spots that only have the TT30 option.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or you could buy a 240v travel charger and camp at a park that offers NEMA 14-50 plugs🤷‍♂️
Oh that's a cop-out and you know it :p

This park does have 50 amp sites, but my spouse booked it and didn't know (in the future I will be asked at booking time to look over the site info). But still at least in my neck of the woods TT30s are way more common at campgrounds.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
This would be an OTA update I’d LOVE to see. Unlikely however. Maybe they can get it right on T3

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The only way to do that safely would be to have an EVSE with a TT30 dongle. No manufacturer in their right mind is going to give use an EVSE that allows 30A on a 15A plug.

Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only way to do that safely would be to have an EVSE with a TT30 dongle. No manufacturer in their right mind is going to give use an EVSE that allows 30A on a 15A plug.
Yeah I think that's obvious. I was not saying let us pull 24 amps on the Ford Mobile charger, more like the juice that I tried last year for camping.

rtshinn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat 132 kwh
Here's an adaptor specifically for TT-30 connector to RV outlet for EV charging a Tesla, though a Rivian R1T truck owner says it works for him as well. These may be wired differently than the generic TT-30 to 14-50 adapter. I know that the generic one didn't work on my Ford portable charger using their 14-50 connection.

https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Charg...07XNSXWM4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The problem experienced by some is that their chargers are trying to draw more than 30 amps on the 120v line. Teslas can be modified to draw less. Our Lightning chargers may or may not work at all with this adaptor. What is needed is the above adapter, and a charger that can accept 24 or so amps at 120v. IF the Lightning will accept it at that rate.

Hope I've explained myself clearly.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
Here's an adaptor specifically for TT-30 connector to RV outlet for EV charging a Tesla, though a Rivian R1T truck owner says it works for him as well. These may be wired differently than the generic TT-30 to 14-50 adapter. I know that the generic one didn't work on my Ford portable charger using their 14-50 connection.

https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Charg...07XNSXWM4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The problem experienced by some is that their chargers are trying to draw more than 30 amps on the 120v line. Teslas can be modified to draw less. Our Lightning chargers may or may not work at all with this adaptor. What is needed is the above adapter, and a charger that can accept 24 or so amps at 120v. IF the Lightning will accept it at that rate.

Hope I've explained myself clearly.
With this adapter the Lightning will still detect 120V AC in and slow charge at just 12 amps
Sponsored