• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Portable EVSE Amps over 110v/120v

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Juice got back to me and seemed to confirm the booster 2 should be able to provide the 24 amps at 120v with the adapters (also said the US adapters should be available soon), so now just need to see if Ford updates the truck I guess.
Thanks for following up!…..yea, I’m going to wait for Ford to add the 120v variable amp charging before going forward with purchasing because that’s where the value is for me.

Again, thank you for your followup👍👍
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
speaking of adjustable 120v charging amperage: we're at FDR state park campground in Pine Mountain GEORGIA this weekend, with only a 30amp 120v RV outlet, and the normal 20amp 'household' GFCI outlet next to it.
This is the very situation where you might want to pull more amps for the Truck, using the 30amp outlet, and use the smaller 20amp outlet for the camper. With the Lightning limiting 120v amperage, though, I just use the 20amp outlet for the truck.
Now, with us staying here for the weekend, and probably not using the truck for much or anything during that time, 120v at 11 amps is probably just fine. If, though, you were expecting to charge the truck much quicker, using the 30amp outlet, you'd find it to be no faster. This is the case, as discussed, EVEN if you have an adjustable 120v charger. The truck, itself, is limiting the amperage.

I'll say that some of these things are to be expected. Engineering at Ford probably never contemplated someone using a 30amp outlet at a campground. Maybe they can provide an OTA to allow the owner to 'increase' the truck's charging amperage on a 120v outlet, in this type of situation... that would be a nice option.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
speaking of adjustable 120v charging amperage: we're at FDR state park campground in Pine Mountain GEORGIA this weekend, with only a 30amp 120v RV outlet, and the normal 20amp 'household' GFCI outlet next to it.
This is the very situation where you might want to pull more amps for the Truck, using the 30amp outlet, and use the smaller 20amp outlet for the camper. With the Lightning limiting 120v amperage, though, I just use the 20amp outlet for the truck.
Now, with us staying here for the weekend, and probably not using the truck for much or anything during that time, 120v at 11 amps is probably just fine. If, though, you were expecting to charge the truck much quicker, using the 30amp outlet, you'd find it to be no faster. This is the case, as discussed, EVEN if you have an adjustable 120v charger. The truck, itself, is limiting the amperage.

I'll say that some of these things are to be expected. Engineering at Ford probably never contemplated someone using a 30amp outlet at a campground. Maybe they can provide an OTA to allow the owner to 'increase' the truck's charging amperage on a 120v outlet, in this type of situation... that would be a nice option.
My guess is that Ford wanted to limit 120V to 12A because we all know somebody would take a 24A, 120V EVSE and use adapters to plug it into a standard 15A receptacle. Just an abundance of caution.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I'll say that some of these things are to be expected. Engineering at Ford probably never contemplated someone using a 30amp outlet at a campground.
That would actually shock me that no one would think that. More likely there is some issue at play and it wasn't on the "get down before shipping" list.

My guess is that Ford wanted to limit 120V to 12A because we all know somebody would take a 24A, 120V EVSE and use adapters to plug it into a standard 15A receptacle. Just an abundance of caution.
I suppose, but in reality that situation is just going to cause a breaker to trip (as long as the wiring is code), right? If that is Ford's official response that they won't change it at some point I will be disappointed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I suppose, but in reality that situation is just going to cause a breaker to trip (as long as the wiring is code), right? If that is Ford's official response that they won't change it at some point I will be disappointed.
Not instantly. Excess current could flow long enough to cause excessive heating especially if the wiring is older or an extension cord is used. It’s code to install 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit, and a breaker will carry 25% over current for a long time.
I meant to include this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Portable EVSE Amps over 110v/120v A43EF883-4657-4FFD-8628-9CD05DD61C2E

Last edited:

Sponsored

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 Lightning Portable EVSE Amps over 110v/120v C3A13C2C-2F4A-46E4-A87C-81AFEEAEC417
This is what I see on my adjustable EVSE on 120V, no matter what I set it to.
Add me to the list of people who would like to see a firmware update to the on-board charger to allow for higher current 120V charging. I hope to never need it, but I bought an adjustable EVSE and built the adapters to allow for it as a potential use-case.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
C3A13C2C-2F4A-46E4-A87C-81AFEEAEC417.jpeg
This is what I see on my adjustable EVSE on 120V, no matter what I set it to.
Add me to the list of people who would like to see a firmware update to the on-board charger to allow for higher current 120V charging. I hope to never need it, but I bought an adjustable EVSE and built the adapters to allow for it as a potential use-case.
Yep, this was well documented/posted by other members of the Forum just after the first deliveries this summer. ~1.2 kWh is best your going to get on a 120V circuit regardless of amperage…it stopped me from upgrading from my FMC until @Ford Motor Company changes the firmware….if it’s not a hardware restriction….🤔
Sponsored

Last edited: