• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Portable EVSE Amps over 110v/120v

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Over 110v/120v, do we know if the portable Ford EVSE is 8A or 12A? If 8, and can we try to set it to 12A?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's 12amps, and you can't set anything on it.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
FWIW, while waiting for my FCSP, I decided to conduct a home garage charge test last weekend using Fordā€™s portable EVSE.

Data readings were taken from the FordPass app, so, while not completely scientific, I feel this test provides no surprises and a reasonable expectation of home 120V charging based on these parameters:

Lariat ER @ 76% SoC, 20A@120V Garage outlet - direct plug-in; truck off with doors closed

76%-90%
in 24 hrs - 26 kWh added
Charge Rate: 1.083 kW/hr (26/24)​
76%-100% in 38 hr, 37 min (38.633 hrs) - 41 kWh added
Charge Rate: 1.061 kW/hr (41/38.633)​
The math says this isnā€™t sustainable without a more effective home charge solutionā€¦.even a FCSP de-rated until @Ford Motor Company šŸ¤„ can fix and deliver the EVSE they promisedā€¦..šŸ¤”

cc: @LightningMcQueenAlbany , @PV2EV

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Seems consistent with my experience. Eg from 75% to 92% in 29hr45min

Whatā€™s less clear for me - here in Texas charging outdoors with >100 degree days - is whether there is a material change in charge rates between ambient temperatures.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
1kW per hour is the correct number. We charged our 2021 Mach-E from 10% to 100% in just over 3 days while at my son's house.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Seems consistent with my experience. Eg from 75% to 92% in 29hr45min

Whatā€™s less clear for me - here in Texas charging outdoors with >100 degree days - is whether there is a material change in charge rates between ambient temperatures.
I used mine at L1 on my Mach-E last week while at a vacation cottage. Daytime temps exceeding 100F. The charge rate didnā€™t seem to decline day vs night. Anecdotal observation only - I didnā€™t measure anything.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Seems about right. Might work for someone who only drives 10 miles a day and occasionally takes a slightly longer trip, but 120V is more of a convenience/emergency charge than anything. We plug in to an accessible 120V receptacle when on vacation, but it pretty much just gives us enough that we don't have to interrupt vacation to go fast charging.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
The charge rate didnā€™t seem to decline day vs night. Anecdotal observation only - I didnā€™t measure anything.
By what observation would you have observed relative charge rates, even anecdotally? Is there a display of this in the Mach-E not in the F150L?

Iā€™m a newbie, so Iā€™m missing lots of context.

Iā€™d assume the only way to test would be several periods of data, each charging from and to identical percentages, half the periods performed overnight, half performed midday.

Otherwise curious what if anything the F150L might do for the batteries when temps approach 115+ ambient (as is easily the case on my driveway for hours a day).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By what observation would you have observed relative charge rates, even anecdotally? Is there a display of this in the Mach-E not in the F150L?

Iā€™m a newbie, so Iā€™m missing lots of context.

Iā€™d assume the only way to test would be several periods of data, each charging from and to identical percentages, half the periods performed overnight, half performed midday.

Otherwise curious what if anything the F150L might do for the batteries when temps approach 115+ ambient (as is easily the case on my driveway for hours a day).
I observed that the % charge gained per unit of time stayed constant. I gained 11% in 10 hours, both day and night. Note that % charge resolution is only to the whole number - no decimals. Outside temp peaked at 102 one day. The car was partially shaded.

The level 1 charge rate is so slow, I donā€™t think temps have much affect. One thing for sure, the L1 Charger cannot supply enough power to provide any battery conditioningā€¦.it barely charges the battery.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I observed that the % charge gained per unit of time stayed constant. I gained 11% in 10 hours, both day and night. Note that % charge resolution is only to the whole number - no decimals. Outside temp peaked at 102 one day. The car was partially shaded.
So then you checked the charge gain, on equal intervals, relative to day and night, and for equivalent battery charge levels? Eg you checked at say 10AM and then 8PM, from a 70% charge (to determine day/hot charge rate for 10hrs at the 70% charge level), then another day at say 10PM and then 8AM, also from 70% charge rate?

or at least, some rough version of this, apples-to-apples?

The level 1 charge rate is so slow, I donā€™t think temps have much affect. One thing for sure, the L1 Charger cannot supply enough power to provide any battery conditioningā€¦.it barely charges the battery.
This is sort of the basis of my question in a way. My admittedly ignorant understanding is that at some high temperature EVs might, e.g., actually ā€œwakeā€ to provide cooling to the batteries, or some other functions. If the F150L does anything like this, then during the hot part of the day I would expect there to be possibly a negative charge rate given how little comes off the 120v?

Anyhow, zero claims to understanding or authority here, just learning.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So then you checked the charge gain, on equal intervals, relative to day and night, and for equivalent battery charge levels? Eg you checked at say 10AM and then 8PM, from a 70% charge (to determine day/hot charge rate for 10hrs at the 70% charge level), then another day at say 10PM and then 8AM, also from 70% charge rate?

or at least, some rough version of this, apples-to-apples?

This is sort of the basis of my question in a way. My admittedly ignorant understanding is that at some high temperature EVs might, e.g., actually ā€œwakeā€ to provide cooling to the batteries, or some other functions. If the F150L does anything like this, then during the hot part of the day I would expect there to be possibly a negative charge rate given how little comes off the 120v?

Anyhow, zero claims to understanding or authority here, just learning.
Thatā€™s pretty much what I did, but nothing precise or scientific. I plugged in when we got there late PM. When I got up in the morning, I looked and noticed slightly over 1% per hour. We didnā€™t drive anywhere that day and that evening I looked again and figured the rate was pretty much the same as the night before.

The truck wonā€™t try to do any battery management on L1. Charging at roughly 1KW wonā€™t even move the needle on battery temp.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My observations are that there are some differences in various weather. In my experience with another brand, a car that normally gets 3-4 miles per hour it's plugged in might only get 1 mile per hour of charge in winter because even the 1800W being pumped into the battery isn't enough to keep up with the weather's cooling tendencies. In the summer, I haven't really observed any reduced charging rates with 120V due to needing pack cooling... but I don't live in Phoenix.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
The truck wonā€™t try to do any battery management on L1. Charging at roughly 1KW wonā€™t even move the needle on battery temp.
Rather than heat from the charging itself, I was more curious if it might respond to the 120Ā° ambient temperature at the pavement

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rather than heat from the charging itself, I was more curious if it might respond to the 120Ā° ambient temperature at the pavement
I don't think that's too much of an issue. With some high-performance EV's, setting the super-performance mode actually caused the car to WARM the pack to 50 degC (122 degF) for performance.
Sponsored