• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

20 amps @ 120v

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
The 12A limit sucks. Was hoping to use my 3rd party EVSE to pull 24A out of TT-30 plugs at camp sites this summer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DiveMan911

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
Fake news. 20amp is a different connector than 15amp. You would only be plugging in a 20 amp charger (NEMA 5-20) to a receptacle or extension cord rated for it because the plug wont fit in a standard 15 amp outlet.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 8.48.07 AM.png
Sort of. While I agree with you, it’s supposed to be that way…the plug for the EVSE that we have has a NEMA 5-15 plug, but will allow a draw of up to 16 amps. It claims UL listing…but I have my suspicions about this thing: https://a.co/d/5hlJdBC

Ideally, I’d like Ford to create a NEMA 5-20 plug for the Ford Mobile Charger (they’re already exchangeable) and then allow the 16amp output.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Fake news. 20amp is a different connector than 15amp. You would only be plugging in a 20 amp charger (NEMA 5-20) to a receptacle or extension cord rated for it because the plug wont fit in a standard 15 amp outlet.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 8.48.07 AM.png
How many NEMA 5-20 outlets are installed in your house? Mine has zero - as I suspect most homes do - which means I'd have to install one to use a 16 amp charger. I could call an electrician to do it or I could watch a YouTube video and do it myself.

Now, I happen to know how to identify a 20 amp circuit and verify proper wiring but does a "reasonable person" know how to do those things? I don't know, but I do know that's going to be the first question on the jury instructions for the consumer protection trial.

I'm not saying a 16 amp charger isn't a reasonable thing to allow on an EV. I'm saying I can see why a giant company who gets sued a lot chose not to allow it.

One last thing, my post
that you quoted is obviously my opinion. This is an internet forum where people express opinions. I happen to think my opinion is well informed but maybe you disagree. That's fine, I'm interested in hearing other points of view. When you start a post with "Fake news" you have crossed the line between disagreement and disagreeable. We're all here for our shared interest in the Lightning, it's a lot more fun when we're civil to each other.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Sort of. While I agree with you, it’s supposed to be that way…the plug for the EVSE that we have has a NEMA 5-15 plug, but will allow a draw of up to 16 amps. It claims UL listing…but I have my suspicions about this thing: https://a.co/d/5hlJdBC
Just because it is UL listed doesn't mean it's a good product. You shouldn't pull 16 amps continuously through a 15 amp rated receptacle.

OP
OP
DiveMan911

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just because it is UL listed doesn't mean it's a good product. You shouldn't pull 16 amps continuously through a 15 amp rated receptacle.
I’m aware of the difference between a 15amp receptacle and a 20amp receptacle (although to be sure…plenty of people don’t). The particular outlet that is being utilized is a 20 amp circuit with appropriate outlet, wiring and CB.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I’m aware of the difference between a 15amp receptacle and a 20amp receptacle (although to be sure…plenty of people don’t). The particular outlet that is being utilized is a 20 amp circuit with appropriate outlet, wiring and CB.
You may be aware, but most people aren't. Having a 5-15 plug on that charger could be dangerous to a consumer that doesn't know any better.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
A 6-20P would only fit into a 20A outlet whereas a 5-15P can fit into both 15A and 20A outlets.

As far as I know, Ford is the only EV manufacturer that doesn't allow the user to modify how many amps the vehicle draws during charging. Even the little compliance cars from nearly ten years ago had that software option. Luckily this option can be added in via software in the future if Ford is willing to code it.

If 20A charging instead of 15A charging was the make or break point on using the vehicle, there are options to use two separate outlets, dryer outlets, and other kinds of tricks short of installing a new outlet.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
As far as I know, Ford is the only EV manufacturer that doesn't allow the user to modify how many amps the vehicle draws during charging.
VW. That was just another in a long line of VW ID.4 software misses.
The particular outlet that is being utilized is a 20 amp circuit with appropriate outlet, wiring and CB.
I'm not sure what the employer/employee situation is here, small business, easy access to service panel, co-operative employer, etc. But, someone that knows what they are doing could probably quickly convert that into a 20A 240V circuit for 16A/3.8 kW charging. You'd make sure it is wired in at least 12 ga., install a 20A 240V breaker back at the panel, and a 6-20P where the 5-20P is now.

OP
OP
DiveMan911

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure what the employer/employee situation is here, small business, easy access to service panel, co-operative employer, etc. But, someone that knows what they are doing could probably quickly convert that into a 20A 240V circuit for 16A/3.8 kW charging. You'd make sure it is wired in at least 12 ga., install a 20A 240V breaker back at the panel, and a 6-20P where the 5-20P is now.
Bigger organization. Would likely need permission for any changes. I’ll check into that however.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I can confirm that he’s getting 16 amps from the 120V outlet…as this EVSE has a display that shows the output from the EVSE. When I plug in my truck to the same outlet with the same charger it displays 12amps.
Yes, 16A is possible on a 20A circuit.

For L1, I have a Duosida aftermarket travel charger that has a NEMA 5-20 that prevents being plugged into a common household 5-15.

The Duosida does draw 16A and does charge about 40% faster than the 12A version.

I can attest to the faster charge as we used that during the first year of my wife's PHEV.

Half my house has the 20A circuit shown below w/ corresponding 20A breakers:
Ford F-150 Lightning 20 amps @ 120v 71147494

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It is a bummer that Ford doesn't make more adapters like 5-20 or 6-50 adapters for their mobile charger. I'll definitely put that feedback if they give me a post delivery survey. I have 6-50 outlets in my garage so I'll just have to use an adapter with the 14-50 plug until I can find someone that makes the correct 6-50 adapter.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I had an eGolf and an ID4 and both of them allowed the user to change the charge settings to reduced amps. The EVSE VW provided, however, only charged at 12A max (although it could be hacked to use 240v).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, 16A is possible on a 20A circuit.

For L1, I have a Duosida aftermarket travel charger that has a NEMA 5-20 that prevents being plugged into a common household 5-15.

The Duosida does draw 16A and does charge about 40% faster than the 12A version.

I can attest to the faster charge as we used that during the first year of my wife's PHEV.

Half my house has the 20A circuit shown below w/ corresponding 20A breakers:
If this is true, something must have changed in a recent update. It definitely didn’t used to behave this way.
There was an old thread where somebody found the 12A limit hard-coded in ForScan.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
If this is true, something must have changed in a recent update. It definitely didn’t used to behave this way.
There was an old thread where somebody found the 12A limit hard-coded in ForScan.
What I am referring to is my wife's PHEV that can charge as high as 24A (L2) and 16A (L1).
My wife's PHEV can use the 16A rate as the 3rd party charger can output that on 120VAC.
My garage and half my house has the 20A breakers w/ 5-20 outlets.

Don't really use L1 on my Lightning.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
What I am referring to is my wife's PHEV that can charge as high as 24A (L2) and 16A (L1).
My wife's PHEV can use the 16A rate as the 3rd party charger can output that on 120VAC.
My garage and half my house has the 20A breakers w/ 5-20 outlets.

Don't really use L1 on my Lightning.
Gotcha….I misread your post, thinking that the first sentence was about the Lightning.
Sponsored