• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

3 weeks later and my Lightning is still at the shop.

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
3 weeks ago on July 14th, I had my Lightning Lariat ER towed into my local dealer for a Powertrain malfunction / High Voltage battery warning.

They diagnosed a faulty “battery module” and said Ford shipped a replacement part. 3 weeks later and I still have no idea when my Lightning will be repaired. I spoke to my local service rep a couple of days ago and he said they will call me when the part arrives aka don’t call us we’ll call you. I asked for a tracking number he said there was none.

It’s hard for me to believe the delay is related to supply chain problems since F150 Lightnings are in full production- can’t they take a part from the assembly line? I wouldn’t feel so frustrated if local dealerships had loaner Lightnings or MachEs then at least I wouldn’t need to pay to gas the 62k mile banged up Expedition rental from Enterprise I was provided. Questioning my decision of being an early adopter.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
There have been several posts regarding this failure, but I don’t recall the timeframes that are being quoted.

Sounds like a long delay to me.

You might want to contact the BEV Support team at Ford directly.

You can find both those subjects out here with a 🔍 search.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher Ryan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
3 weeks ago on July 14th, I had my Lightning Lariat ER towed into my local dealer for a Powertrain malfunction / High Voltage battery warning.

They diagnosed a faulty “battery module” and said Ford shipped a replacement part. 3 weeks later and I still have no idea when my Lightning will be repaired. I spoke to my local service rep a couple of days ago and he said they will call me when the part arrives aka don’t call us we’ll call you. I asked for a tracking number he said there was none.

It’s hard for me to believe the delay is related to supply chain problems since F150 Lightnings are in full production- can’t they take a part from the assembly line? I wouldn’t feel so frustrated if local dealerships had loaner Lightnings or MachEs then at least I wouldn’t need to pay to gas the 62k mile banged up Expedition rental from Enterprise I was provided. Questioning my decision of being an early adopter.
I just had the same issue. It took 3 weeks for the dealer to get the battery module during which neither they nor Ford could say when it would arrive other than it is "in transit". However, once it showed up, the dealer had it installed in a day and everything seems to be fine now.

OP
OP

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
I just had the same issue. It took 3 weeks for the dealer to get the battery module during which neither they nor Ford could say when it would arrive other than it is "in transit". However, once it showed up, the dealer had it installed in a day and everything seems to be fine now.
Good to hear, there is a chance it’ll come in soon. Thanks!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good to hear, there is a chance it’ll come in soon. Thanks!
Keep the hope alive, but with caution that some shops are still in the learning curve with this procedure and a few have misplaced critical tools to complete the task, that could add more delay, but hopefully the technician working on your truck has the experience and tools ready to go once the module arrives!!

Sponsored

haresource2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Avalanch
Occupation
business owner
Had my truck for around a month, on 7/1/23 while I was 2 hours away from home on vacation at the lake I got the High Voltage Battery Warning and Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power alarms. My power was reduced to 20% which still allowed me to drive the truck somewhat normally but I couldn't tow my boat. I had charged the truck the night before and had 89% battery. After the alarms my truck faulted every time I tried to charge it. I didn't really drive it during that week to preserve battery. On 7/9/23 It was able to make it home with the 20% power, I was able to drive 80+ mph without problem and it didn't lose speed on the hills. When I got home (29% battery) it started charging but faulted at 62% charge. Ever since I've been able to charge but it faults out between 58% and 62% charge.

I notified my dealer on 7/1/23 when I got the faults. I tried several things including off/on, letting sit, unplugging 12 volt battery, etc. My dealer notified Ford who was already aware of the issue while I was on vacation. When I got back I brought the truck into the dealer to look at it and hook it up to the computer. It was determined that one of the battery modules will have to be replaced. On or before 7/14/23 Ford was sending my dealer a battery module which was supposed to be in around 7/20/23. My dealer scheduled an appointment for 7/31/23 to make sure their schedule was clear and allow more than adequate time for the module to come in. Also, an engineer from Ford was supposed to come down to oversee the replacement.

I didn't really care that the scheduled repair was so long after the diagnosis since the truck was usable. I just couldn't travel more than 150 miles or tow anything heavy. But here's where my frustration starts. I take my truck in on 7/31/23 to find out that neither the battery nor the Ford engineer showed up. I was then told that the battery didn't arrive and that it was backordered and probably won't be in for a couple more weeks.

My dealer has been nothing but awesome during this process. They offered to send someone down to the lake with a loaner truck while I was on vacation. I didn't have them do that since I could borrow my brothers truck to tow my boat, my kids had several other vehicles there too and I had enough battery to get home. Both times that my truck has been in the shop they gave me a brand new loaded F150 as a loaner.

My only frustration is the battery module was not there when my truck was scheduled to be repaired 30 days after everyone knew that it was needed. My dealer said that Ford would likely reach out to me about this issue but that never happened.

Conclusions:
20% power does not affect normal driving but does really hamper acceleration and no way towing a boat.
Was able to start charging if battery was below 60% but battery would fault out and stop charging around 60%.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat

I had this same problem and the whole process was 8 weeks from the day I towed the truck to the dealer until the repair was complete. 4 of those weeks were diagnosing the problem, about 3 weeks for the battery module to arrive and a little less than a week for the repair.

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
Same Issue here I just contacted Ford I filing Lemon Law for NC.. so lets see what happen there is no ETA for mine no truck since July 18

ashro20

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f-150 2015
Had my truck for around a month, on 7/1/23 while I was 2 hours away from home on vacation at the lake I got the High Voltage Battery Warning and Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power alarms. My power was reduced to 20% which still allowed me to drive the truck somewhat normally but I couldn't tow my boat. I had charged the truck the night before and had 89% battery. After the alarms my truck faulted every time I tried to charge it. I didn't really drive it during that week to preserve battery. On 7/9/23 It was able to make it home with the 20% power, I was able to drive 80+ mph without problem and it didn't lose speed on the hills. When I got home (29% battery) it started charging but faulted at 62% charge. Ever since I've been able to charge but it faults out between 58% and 62% charge.

I notified my dealer on 7/1/23 when I got the faults. I tried several things including off/on, letting sit, unplugging 12 volt battery, etc. My dealer notified Ford who was already aware of the issue while I was on vacation. When I got back I brought the truck into the dealer to look at it and hook it up to the computer. It was determined that one of the battery modules will have to be replaced. On or before 7/14/23 Ford was sending my dealer a battery module which was supposed to be in around 7/20/23. My dealer scheduled an appointment for 7/31/23 to make sure their schedule was clear and allow more than adequate time for the module to come in. Also, an engineer from Ford was supposed to come down to oversee the replacement.

I didn't really care that the scheduled repair was so long after the diagnosis since the truck was usable. I just couldn't travel more than 150 miles or tow anything heavy. But here's where my frustration starts. I take my truck in on 7/31/23 to find out that neither the battery nor the Ford engineer showed up. I was then told that the battery didn't arrive and that it was backordered and probably won't be in for a couple more weeks.

My dealer has been nothing but awesome during this process. They offered to send someone down to the lake with a loaner truck while I was on vacation. By the way, I want to share with you a great tool to find solutions for your webwork answers. I didn't have them do that since I could borrow my brothers truck to tow my boat, my kids had several other vehicles there too and I had enough battery to get home. Both times that my truck has been in the shop they gave me a brand new loaded F150 as a loaner.

My only frustration is the battery module was not there when my truck was scheduled to be repaired 30 days after everyone knew that it was needed. My dealer said that Ford would likely reach out to me about this issue but that never happened.

Conclusions:
20% power does not affect normal driving but does really hamper acceleration and no way towing a boat.
Was able to start charging if battery was below 60% but battery would fault out and stop charging around 60%.
it's great that they offered brand new f-150 for you. good to hear that you'll not be left in case of a problem...

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

My dealer has been nothing but awesome during this process. They offered to send someone down to the lake with a loaner truck while I was on vacation. I didn't have them do that since I could borrow my brothers truck to tow my boat, my kids had several other vehicles there too and I had enough battery to get home. Both times that my truck has been in the shop they gave me a brand new loaded F150 as a loaner.

Conclusions:
Hi there, Mark. This battery module concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Ford Lightning truck. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford service dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored