• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The feature was announced at CES 2024 and is coming to the Ford Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning soon.

Much of the auto news out of CES 2024 has focused on EVs, and Google is no exception. The company has announced that Android Auto will share real-time battery updates with Google Maps. The update should initially roll out to the Ford Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning in the coming months before expanding to other Android Auto-compatible EVs in the future.

With this new feature, Google Maps will give you suggestions of charging stations along the route without you having to pull over and search. It should also update you on the car's battery level once you arrive at a destination (something your EV should already do) and provide an estimate of how long it will take to charge. The latter is more novel and could help when you're in a rush.

Google also announced the expansion of Google built-in to additional car brands, such as Nissan and Ford, after first launching in Honda's 2023 Accord sedan's high-end Touring trim. The Chrome browser is now rolling out in beta to select models from Volvo and Polestar (of which Volvo is a part-owner) and should be more widely available later this year. Plus, Google built-in now has The Weather Channel app to track the forecast as you travel.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I love the idea of new features but since the current android auto features don't work reliably I'd prefer if they fixed it first.

I would also prefer to not have to look at the map screen or blank "enable gps" screen for the 98% of driving I do that doesn't need a map.

I use AA almost exclusively when I'm in the truck.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Very very excited about this! Google maps navigation is so much better than the built in Ford Nav and having the EV routing baked in means much less fiddling with ABRP before hand. Currently I use ABRP to plan the trip and then google maps to nav to each charger.

Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Interesting and surprising. Recently the charging incentive program Charge Smart MA stopped supporting Ford EVs because Ford was not allowing them access to charging data trough the truck. Maybe Ford is modifying this policy for GMaps integration? Maybe the Charge Smart MA program will again support the Lightning?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Interesting and surprising. Recently the charging incentive program Charge Smart MA stopped supporting Ford EVs because Ford was not allowing them access to charging data trough the truck. Maybe Ford is modifying this policy for GMaps integration? Maybe the Charge Smart MA program will again support the Lightning?
I would love for a solution that allows me to participate in TOU crediting with my utility [National Grid], until their cyber security policies are rationalized or they actively work with these utilities & their proxies, I have to remain skeptical.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I would love for a solution that allows me to participate in TOU crediting with my utility [National Grid], until their cyber security policies are rationalized or they actively work with these utilities & their proxies, I have to remain skeptical.
It’s interesting that Ford isn’t sharing data with your utility. Duke Power in NC is running a trial now where they get data from Ford. I get up to 800 kWh per month for a fixed price and the power company can control my charging schedule. I’m allowed to override it up to 4 times a year. I did a post about it a while back.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/duke-power-nc-charging-trial.17471/

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I've been hoping for this feature in Lightning, I have it in my Volvo C40 and it is very accurate with the SOC at arrival.

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
Very happy to hear about this upcoming feature. We're all Android and Google Maps is super helpful, glad to hear about more deeper integration with the truck 😁

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
I love the idea of new features but since the current android auto features don't work reliably I'd prefer if they fixed it first.

I would also prefer to not have to look at the map screen or blank "enable gps" screen for the 98% of driving I do that doesn't need a map.

I use AA almost exclusively when I'm in the truck.

What problems do you have with AA? I can't think of one I experience.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The company has announced that Android Auto will share real-time battery updates with Google Maps.
But will it also roll over into Waze? IIRC, Waze, Google's stepchild, has a history of getting handme-downs from Google Maps, which will undoubtedly integrate the info gleaned from the truck by Android Auto. I much prefer Waze for local driving over anything else and I might even switch back to Android if Google gives Waze some EV love.

Basically, everything about Waze except for the EV integration seems better. I especially like the crowd-sourcing of info, the Go Now vs. Go Later that allows you to see how time-of-day might affect your route, etc.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
What problems do you have with AA? I can't think of one I experience.
After the last update my Spotify will drop the audio ramdomly, I have to unplug, plug back in to get it back. It will do it sometimes twice a day, sometimes every track. As i mentioned before, having a locked map as half the screen is horrible. Waste of a beautiful screen. I also tried wireless once, not a good experience.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Here is the big question. Which will we get first.

A) This update for Android Auto

B) Access to Tesla supercharger network

C) Bluecruise 1.X

Place your bets!

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Here is the big question. Which will we get first.

A) This update for Android Auto

B) Access to Tesla supercharger network

C) Bluecruise 1.X

Place your bets!
Supercharger
Sponsored