• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
DC charging will be just like neighborhood gas stations for many folks for quite some time. You wonder why they bought it in the first place but everyone has their reasons.

So maybe not the intent for many of us who have the luxury of home charging but it is the reality for some.
You are 100% correct. DC Charging still remains the only source of power for many people.

Although it's a well known fact that DC fast charging wears out batteries faster than slowed AC charging, the fact is most car owners only keep their cars for a short time, so it makes you wonder if they even care about the long term effects. That also means you never know how well treated a used EV battery was.

Unfortunately, for people who live in areas like mine that can't use a home charger, Tesla is still literally the only option, especially when the only SuperChargers in the area are V2. There are 6 EVs on my block. 5 of them are Teslas, 2 of those are people without home chargers.
Sponsored

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
It's not just big metropolitan areas. When I was charging at an EA in a suburb of Austin Texas in the late evening, I saw several folks that appeared to be residents nearby. I swear one guy was wearing pajamas.

DC charging will be just like neighborhood gas stations for many folks for quite some time. You wonder why they bought it in the first place but everyone has their reasons.

So maybe not the intent for many of us who have the luxury of home charging but it is the reality for some.
Yep, I’ve met a lot of locals at charging stations and many of them got free charging with their EV so they take advance that.

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
Confession to make! On the way back from Arizona and two for two now on Tesla superchargers working great. My confession is I looked up the Barstow charger that failed me on the way to AZ and I realized I went to the wrong one. So I will head to the right one and test it out. I will also re-test Mammoth Lakes tomorrow on the way back.
How was your experience at Mammoth Lakes on your return trip?

Reactions: LSP
OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
How was your experience at Mammoth Lakes on your return trip?
So sorry! I was in a big hurry to get home and choose to drive past.

I believe that two of us confirmed we tried about 5 chargers to all of them, each, and had a negative experience there. Although, every supercharger I used on the way back worked flawlessly, which gave me a lot of hope. I always camp along 395 and will be back there soon.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Eating Humble Pie. I took my Bronco camping and pulled over in a parking lot in Mammoth Lakes, on Old Mammoth Road. Sitting next to me was the right Tesla Super Charging station that I didn’t use when I created this thread. FYI.

Just double check you are going to the right super charger. I think I relied on Google twice instead of looking at app address. Sorry!

Sponsored

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
Eating Humble Pie. I took my Bronco camping and pulled over in a parking lot in Mammoth Lakes, on Old Mammoth Road. Sitting next to me was the right Tesla Super Charging station that I didn’t use when I created this thread. FYI.

Just double check you are going to the right super charger. I think I relied on Google twice instead of looking at app address. Sorry!
So, which one on Old Mammoth Road did you end up at that was working? The "older" one that is a couple of blocks off of Main Street (203) or the new Tesla chargers further down on the right next to the skating rink?

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
So, which one on Old Mammoth Road did you end up at that was working? The "older" one that is a couple of blocks off of Main Street (203) or the new Tesla chargers further down on the right next to the skating rink?
I went to the one of Tavern and didn’t realize it was the wrong one that doesn’t show up on the App. Couple days ago I was sitting next to the one on Old Mammoth Road and pulled up my app and realized my mistake. I didn’t charge at that one, because I was in my Bronco.

I guess it would have worked for me, but can’t be sure until I try that one out. My trip to Arizona worked flawlessly when I went to the right superchargers. I’m still not going to trust them on my upcoming trips and will always have EAs noted in case they do not work.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
I went to the one of Tavern and didn’t realize it was the wrong one that doesn’t show up on the App. Couple days ago I was sitting next to the one on Old Mammoth Road and pulled up my app and realized my mistake. I didn’t charge at that one, because I was in my Bronco.

I guess it would have worked for me, but can’t be sure until I try that one out. My trip to Arizona worked flawlessly when I went to the right superchargers. I’m still not going to trust them on my upcoming trips and will always have EAs noted in case they do not work.
FYI, when I was up there in April the second one was not even yet on the Tesla App. I tried the old one by Tavern and was unsuccessful at several stations. So I went down to the new one and tried those but they didn't work either. They did have a couple of slower J1772 plugs there that were free so there is that. Perhaps the newer Tesla chargers were just not fully up to speed at that point as they were not "officially" online. It would be nice to get confirmation from someone that the new chargers do, in fact work with the adaptor.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Both Tesla and Ford say v4 superchargers are compatible with NACS. In fact, many of them don't need the NACS adapter as many of the v4 installations to date have MagicDocks.
I’ve used my adapter to charge at two different V4 stations. They have the adapter built in but are not yet enabled to dispense. Love the long cables at V4!

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing in Santa Monica. (Didn't know there were two until I got into the parking structure for the wrong one!)
Oddly the "old" Supercharger in Mammoth is better suited to connect to the Lightning, with its pull-thru station design. But it is not the right V3. So I guess we'll have to take up two spots.

Sponsored

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
I just got the A2Z adapter so I could use Tesla V3+ chargers on a long trip I am taking. In preparation, I took the CCS adapter to a V3 Supercharger to test and work out any bugs prior to the trip. Things I discovered:
1. Even if you have a Tesla account (as I do for my Model 3) you still need to register in the Tesla app in the Charge My Your EV section of the app. You don't need to reenter your payment info, just your address. This added a few minutes before I could start the charging session.
2. The Tesla app is your friend when it comes to finding compatible Superchargers. Use the search feature. It will only show you compatible Superchargers on the map, unlike Plug share, etc.
3. This super important...You have to lock the adapter once you attach it to the NACS cable...and it's not exactly easy or intuitive. Like others have said, use the ground as a surface to allow you to put more "plugging" force to make sure it is seated completely. Secondly, the charger will throw a "charging fault" if the locking switch on the adapter is not in the correct position. The problem is that it is in the locked position when you can see "unlocked" on the adapter switch. I guess A2Z thought that pushing the switch towards the "locked" wording was obvious, but when you do that, the word you see is "unlocked" and the switch covers the "locked" wording. To me, by doing that, the switch covers the "locked" word and exposing the "unlocked" wording, which to me means unlocked. So to reiterate, when the adpter is really locked, what you see is "unlocked." I had charging faults twice before I realized the seeing "unlocked" means locked.

Once I got everything figured out, the charging went perfectly, even hitting 171kw for more than 7 minutes. As someone who has been using Superchargers for years, I am really happy to get access to the absolutely best charging network out there. Now, it would be nice if I didn't have to take 2 spots to charge. I'm sure that I'm going to catch flak for blocking a charger at a busy Supercharger one of these days. I know as a Tesla driver, I would be pissed if I had to wait for some Lightning idiot blocking the only available Supercharger. 🤣

Ford F-150 Lightning Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z? Screenshot_20240524-181915

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Got my A2Z DC adapter two days ago (Ordered on May 1).
Tested it out at Tesla charger. Initiated charging in the Tesla app. All worked as expected. Hit about 167 kW max.

Used the right most spot so as not to block a spot.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z? 1717029772842-d7
Ford F-150 Lightning Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z? 1717029813232-2v

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the A2Z combo Destination and Typhoon NACS adapters in late April and they were due to be delivered last week, but they seems to have disappeared after entering customs in NY.

@A2ZEV called Tuesday to say they would be shipping replacements overnight. And indeed I received notice today from UPS that they are to be delivered tomorrow. 🤞.

I can’t say enough about how alert and attentive their customer service team is. Kudos!!

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
All sounds cool. I will test out the Mammoth options next time I' m up here. How do you know if a Tesla charger is "V3"?

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
All sounds cool. I will test out the Mammoth options next time I' m up here. How do you know if a Tesla charger is "V3"?
Use the Tesla App to tell you if its compatible with your NACS adaptor.
Sponsored