• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Currently on my way to Flagstaff AZ from Lake Tahoe and tried using my charger three times. Failed in Mammoth Lakes, Ca and just now in Barstow, Ca. I was successful in Lone Pine, Ca and at my local charger as a test in Tahoe. Not too happy and could have been stranded relying on the supercharger in Mommoth, but made it to Bishop luckily. Just curious if others are having the same hit and miss.
Thanks in advanced.
Edit: By the way, if anyone heading to Overland Expo in Flagstaff I’ll have my camper and truck inside the event with Four Wheel Campers. Stop by and say hi!
Ford F-150 Lightning Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z? IMG_7374
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Those failed wouldn’t have been V2 or V4? Remember only V3 changes are available to us and not all of them have been updated yet.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
Just checking the obvious here. Both Mammoth lakes and Barstow have both V2 and V3 chargers. Were you at the the V3 locations?

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Just checking the obvious here. Both Mammoth lakes and Barstow have both V2 and V3 chargers. Were you at the the V3 locations?
Has to be that he was at a V2 stall, both those stations are listed as adapter compatible on Tesla's site. There are some 'mixed' stations that are not listed as adapter compatible, not sure why. Waco, TX and Trinidad, CO are this way.

Here is a video that shows how to tell them apart.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
How did it fail?

The only failure I had was with one stall. It did start charging fine and this is what I saw but faulted within a minute or so. I switched stalls and everything went fine. The problem unit cord had questionable looking contacts. Not sure if that was the cause.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any problems at Tesla Supercharger with A2Z? 1715877454305-9r

Sponsored

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
Currently on my way to Flagstaff AZ from Lake Tahoe and tried using my charger three times. Failed in Mammoth Lakes, Ca and just now in Barstow, Ca. I was successful in Lone Pine, Ca and at my local charger as a test in Tahoe. Not too happy and could have been stranded relying on the supercharger in Mommoth, but made it to Bishop luckily. Just curious if others are having the same hit and miss.
Thanks in advanced.
Edit: By the way, if anyone heading to Overland Expo in Flagstaff I’ll have my camper and truck inside the event with Four Wheel Campers. Stop by and say hi!
IMG_7374.jpeg
I, too was in Mammoth in April and had the same issues at all of the Tesla chargers that I tried, both at the old location and the new one at the ice rink. I was also successful in Lone Pine. Hopefully they update those chargers as a high speed CCS/NACS option in Mammoth is sorely needed!

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I would have replied to the other post, but trying to make up for lost time at the superchargers and avoiding Tesla all together , since I have to make it in at Flagstaff by 5pm. I’m happy to hear I wasn’t going crazy at Mammoth Lakes. I saw the chargers that were not compatible, as the app would not let you use them. So, I wonder what’s going on

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I have had a pile of failures at NACS chargers with both my Mustang and my Lightning. I will not rely on NACS chargers and will continue to use CCS1 chargers as first options.

At this point, I've had 5 successful charges out of 15 attempts, if I don't count the Lightning. I tend to not count the attempts with the Lightning (none successful) because I'm not certain my Lightning has had the proper software update.

Several times the problem was that the post was simply offline but neither the standard behavior of leaving the plug laying on the ground nor the app indicated that it was offline. And, of course, there are not external indications on the post itself. I've run into plugs with broken pins. I've had communication issues. I've had the post charge for a couple of kWh and then just disconnect for no clear reason.

My experience is that NACS stations are only "reliable" if you are willing and able to try every post at the station, and that's just not worth my time. For now they're useful as backup or if they're the only option on a drive I would like to do.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I just finished a 3500 mile road trip from Austin TX to Denver CO via stops in OK and KS, and continued on to visit several National Parks in Utah. ABRP routed me to mostly Tesla Superchargers and I had no issues except charging rates dropped to 100Kw after a few minutes. Utah was predominantly ChargePoint land however.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had a few issues but they're not the norm when it comes to NACS. At first I had what I think was an adapter issue, my truck had an issue and couldn't establish communications with any Tesla chargers after a few weeks of use. Fortunately A2Z shipped me a new one within a day to an intermediate stop on a series of long commutes away from home (temporarily was in San Antonio for work). The new adapter has performed flawlessly. I personally carry enough charge now so if NACS fails for any reason I can still make a CCS charger. That said, the new adapter has given me no trouble. The sticky lock can cause a charge fault but you just have to make sure it's seated all the way.

If you encounter issues, put it in plugshare just in case it is an issue with the stop!

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Do you have a source for the V4 chargers not working?
V4’s are being installed in the European market and we’re to roll out here this year, but who knows now with the Tesla SuperCharger shakeup. If you want a source do your research through Out of Spec Reviews. Kyle has mentioned it in his charging travels over the past few months.
Sponsored