• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone else hate the charge port doors?

twixr3000

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E / 22 Platinum ER
Love my Lightning and wife's Mach E, but I think the charge port doors feel cheap.
I think I have closed it (not every time) and get the message that it is not closed...so out i get and close it.
Had a Tesla but I do like these vehicles better, Elon had the charge port door figured out properly.
Ok, all the whining I will do lol
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, not the greatest design, but not the worst either.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
I find the charge door INFURIATING. Trying to close the door usually takes several attempts to get it to latch.
I can close my without issue. I'm 3 months in and have yet to open mine on my first push attempt. I feel like an idiot every time, but it is what it is.

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I can close my without issue. I'm 3 months in and have yet to open mine on my first push attempt. I feel like an idiot every time, but it is what it is.
I have both sides of this issue. I am 7 months in, opening is usually ok, not 100%, but closing I have to make sure I push in 1 specific location at a very specific angle...Definitely room for improvement

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I don't understand this door issue. For 50 years we have had doors over gas caps, many designs, mostly fine, some not so good. Why must the charge port door be different than a gas cap door?
Yes. I have no issues with mine so far, but it does feel flimsy and the latch engagement gives no feedback. Lexus (and others) has a similar push-to-open system but it feels solid.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Occupation
Ford Guy
I have both sides of this issue. I am 7 months in, opening is usually ok, not 100%, but closing I have to make sure I push in 1 specific location at a very specific angle...Definitely room for improvement
I had a Mach E and a Volt prior and no issues with either of those.

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I don't understand this door issue. For 50 years we have had doors over gas caps, many designs, mostly fine, some not so good. Why must the charge port door be different than a gas cap door?
gas doors are not waterproof. these doors with the seal take some pressure to close. works fine for me

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I've only had mine in freezing iced-over weather, and I can say that doesn't make it any better...! Thought I was going to break it trying to get it open