• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone figured out how to turn off the frunk beeping yet?

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
I can confirm from when I made the original post that there are no codes. The truck has no way to tell if the buzzer is operating or not due to its design.
Just got back from taking it out! n I spent awhile trying to do it from underneath and from the front passenger wheel well. Nearly impossible, frunk had to come out
Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
This is such a necessary mod, and I don't see how the beeping helps at all with safety. Seems like a laywer move that just creates noise pollution.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but once I popped out the module it was very easy to reach. Actually delayed doing the mod because I wasn't quite sure about that.

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Speaker removed thanks to the video. Much appreciated. Maybe I missed it in the video but I had 2 - 13mm bolts in the subfunk as well, so 8 total. Easy to figure it out but thought I would pass it along. I also used painters tape to attach the harness in an easy to reach place so I can reattach if necessary without removing the frunk next time. Total time was about an hour and the kids loved looking 'under the hood' at the battery/front motor.

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Speaker removed thanks to the video. Much appreciated. Maybe I missed it in the video but I had 2 - 13mm bolts in the subfunk as well, so 8 total. Easy to figure it out but thought I would pass it along. I also used painters tape to attach the harness in an easy to reach place so I can reattach if necessary without removing the frunk next time. Total time was about an hour and the kids loved looking 'under the hood' at the battery/front motor.
Always good to get the kids involved and glad you can enjoy the truck in peace now . Still pretty bummed that the author of that video gave zero credit to megaohm...Oh well.

Sponsored

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've noticed that the odds aren't nearly as stacked in my favor as when I'm driving my 23 year-old Nissan. People don't hear the Lightning. I've seen some shocked looks when they realize how oblivious they were being so close to something so big.

The frunk sound is really annoying. The forward pedestrian sound not so noticeable.
I think the sound in question people want to disable is the garbage truck backup beeping, not the pedestrian UFO sound. Unfortunately I have not seen a method to disable one and not the other.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Has anyone tried reducing the sound level yet instead of completely removing it? I thinking wrap it in heavy duct tape or something. I have small kids so I don't want to create an unsafe condition. Just want to muffle the sound a little bit.
What is the unsafe condition that requires a beeping sound when opening or closing the frunk? Seriously?

Like.. "hey, if you are on a hoverboard sitting directly above the hood of this vehicle, get out of the way!"

or perhaps "if you are a totally blind person who happened to put their hands inside the frunk while it was open, *and* you can not hear the fairly loud motor closing it BUT you could hear an annoying beep, *and* I can not be bothered to tell you I am closing it on your hands"

Reactions: dww

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
What is the unsafe condition that requires a beeping sound when opening or closing the frunk? Seriously?

Like.. "hey, if you are on a hoverboard sitting directly above the hood of this vehicle, get out of the way!"

or perhaps "if you are a totally blind person who happened to put their hands inside the frunk while it was open, *and* you can not hear the fairly loud motor closing it BUT you could hear an annoying beep, *and* I can not be bothered to tell you I am closing it on your hands"
Seriously? Why does it bother you so much that I want some kind of notice that the frunk is closing. I'm a tall dude, I've been hit in the head more times than I like by my wife's liftgate on her SUV cause my kid hit the button to soon to put it down while I was reaching in to get something else out. Last fall the kids were sitting in the frunk while tailgating at a college football game. Loud music playing, everyone laughing having a good time. Someone's elbow hit the button on accident and the frunk starts to come down on the kids that were watching people play cornhole.

So yes, there are situations where a notice that the frunk was moving would be nice. It may not be relevant to you and your life style but it is to me.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Unfortunately that totally disables both.

You would think one could install a lowpass filter in front of the speaker, to block out "beeps" while allowing the UFO noise. Anyone tried this?
Well, using the remote to disable the beep while you back up, then enabling it after you finish backing up solves the issue. If you forget to turn it back on, you can get the variant that has it normally on and it will be on next time you start the vehicle. The sounds come from the same speaker, there is no solution (like Forscan) that provides 1 without the other.

A lowpass filter would only work if the speaker is getting its audio from a source sending it through the wire. I believe all the sound components are contained in this little speaker. It's just sent a turn on/off command for each sound type. It would be redoing a PCB board if you wanted to isolate one from the other.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
A lowpass filter would only work if the speaker is getting its audio from a source sending it through the wire. I believe all the sound components are contained in this little speaker. It's just sent a turn on/off command for each sound type. It would be redoing a PCB board if you wanted to isolate one from the other.
Are you sure of that? I actually find that hard to believe because it would make it impossible for Ford to software update the sound if they ever thought they had to - see Tesla for example, the sound is all software.

@WillB17 have you ever removed this speaker? Is it just a regular speaker that a lowpass filter could block the beeping - IE who owns the "sound file" ?

EDIT: according to this post, it is indeed just a regular old speaker. So a lowpass filter might indeed do the trick. It also means, should be relatively simple to install a volume control... https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/switch-to-silence-backup-beep.14620/post-311525

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Are you sure of that? I actually find that hard to believe because it would make it impossible for Ford to software update the sound if they ever thought they had to - see Tesla for example, the sound is all software.

@WillB17 have you ever removed this speaker? Is it just a regular speaker that a lowpass filter could block the beeping - IE who owns the "sound file" ?
Tesla and Ford go about their hardware and software in very different ways. Tesla is designed from ground up and completely customized, Ford reutilizes as much of the F-150 ICE platform as possible. Look at the frunk speaker...just an on/off, enable/disable.

You could be right, but I would be surprised as this would be a completely unique feature that would require a non-standard F-150 module to output an audio signal to a vanilla speaker.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Tesla and Ford go about their hardware and software in very different ways. Tesla is designed from ground up and completely customized, Ford reutilizes as much of the F-150 ICE platform as possible. Look at the frunk speaker...just an on/off, enable/disable.

You could be right, but I would be surprised as this would be a completely unique feature that would require a non-standard F-150 module to output an audio signal to a vanilla speaker.
It's already confirmed it is a simple speaker from the other thread where the poster disassembled it.