• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone figured out how to turn off the frunk beeping yet?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Unfortunately that totally disables both.

You would think one could install a lowpass filter in front of the speaker, to block out "beeps" while allowing the UFO noise. Anyone tried this?
My bypasses only control Pedestrian sounder speaker noises. Not the frunk as that is an entirely different buzzer.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
My bypasses only control Pedestrian sounder speaker noises. Not the frunk as that is an entirely different buzzer.
Yeah this thread is confusing but I am actully talking about the backup sound, which comes from the pedestrian speaker. The issue is, that one speaker does two things... the low-speed UFO sound (which is a low frequency) and the backup garbage truck beep (which is a high frequency). The concern is, if you just totally disconnect the speaker, you lose all sound. When really all we want to eliminate is the garbage truck beep. I am going to try installing a low pass filter to see if I can do that.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Sounds good. Keep us posted.
OK, so I finally got around to working on this this weekend, and it was quite the adventure.

First thing I did was totally remove the speaker. This was harder than I thought it would be based on descriptions here.. it is a tight spot to get a wrench into to remove those two bolts. I eventually got it off though.

The next thing I wanted to do was create a factory-tight connection for the speaker with an extension wire, to give me something I could splice into and play around with without worrying about damaging any factory components. For this I used the tailgate removal plug, which many already mentioned is a perfect fit for this speaker's wire harness. I took a couple of jumper pins I had in my electronics kit and soldered them to wires, then poked them into this harness cable to create a male end... boom, factory good connection. Unfortunately, I do not have the comparable female end to hook into the speaker - so for now I just used two press clips. Does anyone know the name of this type of ford connector, can I order one online???

Next task was to try out this low filter bypass. I hooked it all up, connected it to a 12v power source, set everything in the middle, then turned on the truck - nothing. Then I realized the 12v power source I was using (a battery jump box) seemed to have some kind of "load sensor" and I don't think it was supplying reliable power. I did not have any other 12v battery lying around., so I figured I would connect it to one of my 18v power tool batteries, thinking it would be fine.... BIG MISTAKE, it instantly fried the low flter bypass... so much for that.

However, I was determined to do something in between "no sound at all" and "garbage truck to wake all the neighbours" - then I got to thinking, if this is a regular speaker, then why can't I put in a volume control... so that is exactly what I did. I dug out a 50K variable resistor from my kit and soldered it inline in the wire, set it to 0, and put the truck in reverse - full volume sound. Then I turned it a little up, went back in the truck, tried it again- VOLUME LOWERED - SUCCESS

Last task was to decide where to put it - I figured out a nice little spot inside the top right of the frunk, up by the power lift piston, there is plenty of space there. I mounted my volume control and ran the wires down to the speaker and reinstalled it, and taped up the temporary wire connections. Next weekend when I have more time I will re-route it all the way into the interior drivers side so I can play with it in real time. I am determined to re-visit the low frequency bypass idea at a later date - I may do some more research on what kind we really need to delete just the beeping - or maybe I will just use an Arduino and do it in software - but for now, I have a totally adjustable garbage truck beep.

Last edited:

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So I got the speaker removed which takes care of the frunk beep, but is there one for the power tailgate beep when activated by the remote? Does anyone know if is this part of the pedestrian speaker?

Sponsored

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
So I got the speaker removed which takes care of the frunk beep, but is there one for the power tailgate beep when activated by the remote? Does anyone know if is this part of the pedestrian speaker?
This is not part of the pedestrian speaker. There is a speaker in the rear that still has yet to be located if I remember correctly.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I removed the beeper & tested & the frunk worked fine & no beeper. Put it all back together & now neither the remote or the button will open the frunk. Any ideas?

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I tried pulling & restting the fuse which did nothing. I ended up manually opening the frunk & it started working after that.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I tried pulling & restting the fuse which did nothing. I ended up manually opening the frunk & it started working after that.
Every time you disconnect the 12 volt battery the frunk has to be closed manually. Stupid Ford. Just force it down slowly and when it gets to the bottom it will suck itself down with the power latch.

Sponsored

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I didn’t disconnect the 12 volt battery & after removing the alarm it wouldn’t shut. I closed it manually & it wouldn’t work after that.
I’m not sure what caused it to start working other than manually opening the trunk.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I have a 2023 Lariat with the extended battery and I did get an error on my dash screen after removing this so there must be a code associated with it. Does anyone here who took theirs off have a 2023 model? I don’t know why that would be different from 2022 but I don’t know why I would be the only one getting a message.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I have a 2023 Lariat with the extended battery and I did get an error on my dash screen after removing this so there must be a code associated with it. Does anyone here who took theirs off have a 2023 model? I don’t know why that would be different from 2022 but I don’t know why I would be the only one getting a message.
Post a pic of the dash error. Could be something else you did.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Ok, so I took the beeper module off again but I believe the error I was getting was from the larger plug that I had to unplug before taking the frunk tub out. When I first tested it yesterday I hadn’t put everything back together and that plug was still unplugged. I’m happy to share that after plugging that back in I now have a silent frunk and no error message!

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone figured out how to turn off the frunk beeping yet? IMG_0666
Sponsored