• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bluecruise OTA Status?

OP
OP

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, Audi R8, Audi S5, Audi Q7,
I guess i received 2.4.5 last night after getting 2.4.3 13 days ago. Odd thing is that it would have downloaded while sitting in a metal shed (which is almost like a faraday cage) at my farm. No Wi-Fi to speak of there to assist in the download.
Sponsored

Aaron34

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 4x4
Occupation
Aircraft Dispatcher
I received 2.4.5 tonight (while driving) after receiving 2.4.4 last night. I know it's wishful thinking, but hopefully... maybe... this means OTA's are moving faster now.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks Jesse for being brutally honest here. I think it is already evident even Ford isn't too behind this either as it seems it has taken them many months to even get this far to try and get a fix out.

I apologize to some degree that I do this, because I have in a few places, but I compare to Tesla, because many don't know and understand. This is what happens when Ford doesn't design something decent from the ground up for OTA updates. I do know it could be a million reasons why this Ford release failed and I don't know if they have a decent process or not. However Tesla never missed a beat. Close to 2 million cars update on average over once a month. To play in this arena you have to be rock solid.

It seems they have done better with the MachE and I'm hoping for Lightning support, but they still aren't willing to truly evolve and update on any decent scale. It takes months and months.
I don’t know I blame you or anyone for a comparison to tesla. The way fords updates roll out is about as stupid as one can imagine.

Let’s say for a min you buy an iPhone. It’s three or four years old. You want to install iOS 15. Simple right. You go to updates it shows the latest one and you select install now. Simple reasonable and makes sense. I’m assuming this is how Tesla does it as well.

Well with that example let’s explain how ford does it. You have to get your computer. Go to iTunes. Hook up see the updates available. Then you have to incrementally install every single version of iOS up until 15 every single little build no matter how small or how big. Then on top of it to get the next update you have to send confirmation from the phone the update has been installed. Then and only then will the next update be released.

Ford has installed an Ethernet system two wire only for OTAs to increase the speed of the communication for OTAs. 4 modules are on the network gateway is the router I guess you could say. The problem is though no matter the modules being updated the gateway has to sign the file. So the failure typically comes from the gateway approving the update. It’s so stupid I can’t even put into words. Ford has hired some of the most old school backwards thinking people I could imagine. This is what you get though when you have people that aren’t engineers running things. To any engineer it would only make sense that if an update is available then the update includes all previous revisions. Before any of you say well yeah but what if they have to load the files sequentially. No. Because it’s a total wipe and rewrite every time. Ha ha. How GD stupid is that !? You are wiping and rewriting EVERY TIME.

The gateway is a 8gb flash storage. So the update has to download to the gateway and be distributed out to the proper module. what about when the update exceeds 8gb?

The other situation that really was eye opening about this was the ipma. I had theorized the hardware was different in job 2 and later. That was why they were shipping with BC. I saw the price had gone up to 3000$ from about $500. I thought guess they found a hardware issue and are working to get it resolved. No they took the files straight from job 2 and dropped them into job 1. In fact you can take a job 1 ipma and PMI it in a job 2 truck. Not one file is different. Do you know how pissed I was for people that had been waiting for BC to find out ford could have pushed this update at any time?

End of day ford better get their act together on these updates. Ford sold these as the solution to dealers being bothered with having to do updates and customers having to bother dealers for updates. They sold this as you get these while you sleep. Ford told us that. We didn’t imagine it.

The fact that we had as many issues as we had doing them manually shows just how screwed people are. You are talking about people like me, Livnitup iceman ,bob Mac , JEB, ajz I think is a nuclear engineer and the others are extremely intelligent and smart engineers and developers and tonesto.. we all know has provided the widget.. that guy is incredibly talented, these are guys that are on par with anyone I could imagine and they have All had issues and trouble and cursed these updates up and down.

Now imagine a guy that does mechanic work all day and has to run to Best Buy for a cable or usb drive and can’t explain what the hell the difference is between exfat and NTSF. This is not to take a shot at the techs this is a shot at ford for leaving the techs holding their D***. These guys are going into this with no clue of what they are about to run up against. If you were to read that blue cruise satisfaction program paper and you are someone who has done these updates you would laugh for hours at how they make this sound. They make it sound like these updates just roll on in. No issue no problems just press, click and blue cruise .

I typed this last night and I was pretty steamed. Im not as steamed this morning and I waited to post it since I was upset. I read it this morning and it still has some things I think people need to understand about the updates. I also again want to emphasize I am not trying to take shots at the dealers or their staff. I know they are the low hanging fruit we all love to hate but if any of us had a job and dint get the proper training I think we all would find it hard to learn as we go. Eventually we would get it but these techs are trying to make money and feed their families. SO taking 3-4 days tinkering with this stuff would break any person.

Ford just needs to get a team together that focuses on this. THey have a Ford GT team. I mean they made dealers go through a process for servicing that car and it was about 500 units. Now why wouldnt you have a team for something that is in the highest selling vehicle in America. THe F150, the Bronco and the Mach E all share this and its in the 21 edge to an extent and 22 Super Duty. It will be spreading out to all. The 22 Navigator has this now along with Active Glide(BC for Lincoln).

I hope Ford understands guys like me arent trying to destroy Ford we are helping them. Yet they attack me. They go after me. They have banned me from FDRS for months at a time. They have closed accounts of mine. THey have made me an enemy. I dont understand. Had I not done everything I have I wouldnot be able to help those I have.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Any non-EAP guys gone into 2.4.x and beyond OTA? Asking for a friend.

Sponsored
OP
OP

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t know I blame you or anyone for a comparison to tesla. The way fords updates roll out is about as stupid as one can imagine.

Let’s say for a min you buy an iPhone. It’s three or four years old. You want to install iOS 15. Simple right. You go to updates it shows the latest one and you select install now. Simple reasonable and makes sense. I’m assuming this is how Tesla does it as well.

Well with that example let’s explain how ford does it. You have to get your computer. Go to iTunes. Hook up see the updates available. Then you have to incrementally install every single version of iOS up until 15 every single little build no matter how small or how big. Then on top of it to get the next update you have to send confirmation from the phone the update has been installed. Then and only then will the next update be released.

Ford has installed an Ethernet system two wire only for OTAs to increase the speed of the communication for OTAs. 4 modules are on the network gateway is the router I guess you could say. The problem is though no matter the modules being updated the gateway has to sign the file. So the failure typically comes from the gateway approving the update. It’s so stupid I can’t even put into words. Ford has hired some of the most old school backwards thinking people I could imagine. This is what you get though when you have people that aren’t engineers running things. To any engineer it would only make sense that if an update is available then the update includes all previous revisions. Before any of you say well yeah but what if they have to load the files sequentially. No. Because it’s a total wipe and rewrite every time. Ha ha. How GD stupid is that !? You are wiping and rewriting EVERY TIME.

The gateway is a 8gb flash storage. So the update has to download to the gateway and be distributed out to the proper module. what about when the update exceeds 8gb?

The other situation that really was eye opening about this was the ipma. I had theorized the hardware was different in job 2 and later. That was why they were shipping with BC. I saw the price had gone up to 3000$ from about $500. I thought guess they found a hardware issue and are working to get it resolved. No they took the files straight from job 2 and dropped them into job 1. In fact you can take a job 1 ipma and PMI it in a job 2 truck. Not one file is different. Do you know how pissed I was for people that had been waiting for BC to find out ford could have pushed this update at any time?

End of day ford better get their act together on these updates. Ford sold these as the solution to dealers being bothered with having to do updates and customers having to bother dealers for updates. They sold this as you get these while you sleep. Ford told us that. We didn’t imagine it.

The fact that we had as many issues as we had doing them manually shows just how screwed people are. You are talking about people like me, Livnitup iceman ,bob Mac , JEB, ajz I think is a nuclear engineer and the others are extremely intelligent and smart engineers and developers and tonesto.. we all know has provided the widget.. that guy is incredibly talented, these are guys that are on par with anyone I could imagine and they have All had issues and trouble and cursed these updates up and down.

Now imagine a guy that does mechanic work all day and has to run to Best Buy for a cable or usb drive and can’t explain what the hell the difference is between exfat and NTSF. This is not to take a shot at the techs this is a shot at ford for leaving the techs holding their D***. These guys are going into this with no clue of what they are about to run up against. If you were to read that blue cruise satisfaction program paper and you are someone who has done these updates you would laugh for hours at how they make this sound. They make it sound like these updates just roll on in. No issue no problems just press, click and blue cruise .

I typed this last night and I was pretty steamed. Im not as steamed this morning and I waited to post it since I was upset. I read it this morning and it still has some things I think people need to understand about the updates. I also again want to emphasize I am not trying to take shots at the dealers or their staff. I know they are the low hanging fruit we all love to hate but if any of us had a job and dint get the proper training I think we all would find it hard to learn as we go. Eventually we would get it but these techs are trying to make money and feed their families. SO taking 3-4 days tinkering with this stuff would break any person.

Ford just needs to get a team together that focuses on this. THey have a Ford GT team. I mean they made dealers go through a process for servicing that car and it was about 500 units. Now why wouldnt you have a team for something that is in the highest selling vehicle in America. THe F150, the Bronco and the Mach E all share this and its in the 21 edge to an extent and 22 Super Duty. It will be spreading out to all. The 22 Navigator has this now along with Active Glide(BC for Lincoln).

I hope Ford understands guys like me arent trying to destroy Ford we are helping them. Yet they attack me. They go after me. They have banned me from FDRS for months at a time. They have closed accounts of mine. THey have made me an enemy. I dont understand. Had I not done everything I have I wouldnot be able to help those I have.
Standing ovation for this post!!!

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired

Bravo man! I'm going to print this out and hand it to my tech. Maybe he'll feel better. Let him pass it to the GM of the dealer. Maybe he'll understand.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Just some info regarding Nav...
I've been an electronic tech for decades. One thing at our corporation we have determined that engineers and techs cannot talk turkey. Engineers design and invent things, but us techs have to fix their eff ups and prove them wrong many times before it gets fixed. Not poking all engineers because I was lucky to work side by side with a great one. Others, not so much.

Not to go off the edge, but a note on maps.
Ford has not updated their maps in decades. Despite they roll out allegedly new maps, I have proved many times that their maps are still outdated. Even as far back as 2014 that I can recollect.

They have told me that the main company that does their maps is 'We Go Here'... Well, beg to differ. We Go Here higher ups admitted they have not had a contract with Ford and nor have sent them maps in several years. This coincides with my timeline and I concur.
After getting Ford to admit where they really come from, the company called ALOM, supposedly handles them. Still no updates. (I'll be contacted them soon to confirm).
There are roads that are over 30 years old that are not updated. There is a road I frequent every day here and its been here for over 5 years. Still not updated. Truck thinks I'm going off roading every time I'm on it.

Sooooo, Ford said they will update Nav annually, quarterly and on roads you travel. No, they are sending you maps that are not updated.

While some of you resist Ford Nav and rather use Carplay via Google, Apple, maps, etc. You are safe. I'm just not a fan and would rather the Nav maps be correct. I stopped using external gps tech years ago.

The roads have been updated on all devices I can find. Just not us. (Bottom line, Ford is screwing us. They want $600 for a Nav subscription and same for the BC. Total $1200? Yeesh.
BC needs to have correct maps but Nav does not need BC. Personally, If I am going to have to pay for onboard maps, they better be correct.

I can give you a great example of a company that cares/cared. Garmin, before it was taken over, (not sure who runs them today), had their own Cartologists, (map makers). You could call them direct, explain your issue and a new map would be corrected and sent to you almost immediately, then later, mass distributed.

So what say you Ford?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Just some info regarding Nav...
I've been an electronic tech for decades. One thing at our corporation we have determined that engineers and techs cannot talk turkey. Engineers design and invent things, but us techs have to fix their eff ups and prove them wrong many times before it gets fixed. Not poking all engineers because I was lucky to work side by side with a great one. Others, not so much.

Not to go off the edge, but a note on maps.
Ford has not updated their maps in decades. Despite they roll out allegedly new maps, I have proved many times that their maps are still outdated. Even as far back as 2014 that I can recollect.

They have told me that the main company that does their maps is 'We Go Here'... Well, beg to differ. We Go Here higher ups admitted they have not had a contract with Ford and nor have sent them maps in several years. This coincides with my timeline and I concur.
After getting Ford to admit where they really come from, the company called ALOM, supposedly handles them. Still no updates. (I'll be contacted them soon to confirm).
There are roads that are over 30 years old that are not updated. There is a road I frequent every day here and its been here for over 5 years. Still not updated. Truck thinks I'm going off roading every time I'm on it.

Sooooo, Ford said they will update Nav annually, quarterly and on roads you travel. No, they are sending you maps that are not updated.

While some of you resist Ford Nav and rather use Carplay via Google, Apple, maps, etc. You are safe. I'm just not a fan and would rather the Nav maps be correct. I stopped using external gps tech years ago.

The roads have been updated on all devices I can find. Just not us. (Bottom line, Ford is screwing us. They want $600 for a Nav subscription and same for the BC. Total $1200? Yeesh.
BC needs to have correct maps but Nav does not need BC. Personally, If I am going to have to pay for onboard maps, they better be correct.

I can give you a great example of a company that cares/cared. Garmin, before it was taken over, (not sure who runs them today), had their own Cartologists, (map makers). You could call them direct, explain your issue and a new map would be corrected and sent to you almost immediately, then later, mass distributed.

So what say you Ford?
Once again - a company with competing forces inside and all trying to be profitable. If they would decide they were going to sell a thing - say the automobile - that all departments support together for a single purpose - they could deliver value and be profitable.

Tesla updates maps about once a year and guess what - even delivers it over the air automatically without you having to interact or pay hundreds. It is a concept. Will see if Farley can get this one figured out too.

Ford F-150 Lightning Bluecruise OTA Status? teslainfo

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Lead Training Manager, Design
I received 2.4.5 Sunday and Sync is now Version: 22028 REV: 358.

Sponsored

Infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Any non-EAP guys gone into 2.4.x and beyond OTA? Asking for a friend.
Not here - called today and got an appointment in the morning for dealer to do the update manually. Needed to take it in for the brake controller recall so figured I'd leave it for the day and let them do the software update for bluecruise while they had it.

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
I think it is a little unfair to over generalize dealerships service departments. I have been to some crooked ones and some good ones. It all depends on who is managing them.
That said my truck has been in service for a week so far trying to get everything updated and working as advertised. It is taking some time but I am sure they are trying to figure it out. It is all new after all.

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
I received 2.4.5 tonight (while driving) after receiving 2.4.4 last night. I know it's wishful thinking, but hopefully... maybe... this means OTA's are moving faster now.
Sorry they are not same sloppy slow mess. Slow and no pattern just wait.

ZuToo

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 Mach-e Premium
OP
OP

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Received notification via FordPass app that my 2.5.1 update is scheduled to install tonite. 2.4.3 was 16 days ago; 2.4.5 was 3-4 days ago.
Sponsored