• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bluetooth stuttering issue (Sync 4, 12" screen)

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e phone and have used this exact phone to connect to many different cars since I have had it with no big issues. I use Spotify with all music downloaded locally on the phone. With the Lightning, particularly when I start the truck up and for several minutes afterwards, the music stutters. After a few minutes, it will generally clear up, but still occasionally stutter. I almost acts like the headunit is so underpowered that it sacrifices music playing in order to do other things. Extremely annoying and continues my disappointment in this vehicle. I already know the dealer and Ford will blame my phone to escape any responsibility. Anyone else experienced this issue?
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
My Sync 4 does something similar. Almost like an electrical short/static sounds from CarPlay when I am doing anything else and like you said like it ran out of ram or processor

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Try turning WiFi off on your phone.

I'm assuming you are connecting wirelessly, try using the cable connection. I found android auto didn't work well wirelessly so I always plug in.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Try turning WiFi off on your phone.

I'm assuming you are connecting wirelessly, try using the cable connection. I found android auto didn't work well wirelessly so I always plug in.
I am not using AA; just the Bluetooth connection. Wifi on my phone is turned off when making a Bluetooth connection. Again, never had this problem with any other car I've driven since owning this phone (over 4 years now).

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm also a S10e user, but don't use spotify, so not much feed back for the music app.

I'll agree with others that our phones do perform better when plugged in vs. the projection SID via wifi, though you may not actively look at the android auto screens it's probably still running in the background, operates smoother. I also notice that me phones other data intensive apps work better while plugged in, I think the problem is the data stream via cell runs more reliably when it doesn't need to manage the wifi channel for projection communications.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm also a S10e user, but don't use spotify, so not much feed back for the music app.

I'll agree with others that our phones do perform better when plugged in vs. the projection SID via wifi, though you may not actively look at the android auto screens it's probably still running in the background, operates smoother. I also notice that me phones other data intensive apps work better while plugged in, I think the problem is the data stream via cell runs more reliably when it doesn't need to manage the wifi channel for projection communications.
I appreciate the response, but Spotify on my phone is setup with all music in my playlists downloaded in full; there's no need for a cell connection whatsoever. I live in a semi-rural area and so cell coverage is spotty when out on the road. This is why I have downloaded the music to the phone. Additionally, I do not always want to be charging my phone, which is why I never plug it in. Bluetooth should just work as it has in the many other vehicles I have used this phone in. I will add it to the growing list of complaints I have with this truck to my dealer, but I am not expecting any relief. The issue is in the head unit and its software/hardware, not my phone. After 2 years of waiting for this vehicle only to have such a letdown is a true shame. I gave Ford another chance after 25 years and nothing has changed.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Do you experience something similar with phone calls?

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do you experience something similar with phone calls?
I haven't tried that yet. Since it appears to be a bluetooth issue, I would expect the audio to be stutter as well. I will see if I can test this scenario.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it does it with the phone, welcome to the club :). That part of it is definitely a SYNC issue that many of us have experienced. If you do a search, you'll find several threads related to it in this forum. It effects not only Android but Apple as well. To "fix it" you have to use the display on your phone to put it on speaker and then back to bluetooth and the audio is fine....until it happens again. Happens on both incoming and outgoing calls and it's intermittent. It's a pain in the rear, but should be resolved with an OTA update. Ford just hasn't got around to it yet.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If it does it with the phone, welcome to the club :). That part of it is definitely a SYNC issue that many of us have experienced. If you do a search, you'll find several threads related to it in this forum. It effects not only Android but Apple as well. To "fix it" you have to use the display on your phone to put it on speaker and then back to bluetooth and the audio is fine....until it happens again. Happens on both incoming and outgoing calls and it's intermittent. It's a pain in the rear, but should be resolved with an OTA update. Ford just hasn't got around to it yet.
I assume Ford has not acknowledged anything with respect to audio issues on Sync 4 and Bluetooth?

Also, does this issue affect Sync 4a (15" screen) trucks?

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assume Ford has not acknowledged anything with respect to audio issues on Sync 4 and Bluetooth?

Also, does this issue affect Sync 4a (15" screen) trucks?
If they have acknowledged it, I haven't seen it. The @Ford Motor Company account on here will encourage you set up an appointment with your dealer, don't waste your time. I brought it up to my dealer when I was having the rear lightbar repaired, and was able to show them the issue in real time, and they had no idea how to resolve it. Told me a SYNC software update was the likely resolution. I can't say whether it effects the 15" screen, but you can probably search the forum to confirm. While it is frustrating, I wouldn't trade my truck for anything. In fact, today is my 1 year anniversary with it and 29,549 miles later I still love it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Use the Report function on Sync to give the Ford team a run down of your precise issues and suspicions, free form voicemail upload with systems diags are sent to them.

Don't know if they acknowledge individual reports, but more samples could contribute to a solution and future OTA to improve performance.

BTW, as said before and didn't know much about the app and that it stores the music files on the phone, your position that it's the BT communication to the head unit in the truck might be on point, if it is, why not test a wired connection to see its impact on the head unit? It could improve processing of the incoming music files .... or not.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Where do you keep your phone? My wife's car doesn't like it when my phone is in my left pocket while I'm in the driver's seat.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've tried it in the center console, in my shirt pocket, in the little cubby right below the screen, in the passenger seat. Doesn't matter. Stuttering happens every time.

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
My Android cuts out and stutters all the time, occasionally the screen reboots. Does it both on AA and just normal bluetooth. I lose the ability to hear people though they can still hear me ok. Transfering the call back to my phone speaker and then back to the car usually works. But it does involve me messing with my phone while driving to get bluetooth working again. I'd say it happens at least 3 times a week
Sponsored