• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cabin Departure time heated steering wheel glitch

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
@Ford Motor Company I’ve noticed for weeks now when I leave for work and my truck is conditioning the cabin to “warm” that after I unplug and leave, that my heated steering wheel no longer works. Even during the conditioning process, it doesn’t heat the steering wheel. At the end of the day, I commute home and do not have a departure time and my heated steering wheel works just fine. The issue/glitch seems to only happen when using departure feature. You can toggle it on and off and the wheel will still not heat.
Sponsored

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
If I turn it on without cabin conditioning, it will run for about 10-15 minutes then stops working. I'm thinking this is a built-in mechanism that's there to conserve energy or something....

When we pre condition, we have already used up the 10-15 minutes, thus it won't work for a while...maybe I'm way off on this, but I think this is what is happening

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If I turn it on without cabin conditioning, it will run for about 10-15 minutes then stops working. I'm thinking this is a built-in mechanism that's there to conserve energy or something....

When we pre condition, we have already used up the 10-15 minutes, thus it won't work for a while...maybe I'm way off on this, but I think this is what is happening
I see similar behavior. I don't think it is energy savings though, the wheel pulls less than the seats and they have no issues staying on. I wonder if Ford is worries about melting the padding on the wheel???

iokua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER / 2002 F350
I just noticed this also this morning as it was the second time it happened. Thanks for starting this thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arborist
I just noticed this also this morning as it was the second time it happened. Thanks for starting this thread.
You’re welcome! This has happened since day one of cold here in Ohio (October). I at first thought my steering wheel wasn’t working because I used to be able to charge at work and use a departure time. I now have narrowed it down to only on departure time at my home. I’m certain it’s a glitch.

OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arborist
I see similar behavior. I don't think it is energy savings though, the wheel pulls less than the seats and they have no issues staying on. I wonder if Ford is worries about melting the padding on the wheel???
I disagree on what I’m experiencing. The wheel works perfect when I don’t set a cabin departure preconditioning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I disagree on what I’m experiencing. The wheel works perfect when I don’t set a cabin departure preconditioning.
Interesting. I only get strong heat for ~10 minutes and then it tapers down to basically nothing (maybe off - hard to tell).

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
They replied to me in another thread about this asking for my VIN. I don't think this is something that is vehicle specific, so I didn't respond. It appears to affect everyone.

OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arborist
Interesting. I only get strong heat for ~10 minutes and then it tapers down to basically nothing (maybe off - hard to tell).
I’m commute over an hour and in the morning i have zero heat from the wheel, but on my way home I have heat all the way home.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’m commute over an hour and in the morning i have zero heat from the wheel, but on my way home I have heat all the way home.
Huh.

OK - new theory. The onboard computer sets a randomized number when it is first activated and that determines when and how long your heated steering wheel will work!:LOL:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I stopped preconditioning in the morning because of the wheel not getting heated. I just remote start it 10 minutes before I leave instead. I'd rather be comfortable then save a few kWh.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
@Ford Motor Company I’ve noticed for weeks now when I leave for work and my truck is conditioning the cabin to “warm” that after I unplug and leave, that my heated steering wheel no longer works. Even during the conditioning process, it doesn’t heat the steering wheel. At the end of the day, I commute home and do not have a departure time and my heated steering wheel works just fine. The issue/glitch seems to only happen when using departure feature. You can toggle it on and off and the wheel will still not heat.
Hello, Joe! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Lol….. sigh…

Last edited:

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
I stopped preconditioning in the morning because of the wheel not getting heated. I just remote start it 10 minutes before I leave instead. I'd rather be comfortable then save a few kWh.
Does your remote start use the grid, battery, or both? When I remote start with the truck plugged in, I'm consistently losing 2-3% from my target charge level.
Sponsored