• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated steering wheel not working

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
As the weather has turned colder here in Ohio, I have turned on my heated steering wheel. Unfortunately it’s now not working. I remember it working when would accidentally hitting it in the last months. Anyone having this issue? I have the lariat ER.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
As the weather has turned colder here in Ohio, I have turned on my heated steering wheel. Unfortunately it’s now not working. I remember it working when would accidentally hitting it in the last months. Anyone having this issue? I have the lariat ER.
Hey! Can you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like look into your steering wheel concerns on my end.

OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Hey! Can you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like look into your steering wheel concerns on my end.
I will send you my information. Thanks!

MCWIEME

First Name
Mark Wieme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I noticed the same thing this morning with my F150 Lightning Lariat Er.

Quarter2heavy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Any updates on this? Mine stopped working, took delivery Nov 2

Lariat ER

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are you all preconditioning in the morning? Mine does't work if I precondition, but works otherwise.

Also - it only stays warm for about 10 minutes before it tapers down so far you can't even tell it is on.

MCWIEME

First Name
Mark Wieme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Ford wasn’t much help when they called me yesterday. The representative only suggested I take it to a dealer. I don’t want to leave it at a dealer because the truck is so new and no one is trained on it yet. In my opinion it’s a software issue and hopefully Ford will come up with an OTA fix.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Are you all preconditioning in the morning? Mine does't work if I precondition, but works otherwise.

Also - it only stays warm for about 10 minutes before it tapers down so far you can't even tell it is on.
Mine doesn’t work if I precondition, definitely a software bug. Won’t turn on again unless I turn the entire truck off.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Mine doesn’t work if I precondition, definitely a software bug. Won’t turn on again unless I turn the entire truck off.
Yup - I get the same.

I also discovered this morning that if you are not plugged in not only will the truck not precondition, it won't heat the cabin either. Didn't expect that.

At least the heated steering wheel worked for a bit...

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Yup - I get the same.

I also discovered this morning that if you are not plugged in not only will the truck not precondition, it won't heat the cabin either. Didn't expect that.

At least the heated steering wheel worked for a bit...
I think there’s a setting for that in FordPass, go to departure times.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think there’s a setting for that in FordPass, go to departure times.
Yeah - I had that set. Works fine while plugged in, but did nothing this morning. I will play around some more, but easy enough to keep it plugged in in colder weather. Probably better for the battery anyways.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Mine isn't working with preconditions either. It works if I use it at other times.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Interestingly, my truck did a successful pre-conditioning event per the departure schedule this morning while UNPLUGGED, cabin, seats and steering wheel all warmed up. Consuming about 1% of SOC.

Lately my steering wheel does not warm up when plugged into FCSP following preconditioning schedule, I'll be curious to know if it's better Wednesday morning after I did a restart of the FCSP Monday afternoon.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Strange thing happened to me.

Never use heated steering wheels in the past 20+ years so I decided to test it out yesterday morning during our first real rain.

Very quickly heated up - the top portion heats the most, bottom section almost none, and the sides were moderately warm.

Felt very weird to use heated steering wheel - felt like driving in the sun 350 days out of the year where I am located = the sun normally heats up the steering wheel.

Had to turn if off after 5 mins as it was weird to drive with a warm steering wheel and no sunlight.

Last edited:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Can we get the steering wheel warmer? My volvos have three levels of heat. The highest is good for a short time, but then you need to turn it down or put on a pair of gloves 😁. I would rather have a hot steering wheel with it on and cycle it than have it just warm enough to maybe not need to wear gloves (or give us multi-level heat...like be the seat). The problem with gloves is the screen controls...Volvo does a better job with that too (screen works satisfactorily with gloves on). As weak as the heat is, it is still better than nothing.
Sponsored