• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated steering wheel loss of range

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
I just had my heated steering wheel installed through the Ford customer service satisfaction program by the dealer. I’ve noticed a few things and wanted to check with others about their experience:

1) before the heated steering wheel I averaged around 2.4 - 2.5kwh. Since the install and when I run the heated steering wheel I average around 1.7 - 1.9kW.

I get that it’s colder and that should explain some range loss but my truck is garaged and when I turn off the heated steering wheel my kWh goes up to the normal 2.4-2.5 range. I just find it odd and strange so does anyone have similar issues?

2) the steering wheel gets nice and warm but then cools down and does not stay hot. I mean it does stay warmer than if you just had the thing off but the heat doesn’t seem to last too long.

if anyone has similar issues I would love to hear from you and if anyone has any suggestions for this I would love to hear that as well. Thanks.
Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
2) the steering wheel gets nice and warm but then cools down and does not stay hot. I mean it does stay warmer than if you just had the thing off but the heat doesn’t seem to last too long.

if anyone has similar issues I would love to hear from you and if anyone has any suggestions for this I would love to hear that as well. Thanks.
I have a new XLT ER that came from the factory with a heated steering wheel and it behaves this exact same way as yours. I complained about it earlier in this thread and it seemed that most people there claimed theirs stayed warm. There may be some hope changing values via Forscan, but I think this is a deeper programming flaw with the heated steering wheel. Whoever thought the wheel should cool down after it reaches temperature should be fired. And the same goes with everyone else that signed off on that design.

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
Mine doesn't stay warm consistently either. I'm not sure about range, that isn't something i've test.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It's not a satisfying answer, but the two can't be related. Your truck is burning a lot more energy to get down the road than it used to, and that's almost always related to driving conditions. The heated wheel can't draw more than 100w. That's 0.1 kW, or 0.02% of your drive motor's peak consumption. Mine will pull about 30 kW going down the interstate at a steady speed, and 100w would only be 0.3% more.

In comparison, I've seen the coolant heater draw as much as 11 kW to warm cabin, battery, and other sundry bits. If that update caused any of the HV components to draw more than they should, the system would overheat and/or the truck would accelerate uncontrollably. The drive motors draw as much power as your right foot commands.

ON edit: I also think the heated wheel is underwhelming. It's a deciding factor for me because of circulation/neurological issues in my hands, and I can't own a vehicle without one. I know it's working because the rental Powerboost truck they gave me didn't have one, and the wheel was noticeably cooler at all times. I think it's good enough to keep the wheel lukewarm, but not much above that. I wish it was better, but it's at least adequate for what I need.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I just had my heated steering wheel installed through the Ford customer service satisfaction program by the dealer. I’ve noticed a few things and wanted to check with others about their experience:

1) before the heated steering wheel I averaged around 2.4 - 2.5kwh. Since the install and when I run the heated steering wheel I average around 1.7 - 1.9kW.

I get that it’s colder and that should explain some range loss but my truck is garaged and when I turn off the heated steering wheel my kWh goes up to the normal 2.4-2.5 range. I just find it odd and strange so does anyone have similar issues?

I had the heated steering wheel added by Ford as well. I haven't seen a drop in range but I've definitely noticed that it doesn't maintain the warm temperature. I don't know why that would be and it seems odd. If anyone can determine that this is a defect I'd like to know.

Sponsored

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
While I do not yet have my heated steering wheel installed in my Lightning, this behavior sounds exactly the same as it is in my Mustang Mach-E. I am actually good with it like this. It does warm up and get quite hot at first, but then I find that it eventually stays hot longer than I like to the point that my palms get a bit sweaty and it eventually kicks off or eases off the heat, but never allows the steering wheel to get cold. I do like it like this, but I guess to each their own.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Odd, I’ve never experienced it. I always use the steering wheel in the cold.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It would be awesome if we had an adjustment in settings for:

Time on (minutes to off or unlimited )
&
Heat Intensity (low, medium & high or a numbered range 1-10)

My 2022 Lariat has a very warm wheel and always stays on once commanded on or when the remote start & departure timer automatically turn it on in cold weather, make sure your remote start settings for temperatures are set to AUTO

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
It would be awesome if we had an adjustment in settings for:

Time on (minutes to off or unlimited )
&
Heat Intensity (low, medium & high or a numbered range 1-10)

My 2022 Lariat has a very warm wheel and always stays on once commanded on or when the remote start & departure timer automatically turn it on in cold weather, make sure your remote start settings for temperatures are set to AUTO
There are forscan settings for this, although mine are set to max heating and to never shut off and I think it still gets cooler after a little while (although I'm not sure as I don't have a button to turn mine on or off, it just comes on automatically)

Flash

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
Occupation
EE
There are forscan settings for this, although mine are set to max heating and to never shut off and I think it still gets cooler after a little while (although I'm not sure as I don't have a button to turn mine on or off, it just comes on automatically)
"The forscan address is: 724-06-01 *xxx xxxx --

0 =HSWLTSP 24°C8 =HSWLTSP 32°C
1 =HSWLTSP 25°C9 =HSWLTSP 33°C
2 =HSWLTSP 26°CA =HSWLTSP 34°C
3 =HSWLTSP 27°CB =HSWLTSP 35°C
4 =HSWLTSP 28°CC =HSWLTSP 36°C
5 =HSWLTSP 29°CD =HSWLTSP 37°C
6 =HSWLTSP 30°CE =HSWLTSP 38°C
7 =HSWLTSP 31°CF =HSWLTSP 39°C

I think mine was set to A and I changed it to F. It gets pretty toasty when it's running"

Here's the forscan address to change the temperature that you shared last time, do you know where to find the option to disable the auto shut off feature?

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Here's the forscan address to change the temperature that you shared last time, do you know where to find the option to disable the auto shut off feature?
724-06-01x*xxxxxx

0 =HSWASOT Off (No AutoShutOff)4 =HSWASOT 30 min
1 =HSWASOT 10 min5 =HSWASOT 40 min
2 =HSWASOT 15 min6 =HSWASOT 50 min
3 =HSWASOT 20 min7 =HSWASOT 60 min

This is what I used, just switched it to 0.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
no issues with mine. could this be related to why they temporarily stopped retrofitting heated wheels to 2023?

bigtundra

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The heated grips on my motorcycle has 5 settings would be nice on the truck to have the same. I just got my heated wheel installed I thought it stayed warm quite a while after I turned it off. Only used it once though

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I find it hard to believe that a reduction in range is from a 60w heated steering wheel from a truck that can power an entire house for 3 days.

more likely something else is the culprit.
Also temp (voltage) for the heated steering wheel can be changed in Forscan

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
While I’ve wondered about the heated steering wheel’s contribution (and the heated seat set at 1-bar) to energy use it’s likely not measurable.. same as the hard rollup tonneau cover’s aero improvement. Those two probably cancel each other out 😂. I still want to
know where that ghost accessory use comes from. I suspect windshield wiper motor pulls serious energy, but.. no proof.
Sponsored