• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated steering wheel not working

Quarter2heavy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine doesn’t work if I precondition, definitely a software bug. Won’t turn on again unless I turn the entire truck off.
My won't work for a couple hours after. When I first noticed it was something to do with precondition while plugged in, I tired restarting 4 times one morning, two in the cab, one remote, and did a schedule, non of which would get the steering wheel to work. I tried while on break at work, to find it working then.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Can we get the steering wheel warmer? My volvos have three levels of heat. The highest is good for a short time, but then you need to turn it down or put on a pair of gloves 😁. I would rather have a hot steering wheel with it on and cycle it than have it just warm enough to maybe not need to wear gloves (or give us multi-level heat...like be the seat). The problem with gloves is the screen controls...Volvo does a better job with that too (screen works satisfactorily with gloves on). As weak as the heat is, it is still better than nothing.
I agree. Shame on the folks who complain about Volvo’s Sensus screen. Though, I wonder if part of the issue is that Ford is trying to balance accessory use against adverse impact on range by tempering the heated steering wheel to give us just enough.

tkittlitz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14Ram1500ED, 20FordEscapeHybrid, 22LightningOrder
I'm having same problem. My heated steering wheel doesn't work most of the time.

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 22 F-150 Lightning Lariet

Grencola

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning xlt 312A standard range
Occupation
Tile Setter
following this as mine too has issues. has never heated if I precondition first even though the light is always on. seats always work. tried turning truck off, locking doors, and walking away til everything is completely black then going back and starting it again but still doesn't heat up. could be the few hour wait needed after preconditioning as mentioned above. I'll test it again in a couple more hours.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
following this as mine too has issues. has never heated if I precondition first even though the light is always on. seats always work. tried turning truck off, locking doors, and walking away til everything is completely black then going back and starting it again but still doesn't heat up. could be the few hour wait needed after preconditioning as mentioned above. I'll test it again in a couple more hours.

If you use remote start, does the steering wheel heat up?
For most of us, this usually works, and the plugged in pre-conditioning does not.
We're waiting on an update that addresses this well reported problem ..... still......

OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Exact same thing as my issue.

Grencola

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning xlt 312A standard range
Occupation
Tile Setter
ok so yeah remote starting heats the wheel still and I also tried it about 3 hours after shutting down from it not working all drive and it worked again, so there's that..

but here's a neat little trick I figured out that worked two days in a row now:

so I opened the garage at my normal morning departure time but it snowed overnight so I shovelled the driveway for bout 20mins, then noticed truck shut itself off (assuming it thought I wasn't really going for a drive), so I unplugged and hopped in and everything was obviously still super warm, started it up and the heated wheel worked! so last night I changed my departure time for 20 mins earlier than I actually leave, and this morning the truck was off again, which couldn't have been for more than a few mins cuz the cabin was nice and hot, unplugged and turned it on and the heated steering wheel worked once again! so not sure how long exactly it keeps heating the cab for after the departure time until it turns off, 15 mins is my guess, but could be a quick fix to have a conditioned truck from house power and an actual working heated wheel on your drive til they hopefully fix the bug with an update :)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
ok so yeah remote starting heats the wheel still and I also tried it about 3 hours after shutting down from it not working all drive and it worked again, so there's that..

but here's a neat little trick I figured out that worked two days in a row now:

so I opened the garage at my normal morning departure time but it snowed overnight so I shovelled the driveway for bout 20mins, then noticed truck shut itself off (assuming it thought I wasn't really going for a drive), so I unplugged and hopped in and everything was obviously still super warm, started it up and the heated wheel worked! so last night I changed my departure time for 20 mins earlier than I actually leave, and this morning the truck was off again, which couldn't have been for more than a few mins cuz the cabin was nice and hot, unplugged and turned it on and the heated steering wheel worked once again! so not sure how long exactly it keeps heating the cab for after the departure time until it turns off, 15 mins is my guess, but could be a quick fix to have a conditioned truck from house power and an actual working heated wheel on your drive til they hopefully fix the bug with an update :)
Yes, enough sleep time afterward allowed it to work normally from a regular startup from lukewarm status, I'm going to pad my pre-conditioning time by 15 minutes and see if that's enough of a margin, might need to go longer as you suspect.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, enough sleep time afterward allowed it to work normally from a regular startup from lukewarm status, I'm going to pad my pre-conditioning time by 15 minutes and see if that's enough of a margin, might need to go longer as you suspect.

Well, 15 minutes was not enough time, when I went out to the truck it was still "idling" ie. the cabin blower motor was still operating and the truck was still drawing a modest amount of current, and the steering wheel was cabin temp not majorly warm

Preconditioning kicked off at 7:30 and ready to drive at 8:00 am, but it "idled" until I unplugged the truck at 8:15 am

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671636327595
Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671636286252

I'll increase the margin to 20 minutes Thursday morning and 25 minutes Friday, 30 minutes on Saturday to see what happens, might be depending on the 30 minute idle timer to shut down the truck in this scenario.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
20 minutes might be the sweet spot, the truck stopped pre-conditioning at that point.
After starting the truck normally it only took a couple minutes for the steering wheel to come up to temp, which is an improvement.

This mornings charging session ran 71 minutes to take on ~20.7 kWh of energy from the FCSP.
Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671720088263

The station paused, until 7:26 am running until 7:55 for battery & cabin conditioning.
Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671720320328

Then Idled 7:55 to 8:10,
8:11 and afterward the truck stopped taking current and the blower was off at 8:15
Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671720477182

23.9 kWh consumed for yesterdays 28 miles of driving plus this mornings preconditioning and cabin warming, 1.17 MPK overall for the drive cycle, if I leave out preconditioning it's 1.4 MPK which includes losses and 3 events of standalone (on battery) cabin warming.
Ford F-150 Lightning Heated steering wheel not working 1671720685247

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrdelong1043

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
20 minutes might be the sweet spot, the truck stopped pre-conditioning at that point.
After starting the truck normally it only took a couple minutes for the steering wheel to come up to temp, which is an improvement.

This mornings charging session ran 71 minutes to take on ~20.7 kWh of energy from the FCSP.
1671720088263.png

The station paused, until 7:26 am running until 7:55 for battery & cabin conditioning.
1671720320328.png

Then Idled 7:55 to 8:10,
8:11 and afterward the truck stopped taking current and the blower was off at 8:15
1671720477182.png

23.9 kWh consumed for yesterdays 28 miles of driving plus this mornings preconditioning and cabin warming, 1.17 MPK overall for the drive cycle, if I leave out preconditioning it's 1.4 MPK which includes losses and 3 events of standalone (on battery) cabin warming.
1671720685247.png
Sponsored