• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated steering wheel loss of range

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I still want to
know where that ghost accessory use comes from. I suspect windshield wiper motor pulls serious energy, but.. no proof.
Just about everything on the 12v buss, lights, control systems, CPU's BCE, PCM, etc.......
Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Just about everything on the 12v buss, lights, control systems, CPU's BCE, PCM, etc.......
Yowie, then that’s some serious juice at 3%-4%!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I find it hard to believe that a reduction in range is from a 60w heated steering wheel from a truck that can power an entire house for 3 days.

more likely something else is the culprit.
Also temp (voltage) for the heated steering wheel can be changed in Forscan
If you drove for 10 hours straight at 30mph getting 3mpk you'd go 300 miles and use 100kWh. If your steering wheel was on the entire time it would use 0.6kWh. That would drop you efficiency from 3.00 mpk to 2.98 mpk. That's a worst case scenario. More likely that the steering wheel drops your efficiency by 0.01 mpk or less. It's not even measurable on the display.

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
What was the difference in temperature on the days of using the heated wheel versus not using it?

From my experience, the drop in efficiency you noted sounds completely normal or expected due to colder weather. I’m in New Jersey and I’ve already seen a 10 to 20% drop just over the last few weeks with the colder weather arriving. Maybe just coincidental that it’s occurring now after the heated wheel.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
What was the difference in temperature on the days of using the heated wheel versus not using it?

From my experience, the drop in efficiency you noted sounds completely normal or expected due to colder weather. I’m in New Jersey and I’ve already seen a 10 to 20% drop just over the last few weeks with the colder weather arriving. Maybe just coincidental that it’s occurring now after the heated wheel.
I also think it might be coincidental as well but I will try to keep a better gauge of it now. Just was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Reactions: MBM

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Never noticed any change in range or m/kWh with my 2012 Leaf due to the heated seat or steering wheel, both came standard.

The heated steering wheel does reach a point where it stops heating even though the button still says it is on, and it cools down a bit. I found that if I toggle the button OFF then back ON, the heat comes back, useful when it is really cold.

The range drops about 5-10 miles on my guess-o-meter if I use the cabin heat, which is pretty much useless on the Leaf - resistance heat blown around but would take forever to really warm the cabin, so I never use it. I just park the Leaf in the direct sun for 5-10 minutes and it gets nice and toasty inside.

My average energy use is in the 4.8mi/kWh range consistently for around town driving, if I go out on the hwy it drops quite a bit.

The range on an 80% charge I see on the guess-o-meter in the Leaf is about 70 miles, but with non-aggressive driving techniques, slow accelerations, coasting with regenerative braking going down hills, cruise-control on on flat stretches, the guessed-at-range on the meter goes up.

Sometimes I drive to the grocery store starting with 52 miles range, travel about 7 miles round trip and come back with 49 miles estimated range. On really short trips, a couple times I came back with more range than I left with - according to the guess-o-meter.

Anyway, it seems strange that the heated steering wheel on the lightning would cause a noticeable drop in estimated range or actual mi/kWh either...it should be negligible according to Watts law, etc.

But maybe it is a software calculation issue and the watts used by the HSWheel are weighted wrong in the calculations? To err is human but to really screw up, you need a computer (wrongly programmed - like NASA's 1999 Mars probe which confused meters with feet).

"In September of 1999, after almost 10 months of travel to Mars, the Mars Climate Orbiter burned and broke into pieces. On a day when NASA engineers were expecting to celebrate, the ground reality turned out to be completely different, all because someone failed to use the right units, i.e., the metric units!"

" NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday. (Sept. 30, 1999)"

Rocket science.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I just had my heated steering wheel installed through the Ford customer service satisfaction program by the dealer. I’ve noticed a few things and wanted to check with others about their experience:

1) before the heated steering wheel I averaged around 2.4 - 2.5kwh. Since the install and when I run the heated steering wheel I average around 1.7 - 1.9kW.

I get that it’s colder and that should explain some range loss but my truck is garaged and when I turn off the heated steering wheel my kWh goes up to the normal 2.4-2.5 range. I just find it odd and strange so does anyone have similar issues?

2) the steering wheel gets nice and warm but then cools down and does not stay hot. I mean it does stay warmer than if you just had the thing off but the heat doesn’t seem to last too long.

if anyone has similar issues I would love to hear from you and if anyone has any suggestions for this I would love to hear that as well. Thanks.
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
724-06-01x*xxxxxx

0 =HSWASOT Off (No AutoShutOff)4 =HSWASOT 30 min
1 =HSWASOT 10 min5 =HSWASOT 40 min
2 =HSWASOT 15 min6 =HSWASOT 50 min
3 =HSWASOT 20 min7 =HSWASOT 60 min

This is what I used, just switched it to 0.
So unfortunately my truck already had zero (never turn off) from the factory. I think this setting affects how long the heated steering wheel is on when you press the button to start it. This isn't the behavior I want to change, but rather stopping it fr cooling off shortly after it has started. Perhaps there's another setting or maybe it isn't adjustable, which would suck.

Edit (11/29/2023): As a follow up to this post, I went ahead and set the steering wheel temperature to maximum (39C) per the Forscan values posted earlier in this thread. My thought process was if I set the temperature maximum higher then the wheel heater would probably cycle more often to try to maintain that temperature and that's what the truck now does. While it does cool off still, it starts heating back up quicker and so the average temperature of the wheel stays higher. While not the solution I wanted, it's the best we can seemingly do until Ford does it right. So for those of you wanting a more consistent higher temperature wheel, give this a try.
Sponsored

Last edited: