• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Cable from Charge Station Pro to Lariat ER

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if there is an option for standard 5 pin J1772 instead of 7 pin CCS?
I have no plans to back feed DC to my home through the EVSE. The DC current wires are added weight and expense. I would prefer a J1772 connector to the truck and not lug extra weight to charge.
If I’ve missed a previous answer to this, my apologies. Please point me in right direction.
Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
You would need a 3rd party charger if I understand your question. I am getting a Chargepoint Home Flex and selling my Ford charger since I don't need the V2H functionality.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I thought you get 2 chargers when you buy the ER Lightning ?

80A CCS/J1772 home backup EVSE for ER + 32A J1772 mobile EV portable cord with ALL Lightnings

Or am I wrong ?
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Cable from Charge Station Pro to Lariat ER Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.02.32 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I thought you get 2 chargers when you buy the ER Lightning ?

80A CCS/J1772 home backup EVSE for ER + 32A J1772 mobile EVSE cord with ALL Lightnings

Or am I wrong ?
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.02.32 PM.png
You’re correct.
Greed on my part. I want 80@ a/c delivery but w/o extra copper wires in cord. I like that I can dial delivery down to 49@ if I want.
I want it all. I want it now. And I wont pay a lot for that muffler.
Just wondering.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
While you’re at it, see if you can get my streaming service to eliminate the channels I don’t watch and lower the price accordingly! 😄

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
You’re correct.
Greed on my part. I want 80@ a/c delivery but w/o extra copper wires in cord. I like that I can dial delivery down to 49@ if I want.
I want it all. I want it now. And I wont pay a lot for that muffler.
Just wondering.
Ford has a charger delete option, but I'm not sure it's limited to fleet orders. Maybe you could take the cash you save and use it for a charger that meets your specs?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Does anyone know if there is an option for standard 5 pin J1772 instead of 7 pin CCS?
I have no plans to back feed DC to my home through the EVSE. The DC current wires are added weight and expense. I would prefer a J1772 connector to the truck and not lug extra weight to charge.
If I’ve missed a previous answer to this, my apologies. Please point me in right direction.
Chargepoint probably has the nicest cords out there. Stay relatively soft in cold temps, hang nice around the device.

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
Is your home currently wired for EVSE? What amp do you plan on charging the Lightning? We will install a 100 amp circuit in addition to our current 50 amp as we currently use a Clipper Creek HCS-D50 dual charger for VW ID. 4 and MME

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I would gladly pay for the OEM Ford 48A J1772 charger and swap with you to give you peace of mind. I’m a nice guy like that.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The DC current wires are added weight and expense. I would prefer a J1772 connector to the truck and not lug extra weight to charge.
This isn't what you are asking, but have you actually handled one of these Charge Station Pro cables? The extra conductors in the cable for backfeeding 40 Amp home backup power are probably smaller than the 80 A conductors feeding the J1772 pins. It shouldn't turn the supplied cable into something like those you experience at DCFCs.

OP
OP

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
This isn't what you are asking, but have you actually handled one of these Charge Station Pro cables? The extra conductors in the cable for backfeeding 40 Amp home backup power are probably smaller than the 80 A conductors feeding the J1772 pins. It shouldn't turn the supplied cable into something like those you experience at DCFCs.
Not what I asked but very relevant to what I’m concerned about. I’ll wait until I get my hands on the Pro.

OP
OP

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I would gladly pay for the OEM Ford 48A J1772 charger and swap with you to give you peace of mind. I’m a nice guy like that.
I’m set up for 48@ evse with 60@ breaker, 2-4awg conductors, 10awg bare ground and a manual disconnect. But I’m greedy and want 80@ charging capacity.
My 150@ service may not support 80@ charging. But the Pro can be dialed down to 48@ charging.
I’m just whining about two extra conductors in the Pro cable that I don’t need. (Currently, npi).

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
$2,195.

A 48amp charger would be ~$650. So for 32amps more, you're paying 3.4x the cost.
And? If you're someone who actually needs 80A (or just wants it), that's how you get it today without the extra pins on the Ford Pro charger. I don't agree with the desire to avoid this, but there aren't exactly a lot of 80A options out there given so few vehicles that can utilize it.

I’m set up for 48@ evse with 60@ breaker, 2-4awg conductors, 10awg bare ground and a manual disconnect. But I’m greedy and want 80@ charging capacity.
My 150@ service may not support 80@ charging. But the Pro can be dialed down to 48@ charging.
I’m just whining about two extra conductors in the Pro cable that I don’t need. (Currently, npi).
Do you actually need 80A? I originally wanted to go 80A when I bought my Model 3, but at the time (early 2020) it seemed like the industry trend was towards lower input chargers, not higher. Older Teslas could utilize more than 48A (72A on triple charger S/X IIRC) but newer ones are 48A just like the 3/Y.

Now with over two years of home charging experience and with BEV trucks becoming a reality I am re-visiting this decision. At around half the efficiency of my 3 I can see potential for a couple days per year where I would not be able to be fully charged by the next morning.

The other factor to consider depending on your local provider is how wide your off peak hours are. Here in NJ, PSE&G RLM off-peak hours are only 10h per weeknight. It would not be possible to fully recharge an extended range Lightning on 48A if you only had 10 hours to do it. If you happen to get home late with a nearly empty battery you might only be 50% charged by morning if you want to use only off-peak power.

When 200 kwh pack trucks start running around 48A is going to be really inadequate. Lightning is IMO right on the edge of what can be done with just 48A.
Sponsored

Last edited: