• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Profile at Tesla Supercharger with NACS adapter

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
2022 Extended Range. I have done 4 Supercharger sessions with Ford provided adapter. All were quite brief (10 to 15 minute sessions)as I did not need to go to 80%, but all were virtually perfect. All 4 of them peaked at ~170kw and after 8 to 10 minutes tapered down to the expected ~150kw rate.

I will note, 2 of the stops were on the same trip, but instead of 1 longer and and slower stop (going up to 80%) I did multiple faster 10 minutes stops on that trip to chop up the drive a bit and get the faster rate.

With Tesla superchargers being so much more prevalent my mindset is going to be as soon as I see the rate drop below 140kw I am going to unplug and work my way toward the next DCFC (likely Supercharger)
Sponsored

Last edited:

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
If you are using only one parking spot and only one Supercharger then all should be good.

The rest is just a design problem for Tesla/Ford/Rivian to figure out.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The best we can do is be diplomatic, reminding them that Musk and Tesla have agreed to open access to the network, we'll do our best to optimize inefficiencies by using parking slots to the right of the array.
Agreed. I’ve charged a lot at Superchargers and no one has paid me any attention. I was at a full site once but was able to pull up to the left end charger sideways so as not to block the adjacent charger. Most every other Supercharger site I’ve used had one or two chargers in use with 6-10 empty.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I’ve gotten a few incredulous looks, but nobody has ever been less than courteous with me at Superchargers. One guy stopped me to ask how well it worked, and a Tesla maintenance tech in Utah asked me how I liked using them.

I can’t imagine having an issue with someone, but if I do, I’d remind them that my charging dollars will be put to work building more Superchargers that will benefit them in the end. More chargers is better for all of us regardless of brand.

I drove Teslas for three years, and would go back to the brand if the situation were right. If someone wants to judge me for that, it’s their problem.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you are using only one parking spot and only one Supercharger then all should be good.

The rest is just a design problem for Tesla/Ford/Rivian to figure out.
The problem is that to Tesla owners, you are using the WRONG parking spot. So they back in to the empty one and then notice you are using that charger.

I had two people comment at one of four locations I've used, a busy one. One immediately understood why and said "that's cool". The other was flipping out a bit, but he was the passenger, and then lit a joint, and then asked "what's a Rivian" and "is your charge port on the left side because it's a US truck?" (this was in Canada).

They are taught to use every other charger, back to the shared 150kW days, so sometimes every other is full and therefore you cannot use any with our vehicles until someone leaves. I've also seen Tesla owners use the pull-through or pull straight in chargers for no reason.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I just got my adapter so I’ve only charged once to test it out. One guy came over right away and just wanted to check out the Lightning. He said if it had been available 3 years ago he would have bought one instead of his Tesla.

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
I should have mentioned it wasn't all bad. Got a few questions on how I like the truck and it's range, charging speed, etc. Mentions of the huge frunk when I got some stuff out from my luggage stored there. The couple of people who made the nasty comments had a bunch of opinionated bumper stickers. Not going to judge every Tesla owner based on sample set of 2, it just made the experience unpleasant. I know a lot of really nice people who own a Tesla. Also used the rightmost charger wherever it was possible to avoid inconvenience to anyone.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Maybe it's because I'm a large guy with resting unhappy face, but I've never had anyone approach me charging while at a Tesla site and maybe once or twice early on at EA.

I honestly don't care to talk with strangers, I usually just want to charge and continue on my way. If someone were to give me trouble about charging at a Tesla site (haven't had an issue across 15+ charges by this point) I'd politely but firmly tell them to pound sand. If the site is full I'll try and get creative to fit someone in, but if there's open spots we have the right to charge there just as much as they do. We're all just living our lives and if I'm not causing them undue issues and they just don't like the sight of an F-150 squeezed in taking up two spots, that's a them problem.

Fortunately, no one has ever bothered me, nor do I bother them.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
As a side note, wouldn't it be nice if we could see information like that on the truck's screen without having to attach aftermarket parts and use aftermarket software?
that would be nice. but for us who don't need to see every little detail, I'd be happy if they would come up with some kind of sun screen so I can actually read what's on the DCFC screen!
Sponsored