• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Comma AI self driver assistant

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
For those who are making these lengthened harnesses...are you getting the connectors from Mouser?

The Q4 harness I got from Comma looks like some of the connector shells were 3D printed....which is interesting.
Yeah, the hardware is essentially a deconstructed phone with additions made. The 3D printed parts were confusing to me too considering the price tag. If it all works, no big deal, those connectors are all hidden.
Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Have been meaning to get my hands back up in the dash and take out the harness to get it out to @Ajzride after messaging him on Discord. Weather hasn't exactly cooperated until today.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
To extend the harness, I'm cutting the wires and adding in longer sections. I did attempt to make a harness from scratch (the shopping list is in the GitHub link), but of the 3 connectors you need only two are available. The 3rd connector requires a minimum order of 300, and it the one that requires a 3D printed housing. It's the half that is inside the IPMA, so it's not really a plug, it's a PCB header.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
The 3rd connector requires a minimum order of 300,
What's the cost for 300 units? Can count me in for an order if it is actually viable/cost effective compared to 3D printing.

Last edited:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Eng
What's the cost for 300 units? Can count me in for an order if it is actually viable/cost effective compared to 3D printing.
Even with that connection you still have to 3D print. Ordering all new connections would allow a clean extended harness with no solder joints.

Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Even with that connection you still have to 3D print. Ordering all new connections would allow a clean extended harness with no solder joints.
Ah I misread your comment.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
There is no risk to cutting and lengthening the comma harness as long as the wiring is done correctly.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
To extend the harness, I'm cutting the wires and adding in longer sections. I did attempt to make a harness from scratch (the shopping list is in the GitHub link), but of the 3 connectors you need only two are available. The 3rd connector requires a minimum order of 300, and it the one that requires a 3D printed housing. It's the half that is inside the IPMA, so it's not really a plug, it's a PCB header.
I recieved my harness from @Ajzride last week. It works great! I highly recommend either asking @Ajzride if he will make you a cable or modifying the harness yourself.

No errors, no issues.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
So, I am a software engineer and pretty good mechanically. Thought I might start paying attention to openpilot and maybe contribute if I can find the time.

So, if I make a custom harness and purchase the comma 3x then I should have a safe working system? So the only thing stopping comma from officially supporting our trucks is getting the harness to production and smoothing out the driving experience?

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
So, I am a software engineer and pretty good mechanically. Thought I might start paying attention to openpilot and maybe contribute if I can find the time.

So, if I make a custom harness and purchase the comma 3x then I should have a safe working system? So the only thing stopping comma from officially supporting our trucks is getting the harness to production and smoothing out the driving experience?
SunnyPilot (a fork of openpilot) works great on our trucks with the modified harness. I have only had mine for a short time but already trust in on highway driving. It works well in city driving too and I usually use the LKA on it, stay hands free, and only worry about controlling the throttle/brake.

It's a great system. I don't have experience with full Bluecruise, but for a $1,250 piece of hardware I'm impressed how well it works and integrates into the vehicle.

The custom harness created by @Ajzride eliminates error messages at startup. With that harness, and the latest Sunnypilot version, it feels like a seamless experience.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Eng
So the only thing stopping comma from officially supporting our trucks is getting the harness to production and smoothing out the driving experience?
comma has to rent/buy/borrow a lightning and do safety testing on limits for how fast the wheel can turn before it’s officially supported.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
SunnyPilot (a fork of openpilot) works great on our trucks with the modified harness. I have only had mine for a short time but already trust in on highway driving. It works well in city driving too and I usually use the LKA on it, stay hands free, and only worry about controlling the throttle/brake.

It's a great system. I don't have experience with full Bluecruise, but for a $1,250 piece of hardware I'm impressed how well it works and integrates into the vehicle.

The custom harness created by @Ajzride eliminates error messages at startup. With that harness, and the latest Sunnypilot version, it feels like a seamless experience.
Awesome feedback! Thanks!!

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
comma has to rent/buy/borrow a lightning and do safety testing on limits for how fast the wheel can turn before it’s officially supported.
Oh, I see. That makes sense.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Aj. I'm in San Diego so if the engineers need a vehicle I can let them use mine. If you have a connection.
Sponsored