• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Comma AI self driver assistant

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
And here I was just thinking to myself if all these driver aids make us worse drivers...

I realized this winter that I don't like lane centering in the cold/snow because once it kicks in it feels like you're loosing traction.
I know several people (sadly) who can't back up without cameras or who change lanes blindly because their bsms didn't warn them.

Technology is great when used properly, but I'm not a fan of it replacing "common sense".

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
I mostly agree. However I drive 100+ miles a day and the added convenience is worth it for me.

I drove a 85 toyota 4x4 for 10 years before I got a chevy then the Lightning. I put my time in with tactile and engaged driving. I welcome driving aids that improve my life.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Im thinking of getting the 3x Comma AI system to replace Bluecruise. After lifting/ leveling the front Blue cruise sucks!.

Anyone here try Comma AI on thier lightning?

There is a guy who added the system to his 22+ f150 and downloaded sunnypilot. He has a few videos on YouTube as well. Seems as if it puts BC to shame!.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/openpilot-on-the-f-150-bluecruise-alternative.19342/

This would be awesome! Wonder if it would work on the Pro, but I doubt it.

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachEauto awd ER XLT Lightning ER
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
After the Lift/level did you have the lane keeping system recalibrated? The front camera has to be aimed and the ride height entered.

Sponsored

hiimisaac

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat (510A)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Oh! I do! I do quite a bit of dev work for the ford platform in my spare time!

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
After lifting/ leveling the front Blue cruise sucks!.
What are you experiencing? I read a lot of posts and comments about front leveling and virtually all of them said there was no noticable impact on Blue Cruise, or any other ADAS.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
After the Lift/level did you have the lane keeping system recalibrated? The front camera has to be aimed and the ride height entered.
I did not
I was thinking about it. Good tip.

I'm a nerd at heart. I'm leaning into the COMMA Ai unit

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
What are you experiencing? I read a lot of posts and comments about front leveling and virtually all of them said there was no noticable impact on Blue Cruise, or any other ADAS.
My truck ping pongs quite a bit now. I know it has to do with the camera aiming.

When I go up hill it seems to drive fine. I'm sure it's because the camera can see the road Lines at that angle. Going down hill or flat road it's bad.

Sponsored

hiimisaac

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat (510A)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Awesome ! Do you have one running on your truck?
I do.
There’s a small issue right now where the truck throws some faults if we’re not using the proper cable. Working through it but no ETA.
But I have 7000 miles with one in my truck.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm interested in this, has there been anyone do this yet with the Lightning.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
I'm interested in this, has there been anyone do this yet with the Lightning.
Yes. Hiimissac has it. I'm about to in the next few weeks.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes. Hiimissac has it. I'm about to in the next few weeks.
Awesome, have you considered yet where to place the unit? I followed the project a lot before I got my Lightning. I have an XLT w/out BC and I added ACC and LKA+LC and honestly I've been pretty happy with the lane centering on the highway coupled with a false steering wheel torque signal spoofed onto the FD-CAN bus so I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel.

I don't think I'd want Comma up at the top in my Lightning. I think I'd like it better nested into the tray above the APIM, but I'd have to come up with an elegant mount/platform for it.

I'm a bit leery of how had it will be for me to disable the driver monitor part of Comma. I'm not really a python programmer and I'd need a bit of help likely. If I can't let my eyes wonder or use my phone at the top of my steering wheel then I don't want it at all. I can't believe how bent out of shape GHotz gets over that crap. I mean I understand his theater and general directives to appease NHTSA, but as a hacker and entrepreneur I expect people to use common sense and limit/control their own trust at their own discretion of any level of self driving tech. I guess all the FSD beta tesla accidents prove that normal people can't be trusted in this manner :(.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Just got the comma 3x running in my truck. I'm having some start up faults while the comma 3x is booting. The lighting throws steering, related sensor codes. Then after it comes on line within 20 seconds it all goes away.

First impression is that this is powerfull tech. I need time to get used to it's abilities but it's working. Way more stable on freeway and it works on side roads. I'm not comfortable with it driving me fully on side streets with stop lights quite yet.

Looking for solutions to get the warnings to go away. I was told the lighting has lots of electrical interference. I may try adding a ferrite core around the usb cable to reduce the interference.
Ford F-150 Lightning Comma AI self driver assistant 1000006057
Sponsored