• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck light towing range test - 115 miles !

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Pretty bad numbers for CyberTruck towing an easy load (Model Y) at low-ish speeds. 115 miles from 100-0%. Or a real world 80 Miles going from 80-10%!!!! Way worse than Lightning in a similar test which gave more than 180miles towing a Model 3. Full thread on the main CT forum.

CT Thread Here
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yep, I can do almost 140 miles in my PRO SR towing our 3,000lb single axle Camper...

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
More Utility than Truck

Faster than a Sports Car

Will redefine the Truck Segment

Towing Monster

Looks like the Future

I think we can now say itā€™s a Mid Pack Truck. Disappointing considering the ā€œEV Leaderā€ couldnā€™t do more once the competition showed its cards.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Pretty bad numbers for CyberTruck towing an easy load (Model Y) at low-ish speeds. 115 miles from 100-0%. Or a real world 80 Miles going from 80-10%!!!! Way worse than Lightning in a similar test which gave more than 180miles towing a Model 3. Full thread on the main CT forum.

CT Thread Here
Super long post and they left the one metric that matters most, average/max speed wile towing. There is a HUGE difference in range if you are towing at 55mph vs 65mph or 65mph vs 75mph. My guess is they were running at 75mph. I can get 90 mi of max range towing my camper with my ER Lightning or 150mi, just by changing the speed.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Super long post and they left the one metric that matters most, average/max speed wile towing. There is a HUGE difference in range if you are towing at 55mph vs 65mph or 65mph vs 75mph. My guess is they were running at 75mph. I can get 90 mi of max range towing my camper with my ER Lightning or 150mi, just by changing the speed.
They said ā€œlow speedā€ driving, my guess is 55 mph maybe 60 mph.

Sponsored

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I like how the realization that it takes a long time to charge hits them, then they say to fill the bed with the range extender šŸ¤£ somehow forgetting that they have to charge it too

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I like how the realization that it takes a long time to charge hits them, then they say to fill the bed with the range extender šŸ¤£
Itā€™s just crazy how hard it is for Tesla Fans to hold Tesla Accountable and let them know with their wallet they put out a subpar product.

One poster suggested another poster find a job closer to home if he needed to Tow šŸ¤£

Tesla and Musk will continue selling this at $100k +, itā€™ll be a few years before we see the regular product if at all. They know the fans will keep buying regardless of what the price is.

Everyone else doesnā€™t have that fan base, except for certain vehicles.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
lol there's someone who's also a member here who's going to extraordinary lengths in the thread to try to polish that turd...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Itā€™s just crazy how hard it is for Tesla Fans to hold Tesla Accountable and let them know with their wallet they put out a subpar product.

One poster suggested another poster find a job closer to home if he needed to Tow šŸ¤£

Tesla and Musk will continue selling this at $100k +, itā€™ll be a few years before we see the regular product if at all. They know the fans will keep buying regardless of what the price is.

Everyone else doesnā€™t have that fan base, except for certain vehicles.
I have a CT reservation and I think they underdelivered. It's a fine truck-like thing for rich tech-bros or whatever, but I'm not converting my reservation into a purchase.

Too expensive. Mediocre range and not great charge rate. It looks pretty cool in person though.

Sponsored

EigenSolver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru, 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
I have a CT reservation and I think they underdelivered. It's a fine truck-like thing for rich tech-bros or whatever, but I'm not converting my reservation into a purchase.

Too expensive. Mediocre range and not great charge rate. It looks pretty cool in person though.
The CT has some impressive engineering - steer by wire, 48v low voltage architecture, Ethernet connections to all the various modules, to name a few. Unfortunately, the only one that really makes any impact on the user is steer by wire. I suppose other items might have an impact by providing a lower price, but that does not seem to be the case.

They have enough misses on other items that impact users that overall the entire vehicle is not particularly compelling, which is too bad. I was hoping that Tesla would meaningfully advance user performance metrics and help force the competition to up their game (if only by reverse engineering), but not so much. Weā€™ll see what Ford does with T3, but if the CT is the best Tesla could do, we might just be looking at a small incremental improvement compared to the Lightning.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The CT has some impressive engineering - steer by wire, 48v low voltage architecture, Ethernet connections to all the various modules, to name a few. Unfortunately, the only one that really makes any impact on the user is steer by wire. I suppose other items might have an impact by providing a lower price, but that does not seem to be the case.

They have enough misses on other items that impact users that overall the entire vehicle is not particularly compelling, which is too bad. I was hoping that Tesla would meaningfully advance user performance metrics and help force the competition to up their game (if only by reverse engineering), but not so much. Weā€™ll see what Ford does with T3, but if the CT is the best Tesla could do, we might just be looking at a small incremental improvement compared to the Lightning.
Agree. Many of those things make little difference to the experience of using the truck. It doesn't even come with a spare tire (optional) for f's sake. The tires are huge and cost around $450 each. Rear seat is small compared to a normal truck. It weighs a little more than the Lightning even though it's smaller and has a smaller battery.

Apparently it loses a lot of range when towing, maybe significantly more than the Lightning.

Well, things will progress and eventually we'll get a 500+ mile EV truck. I don't care what people say about "not needing" that range or whatever. 500+ miles (as in EPA 500+ miles = 400+ real world miles and 200+ miles towing) is the bottom of what it will take for greater EV truck adoption. That or $10/g gas lol.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
if thatā€™s in reference to

lol there's someone who's also a member here who's going to extraordinary lengths in the thread to try to polish that turd...
I guess all I have to say is:

I donā€™t feel Iā€™m doing anything more/less than Iā€™ve done with the Lightning for 2 years

sift through the brand tribalism, FUD, and claptrap to understand what these trucks really are/arent

if that same tribalism/FUD/claptrap makes me some whispered joke over here, too, itā€™s no surprise. Over there Iā€™m beat up for being a F150L fanboi, and itā€™s no surprise the same mindset exists over here.

I take them to task on it plenty:

for months the Tesla fanbois have been sitting in their sedans looking out at other OEMā€™s BEV trucks saying, in effect, ā€œnone of this shall challenge the Cybertruck, for it shall be built of unobtainiumā€

now weā€™re in that awkward phase

But at the end of the day, no surprise my recent post over there stays relevant here, too:

put differently and bluntly:

if your use case wouldn't have you buying an ICE truck with a 13 gallon tank, then a BEV truck probably isnā€™t for you (in 2024)

for me, and many others, the many benefits of a BEV truck far outweigh the practical effects of having a 13 gallon tank

for others, a 13 gallon fuel tank just wonā€™t do, regardless of the benefits

Itā€™s that simple.

It doesnā€™t seem simple, in threads like this, only because:

ā€¢ some donā€™t understand the extent of the benefits (including when towing)​
ā€¢ some donā€™t understand how to mitigate the practical effects of a 13 gal tank (including when towing)​
ā€¢ some overestimate how much their use case requires >13 gal tank (esp when towing)​

Some participants underplay the extent of the benefits and underplay the degree of mitigation possible, while also exaggerating the need for >13 gal. Others over-play the benefits and overplay the possible mitigation, while also downplay the legit needs of some for >13 gal tank.

Makes it hard for other folks to figure out their own cost-benefit calculation.

Meanwhile, the other thing playing out here is the age old hunt for which 13 gallon truck actually gets its stated gas mileage in various scenarios, or compared to other models/brands. The Ram and Chevy both are rated for 26mpg hwy, but one seems to exceed it while the other seems to always fall short. The Ford EcoBoost gets great milage not towing, but worse milage than the v8 when towing. Etc., etc.

That sort of milage debate, with ICE, has for a long time had lower stakes in an age of cheap gas, 36 gallon tanks, and stations on every corner. Stakes are a bit higher with BEV still.

When the Cybertruck and Lightning have only a 13 gallon tank, nailing down details about benefits, mitigation, true use case needs, and oddities around milage, is understandable.

but also hard to do when folks are being overly critical, and others overly optimistic.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
They said ā€œlow speedā€ driving, my guess is 55 mph maybe 60 mph.
He posted his video. Iā€™m seeing 65mph as his most used highway speed, we split the difference, although he did spend some time in slow traffic.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
He posted his video. Iā€™m seeing 65mph as his most used highway speed, we split the difference, although he did spend some time in slow traffic.
and turned out it was more than 115mi?

148mi?
Sponsored