• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

B&O sound system issues?

• Total voters

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I do strongly encourage everyone who has experienced this extreme noise event to provide the requested VIN and dealership information to Ford.

However, to help set your expectations, I have provided my information via private message to two different Ford representatives who are on this forum and the Gen14 forum. They requested additional details, which I provided, and one representative advised me to take my truck to the dealership. I did take my 2022 Lightning to the dealership. It was inside the shop for 1/2 of one day and outside in the parking lot for 3-1/2 days. They said they found 2 blown speakers. I have heard absolutely NOTHING else from Ford or the dealership ... except, the Service Manager at the dealership questioned why I was still driving my 4 month old $105,000 truck.

I also strongly encourage everyone who has experienced this extreme noise event to file a complaint with NHTSA.
That’s good info, maybe I’ll reach out. How did they know your speakers were blown?
Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
That’s good info, maybe I’ll reach out. How did they know your speakers were blown?
They did not say. They just said 2 speakers in the rear were blown. The speakers have not been replaced.

After I viewed (via the FordPass app) my truck sitting outside in the service parking lot for several days, I texted the dealership service advisor for a status update. After no response in 26 hours, I went to the dealership to pick up my truck. They said a Ford Engineer had been assigned to the problem, and they were waiting to hear back from the Ford Engineer. I told them I had read several reports in the Gen14 and Lightning forums of trucks sitting at a dealership for 2 to 3 weeks, and nothing was done during that time. I told the Service Manager to call me when they heard back from the Ford Engineer, and I would immediately bring my truck back in for service. That was on November 18, and I have heard NOTHING since then.

It appears that Ford and the dealership are good with my vehicle sitting outside in a parking lot while they are waiting indefinitely on a response from a Ford Engineer .... and while I am making payments at $50+ per day on my only months-old flagship Ford EV Lightning Platinum truck .... and while not providing an equivalent loaner vehicle.

But ... the 2 Ford forum representatives and the dealership Service Manager have expressed their "concern" with what they appear to think is MY issue and not THEIRS.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
They did not say. They just said 2 speakers in the rear were blown. The speakers have not been replaced.

After I viewed (via the FordPass app) my truck sitting outside in the service parking lot for several days, I texted the dealership service advisor for a status update. After no response in 26 hours, I went to the dealership to pick up my truck. They said a Ford Engineer had been assigned to the problem, and they were waiting to hear back from the Ford Engineer. I told them I had read several reports in the Gen14 and Lightning forums of trucks sitting at a dealership for 2 to 3 weeks, and nothing was done during that time. I told the Service Manager to call me when they heard back from the Ford Engineer, and I would immediately bring my truck back in for service. That was on November 18, and I have heard NOTHING since then.

It appears that Ford and the dealership are good with my vehicle sitting outside in a parking lot while they are waiting indefinitely on a response from a Ford Engineer .... and while I am making payments at $50+ per day on my only months-old flagship Ford EV Lightning Platinum truck .... and while not providing an equivalent loaner vehicle.

But ... the 2 Ford forum representatives and the dealership Service Manager have expressed their "concern" with what they appear to think is MY issue and not THEIRS.
Man that is poor service. I wish I’d thought to take a video or recording when it happened but I was so focused on making the god awful sound stop I didn’t think of it.

I did think my stereo sounded different after it happened so I bet I’ve got some speakers with issues as well.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Man that is poor service. I wish I’d thought to take a video or recording when it happened but I was so focused on making the god awful sound stop I didn’t think of it.

I did think my stereo sounded different after it happened so I bet I’ve got some speakers with issues as well.
Attached is a recording of the noise inside my truck. The sound level was louder than any concert you have ever been to. I would not be surprised if all the speakers and the amp in my truck are damaged. I smelled an "electrical burn" after several minutes during the event.

Sponsored

hahahano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It has come to my attention a solution is in the works, while we wait, there things to consider which have already been pointed out:
  1. Change the audio input source
  2. Pull the Audio fuse
  3. Shut off & evacuate the truck, close the door and wait ~5 minutes to sleep mode.
  4. Disconnect the 12v battery.
Consider a quick disconnect like this.
1668655568934.png
Hi @TaxmanHog - I just reread your comment - you mentioned a solution is in the works. Did someone from Ford contact you? Did you read something about the problem elsewhere?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Hi @TaxmanHog - I just reread your comment - you mentioned a solution is in the works. Did someone from Ford contact you? Did you read something about the problem elsewhere?
I have not received an update yet.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Reports of the extreme noise issue have declined recently. Ford replaced the ACM and 12 volt battery in my 2022 Lightning in January. Does anyone know if Ford has "embedded" a software update for this issue without publicizing it?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Reports of the extreme noise issue have declined recently. Ford replaced the ACM and 12 volt battery in my 2022 Lightning in January. Does anyone know if Ford has "embedded" a software update for this issue without publicizing it?
Do Non-Lightning trucks get frequent OTA updates? Most complaints seem to be other F150s, which makes sense since there are so few Lightnings out there.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Now that this glitch has been confirmed on the non-B&O unleashed system (Lariat models) there is pretty much no choice but to disable the audio system.

I just removed fuse 28 from the passenger footwell. It appears to have killed the amplifier. The volume control is not showing up on the display when turning the knob.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Poll modified to invite anyone else wanting to cast a vote, personally I have not had any issues in my Lariat-ER-Max-Tow.

hahahano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Happy to report that I still have not had the issue. I have noticed a few odd instances when my CarPlay audio will distort for a fraction of a second, but it has always resolved itself. Tough to tell whether this is due to the B&O system or just Bluetooth weirdness. Still, I’m keeping hearing protection in the car for little ears should the problem ever occur.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I was told a few days ago by an engineer that it “is not a known issue.” So yeah…

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Had this happen 2 more times this week.

It seems to happen when android auto is connecting to whateverthefuck the truck is doing when it wakes up. Sometimes in drive, sometimes in reverse. Always like a deafening modem trying to connect over the speakers for 15 seconds.

Its getting old.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Had this happen 2 more times this week.

It seems to happen when android auto is connecting to whateverthefuck the truck is doing when it wakes up. Sometimes in drive, sometimes in reverse. Always like a deafening modem trying to connect over the speakers for 15 seconds.

Its getting old.
That’s awful. :( Have you submitted an NHTSA report?
Sponsored