• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealing with ice

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Starting my first winter with my Lightning, I'm wondering about tips and tricks from those who've already been through a season. This morning I encountered two issues that I suspect will be common during the winter. We've been in a weather pattern of about freezing temps during the days and low 20's at night. Along with this we've had all types of precipitation; rain, freezing rain, snow, slush)

I charged during the night last night. Upon unplugging, I discovered that water had pooled in the little flip-down door for the lower charge ports and then froze there overnight. Luckily it had warmed a bit and I was able to pop it out with my fingernail. There was also a slight buildup of ice on the hinge to the charge door. I was able to get both off easily and close the door. But if it had been any heavier or colder, I would have been stuck with an open charge port door.

Water had also run down the windshield and mixed with the snow already in the cowling to create a fairly large block of ice there. The wiper mechanisms were not locked in but it wouldn't have taken much more for there to be a problem.

I've seen the threads about whether or not a charging cover is necessary. Until this morning I was willing to go with the not-needed group. But now reconsidering that one. I also know that you can be prepared and cover things before the storm hits. But in my case last night, they weren't even predicting any precipitation in my area.

One thought I've had is to keep an old hair dryer in the frunk that can be used in situations like this. What have others done about issues like this without the heat from an ICE to melt things around the cowling and front end?
Sponsored

jmb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Lariat ER
If I know a storm is coming in I just throw an old towel over the charge port and door. Everything else just de-thaw as you would any other vehicle. Use the departure schedule to start defrosting before you're set to leave and you should have minimal manual clearing to do.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It doesn't freeze here, but if I was heading to the lands of ice and snow, I'd put my heat gun under the rear seat, in case the frunk was frozen shut. You can get a cheapo on Amazon or at Harbor Freight for less than $20. The truck will supply the power to run it.

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Starting my first winter with my Lightning, I'm wondering about tips and tricks from those who've already been through a season. This morning I encountered two issues that I suspect will be common during the winter. We've been in a weather pattern of about freezing temps during the days and low 20's at night. Along with this we've had all types of precipitation; rain, freezing rain, snow, slush)

I charged during the night last night. Upon unplugging, I discovered that water had pooled in the little flip-down door for the lower charge ports and then froze there overnight. Luckily it had warmed a bit and I was able to pop it out with my fingernail. There was also a slight buildup of ice on the hinge to the charge door. I was able to get both off easily and close the door. But if it had been any heavier or colder, I would have been stuck with an open charge port door.

Water had also run down the windshield and mixed with the snow already in the cowling to create a fairly large block of ice there. The wiper mechanisms were not locked in but it wouldn't have taken much more for there to be a problem.

I've seen the threads about whether or not a charging cover is necessary. Until this morning I was willing to go with the not-needed group. But now reconsidering that one. I also know that you can be prepared and cover things before the storm hits. But in my case last night, they weren't even predicting any precipitation in my area.

One thought I've had is to keep an old hair dryer in the frunk that can be used in situations like this. What have others done about issues like this without the heat from an ICE to melt things around the cowling and front end?
Here is link to a post I did last winter showing my solution.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/charge-port-door-frozen.13738/post-299328

Sponsored
OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything else just de-thaw as you would any other vehicle.
I haven't found that to be the case. Yes, the defroster clears the windows ok, but without the heat from an ICE engine, the hood and the cowling with the base of the wipers stays frozen, sometimes complicated by the melt running down the windshield and refreezing in the cowling area.

As mentioned, a heat gun or blow dryer will probably address my concerns (while the hair dryer will take longer, not sure I'd trust myself with a heat gun. With the power those have, I'd probably melt something I don't want to melt or ruin the finish)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Clearly EVs are different than gas vehicles in winter. You'll notice that the hood won't melt, so you actually have to clean it off before you drive, and the remainder doesn't melt while you drive.

Always make sure the wiper blades are free to move before turning them on.

OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clearly EVs are different than gas vehicles in winter. You'll notice that the hood won't melt, so you actually have to clean it off before you drive, and the remainder doesn't melt while you drive.
Yup. This 2 days after the storm and many miles driven.
Ford F-150 Lightning Dealing with ice 1701870735052

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Get creative...

Ford F-150 Lightning Dealing with ice flame.PNG

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
This is a great post because it’s these little things that make a difference between a terrible no good morning and a mere inconvenience.

Back in the era of keys I recall a few silver thaw mornings w/warm water carefully poured on a door to get the key in and the door open.

Small tarp over the windshield? Maybe a 120V waterproof warming blanket?

I charge in a modestly heated garage but have wondered what it’d be like walking out to an iced up brick.

I am also curious what it’s like to drive the LT on days like this (in my MME about a year ago).
Ford F-150 Lightning Dealing with ice IMG_7057

Sponsored
OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am also curious what it’s like to drive the LT on days like this (in my MME about a year ago).
IMG_7057.jpeg
I've already seen that I need to be more cautious during slick conditions than with previous vehicles. With the large mass of the Lightning, it carries a lot of momentum into corners. Seems it will break free sooner than other vehicles if I'm not careful.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've already seen that I need to be more cautious during slick conditions than with previous vehicles. With the large mass of the Lightning, it carries a lot of momentum into corners. Seems it will break free sooner than other vehicles if I'm not careful.
True.

But that should be common sense to people. 7,000 pound vehicle. Momentum. Ice. Not rocket science. STFD (Slow The F Down!). People drive way too fast in bad conditions, not specific to EVs.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The added weight also increases the friction force between the tires and the surface. That should negate the effects of momentum.
I think what you’re experiencing is due to the way the all-season tires behave on ice and snow.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The added weight also increases the friction force between the tires and the surface. That should negate the effects of momentum.
I think what you’re experiencing is due to the way the all-season tires behave on ice and snow.
That's exactly right. If it was just about momentum, tractor-trailers would be uncontrollable on ice.

I spent 2.5 years as a professional driver years ago, and I kind of miss that job. Most people don't understand that unloaded trucks are the worst-handling vehicles on the road. A truck stops much faster loaded to 80K lbs than it does empty at 32K. That difference is even bigger on snow and ice. I bet a fully-loaded semi would handle better than most sedans and CUVs on the road today because of how well that weight pushes through snow and slush.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
My second thought on traction was how differently these trucks will behave compared to regular F150s.

The ICE trucks have either an antiquated part-time 4WD system that isn't great on dry roads, or a full-time system that's capable of locking in the front axle when it detects slippage. Power is usually rear-biased, and at most 50% of the torque goes to the front end. The Lightning is calibrated differently any other EV I've driven with its front-biased power delivery. I expect this will handle more like a conventional front-biased AWD platform than any other EV or RWD-based truck.
Sponsored