• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jumping an ICE vehicle with a Lightning?

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
I searched and could not find an answer to this on our forum but how would you jump start an ICE vehicle with your Lightning? The short search I did online says no and could void warranty. If that is the case I will keep a jump box in the truck to avoid telling someone that is in need of some help that I can't.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I need to get one myself, thanks for the reminder.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I searched and could not find an answer to this on our forum but how would you jump start an ICE vehicle with your Lightning? The short search I did online says no and could void warranty. If that is the case I will keep a jump box in the truck to avoid telling someone that is in need of some help that I can't.
Correct, you should not jump someone with your Lightning. The 12v battery is quite small, and can't handle the load that most vehicles need.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
In this day of age of automobile electronics, I would never jump another car with any of my vehicles…there is too big of a chance to fry the electronics; as for the 12V system of the Lightning, it is even a bigger risk and doesn’t have CCA to start many cars.

I carry a battery jump pack in my Honda ICE and in my Lightning in the event I need to be a good neighbor……

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Just a PSA in general: it’s almost always better to jump using a jump pack than connect car to car. Not even AAA does direct jumping like that anymore.

Unless you know that you left the lights on overnight or something, car batteries do not simply die on the side of the road. At best the alternator died (in which case the jump will barely help them get going), at worst the car has a shorted cell or other battery fault and attempting to jump it using a direct battery to battery connection might go really wrong.

TLDR: carry a jump pack or even a smart 12V battery charger + your Pro Power Onboard if you wanna be a good neighbor

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Well I for one have jumped an ICE from my Lightning. Remove the panel on top left when standing at the frunk. There is a post for the positive connection that routes back to the battery positive, and a ground pin.

Fan relay was stuck in run position so I new ICE vehicle had drained battery. Have since picked up a 120V charger to use. Haven't had consistently great experience with jump pack, but probably good to keep one in Lightning for it's weak but critical accessory battery.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Can you jump a Lightning failed 12Vdc battery from its Frunk 120Vac to a 12Vdc battery charger/jumper box, like the Schumacher, or would the Onboard Generator be unavailable? I am guessing it would be unavailable due to the display controls for Pro Power not showing...although I think there have been cases of funky controls still somewhat working that was traced back to low voltage from the frunk "12Vdc" battery.

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I wish there was a jumper that was only powered by 120v or had a big capacitor, rather than having a lithium battery that will eventually die. I do carry around a battery tender in a bag that I used to keep in my model 3. I always had it with me in case my or someone else's 12v died.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Can you jump a Lightning failed 12Vdc battery from its Frunk 120Vac to a 12Vdc battery charger/jumper box, like the Schumacher, or would the Onboard Generator be unavailable? I am guessing it would be unavailable due to the display controls for Pro Power not showing...although I think there have been cases of funky controls still somewhat working that was traced back to low voltage from the frunk "12Vdc" battery.
Only if your 12V is working well enough to start the truck in order to turn on the onboard inverter. In which case, the normal in-truck charging process should work anyway.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Got questions regarding your post here:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/know-before-you-tow-f-150-lightning.14908/

I can't reply on the thread.

1 - Is there a difference between getting a jump from ICE where it is noted in the video under the right panel vs directly connecting to the battery?

2 - Why getting a jump from another EV is discouraged? I didn't think Lightning needed that much Juice.

3 - Is getting a jump from a portable battery like this is as good as getting a jump from another ICE? or as bad as getting a jump from another EV?

Ford F-150 Lightning Jumping an ICE vehicle with a Lightning? 1679667375783

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Got questions regarding your post here:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/know-before-you-tow-f-150-lightning.14908/

I can't reply on the thread.

1 - Is there a difference between getting a jump from ICE where it is noted in the video under the right panel vs directly connecting to the battery?

2 - Why getting a jump from another EV is discouraged? I didn't think Lightning needed that much Juice.

3 - Is getting a jump from a portable battery like this is as good as getting a jump from another ICE? or as bad as getting a jump from another EV?

1679667375783.png
1) using the right side panel remote connections is "Safer" and allows the charging current to be measured by the BMS sensor located at the negative battery cable connection.

2) I'm not sure, others could chime in on why EV to EV jumping is discouraged, IMHO both are drawing low levels of current from the LVB, maybe it's something to do with the BMS's on each vehicle 🤔

3) portable jump packs have been used by several folks with success.
Sponsored