• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Departure and comfort not working

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What are the outside temperatures you want precondition before departure?
Winter is coming in Southern VA and wondering if I really need to plan my a.m. departures if it is above freezing. I did watch a video that said the batteries are fine between 32 and 113 degrees.

I work from home and only go into the office occasionally, and that is usually anytime before noon. never consistent.
Critical temps would be under freezing.

A few things to consider, how long is the drive, can you do a round trip with plenty of battery SOC remaining upon returning home, if so I would not worry about getting the battery up to temp. in a climate like southern VA.

For folks in much colder locations traveling further and nearing the lower limit SOC by the end a trip, setting the departure time will help of cabin temps, battery temps and efficiency through the trip cycle.

When deep winter arrives in Jan & Feb in New England, for short trips, I'll do a remote start to warm up the cabin, I also use delayed charging schemes that time of year, 6am to 8am the charging process will generate some heat, if it's critically cold, the truck will use shore power to bring the pack temp up to a safe charging level.

On the other hand in deep winter and doing a long road trip, definitely set the departure timer to prepare the battery & cabin for optimal temps, this will help with the round trip efficiency, or lessen the amount of mid trip charging I might need.

With random schedules, just set the event within 1-2 hours of when you customarily depart if you think the battery temps would be critical for the drive cycle.
Sponsored

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
Thanks Tax, 90% of my driving is 5 miles to and from. Typically I just plug in 1-2 times a week just to bring the battery back from 50-60 to 90%..... having to heat the cabin is not an issue. So I really just need to precondition below freezing.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks Tax, 90% of my driving is 5 miles to and from. Typically I just plug in 1-2 times a week just to bring the battery back from 50-60 to 90%..... having to heat the cabin is not an issue. So I really just need to precondition below freezing.
You really don’t even need to do that (precondition at all). Just keep it plugged in.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
When deep winter arrives in Jan & Feb in New England, for short trips, I'll do a remote start to warm up the cabin.
I've wondered about this. Entering my first cold season with the truck, tried a conditioning schedule for the first time last week and it worked great (didn't notice what happened with the steering wheel). But being retired I don't have a regular schedule. Most of the time, our decision to drive somewhere is not planned very far ahead. So I expect I'll usually be setting up a preconditioning schedule on a somewhat random basis. But I've wondered how this differs from remote starting. Does a remote start begin conditioning the battery and heating the cabin in the same way as setting a schedule?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Does a remote start begin conditioning the battery and heating the cabin in the same way as setting a schedule?
Remote start only warms the cabin, seats and steering wheel.

Departure Scheduled time while plugged in does the above at the end of the battery warming process, which kicks off from 90 to 30 minutes prior to departure time, depending on how cold the battery pack is determines how early that starts.

Departure Schedule time UNPLUGGED, only warms the cabin, seats & wheel (from what we can determine), a few members used diagnostic tools to measure the HVB temps overnight and while cycling the departure schedule, IIRC no appreciable increase in battery temps occur until we start driving, then the power conversion and PTC heater bring the temps up, especially if you are plotting a DCFC charging station in Ford Navigation.

Sponsored

Mandalorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range Battery
This morning the truck was on the EVSE [FCSP]
No warm steering wheel, everything else was great, cabin and seats toasty warm.
If it's within ~20 minutes after scheduled departure time the manual switching of heated wheel remains inhibited, only after the truck has been shut off beyond that time frame does it resume working, just like last season. I guess the fix for this is still pending for the future.

Fordpass Status-----------------

1697634198643.png

Emporia measured start 0741 for 0800 departure
Snap shot is 0806 just before I unplugged @0808
1697634387454.png

Total energy 2.07 kWh or 53 cents to warm up.
{4 miles of range conserved from the battery}
1697634551891.png
I have just noticed this happening to my truck too. I have the truck plugged in and have a departure time set and when I go to the truck the cabin and seats are warm but the steering wheel is not even though the light is on indicating it’s on. Then even if you turn it off and turn it back on it won’t work. Sounds like a pretty big glitch/bug.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have just noticed this happening to my truck too. I have the truck plugged in and have a departure time set and when I go to the truck the cabin and seats are warm but the steering wheel is not even though the light is on indicating it’s on. Then even if you turn it off and turn it back on it won’t work. Sounds like a pretty big glitch/bug.
Yes, @Ford Motor Company says that it will be fixed in an update coming soon.
Sponsored