• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Diesel heater(new video of it running)

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Im reviving this thread, interested in your plan for the heater this winter.

it would be really interesting to see a youtube video or much more detailed write up or schematic of what you’ve rigged here and exactly where everything is plumbed and how you have all the pipes and wiring connected.
Do you have an on/off switch in the cabin? Is the cabin heat still adjustable with the regular climate control or is it all or none?

My lack of understanding of the system, still don’t get how this heats the battery if it is on the climate control loop and not the battery loop.
If you have a long time at a destination with the truck off, can you use the heater to still keep the battery warm for a few hours?

Frankly I think this is ingenious. Well done. The previous critics on this thread haven’t lived through a Canada winter. If it works as well as you say, and your truck hasn’t caught fire yet, Ford could sell this as an aftermarket add-on and it would have huge appeal.
I took it out in the spring so I can permanently install it this fall, I can make a small video installing it. Yes you still use the heat controlls In the cab. And the webasto heater has Bluetooth so no display just on my phone
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I took it out in the spring so I can permanently install it this fall, I can make a small video installing it. Yes you still use the heat controlls In the cab. And the webasto heater has Bluetooth so no display just on my phone
If you do create a video or make an in-depth write-up on this, I'm sure there are lots of us who would appreciate it! Despite what most people would say, I am excited about longer road trips with my Lightning, but my health issues mean I may have to take several frequent breaks that could involve long periods if idling for me to nap or rest. The Lightning being electric is great, meaning it's not putting severe wear on an engine, but the downside is if it's cold outside, the heater does draw more power than I'd like.

If I'm in a place like West Virginia or somewhere else with a dearth of DC fast charging, I'd love the option to use diesel/kerosene heat and save the battery for driving.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Small video of the new install leaving front off till I run it and confident I won't melt anything. So temp install diesel tank and should be fine

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Heater running not sure why videos not working

20231028_165515.jpg
Oh wow, you certainly use your Lightning in the dirt! But I'd still love to see how everything is all wired up and connected.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Not really. The efficiency of burning anything to generate HEAT ENERGY is very high. You might be thinking of the efficiency of burning gas to generate MECHANICAL energy. A decent burner system should get 90%+ of the energy in the form of heat.
Sure, if you count the energy that goes up the flue. But obvious that doesn't heat the cabin. Unless it condenses its exhaust gas, a burner like this, heating a liquid through a heat exchanger, is probably somewhere in the 65-80% range in the real world. Still a lot better than 20%.

MVO

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Speak for yourself iv had an ev for 5 yrs now and I know the impact cold can have.
How does the system work at -30 C? I'm interested in doing the same thing for my truck. Manitoba.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How does the system work at -30 C? I'm interested in doing the same thing for my truck. Manitoba.
So at -30 I run diesel heater and eheat still more efficient than strait electric

MVO

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Sure did it's plummed into the heater core. So I just use the fan like normal and out comes hot air
Where did you end up installing the heater and tank in your final/permanent install?

Sponsored

burger

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning and 50+ F-series trucks in fleet
Occupation
mechanic
I'm curious how well this has been working for you as of now, i am about to do the same to one of our company trucks , and trying to decide if we want to do a diesel cabin air heater,
or the diesel coolant heater like you have done here
has it thrown codes or caused issues with anything adding heat the the HVAC system?

does the HVAC system have shared coolant w the batteries? would this warm batteries as well to help with cold weather performance?

cheers,

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm curious how well this has been working for you as of now, i am about to do the same to one of our company trucks , and trying to decide if we want to do a diesel cabin air heater,
or the diesel coolant heater like you have done here
has it thrown codes or caused issues with anything adding heat the the HVAC system?

does the HVAC system have shared coolant w the batteries? would this warm batteries as well to help with cold weather performance?

cheers,
It can help heat the battery if the truck calls for it. But it won't heat them driving down the road

There's been a few issues but other than that has been great honestly the biggest issue is I can turn it down. Gets pretty hot inside the truck. There has been 0 holes cut or anything done to the truck minus cutting 1 coolant hose.

burger

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning and 50+ F-series trucks in fleet
Occupation
mechanic
It can help heat the battery if the truck calls for it. But it won't heat them driving down the road

There's been a few issues but other than that has been great honestly the biggest issue is I can turn it down. Gets pretty hot inside the truck. There has been 0 holes cut or anything done to the truck minus cutting 1 coolant hose.
as in you cant turn it down?
that could potentially be absolved with an inline thermostat, or maybe a remote switch in cab to turn it off once temperature is achieved

as for your few issues, what have they been?
I'm doing this for my partners truck would like to elaborate off your experience to let him know the pros and cons with this mod,

I'm pretty familiar with espar & wabasto heaters i have a bunch in my fleet

I'm also looking at using the blower motor for a control circuit to turn the diesel heater on/off
so we could use it with the command start would make it really simple

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Can't put a thermostat if the pump fluid goes to slow it throws errors and shuts off
Sponsored