• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
It got hung up while they were trying to update the IPMA. Same thing happened to a Mach E owner this week where the dealer got stuck updating the IPMA showing the same programming errors as your truck.

Modules pending updates are below:

1706915942338.png
They ended up replacing the LVB and not needing to replace the IPMA. I'm curious for an update to see what they actually updated. They told me they had to update "several" modules, but the service writer didn't elaborate.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
They ended up replacing the LVB and not needing to replace the IPMA. I'm curious for an update to see what they actually updated. They told me they had to update "several" modules, but the service writer didn't elaborate.
I see no indication that they did any module updates. The ran a few PMI procedures on the IPMA which is conducive with a module replacement, but not necessarily as a PMI can also be done to an existing module with the purpose of loading the correct software on it. Hard to tell from what I can see if they replaced the module or not. Tech notes are not posted to warranty history yet, so if you want, remind me to check the tech notes in a week or two once they post so I can see what they say they did. In reality, as long as your truck is good now, what they did is not important.

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
I see no indication that they did any module updates. The ran a few PMI procedures on the IPMA which is conducive with a module replacement, but not necessarily as a PMI can also be done to an existing module with the purpose of loading the correct software on it. Hard to tell from what I can see if they replaced the module or not. Tech notes are not posted to warranty history yet, so if you want, remind me to check the tech notes in a week or two once they post so I can see what they say they did. In reality, as long as your truck is good now, what they did is not important.
Thanks again for checking!

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
So last weekend I finally had a chance to correct my failed update using PMI as suggested. Every time I tried, I got a failure message with 'Unable to obtain Flash Account part numbers from Available Topology'. Tried both original module not installed and is installed with the same error message.

The good news is the precollision assist not available warning did go away, so I guess I can chalk it up as a win!?!?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So last weekend I finally had a chance to correct my failed update using PMI as suggested. Every time I tried, I got a failure message with 'Unable to obtain Flash Account part numbers from Available Topology'. Tried both original module not installed and is installed with the same error message.

The good news is the precollision assist not available warning did go away, so I guess I can chalk it up as a win!?!?
I would say that's a win. Sometimes, just driving it will cause things to settle. No DTC's being recorded in the module?

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I would say that's a win. Sometimes, just driving it will cause things to settle. No DTC's being recorded in the module?
I did see a DTC about initial configuration not complete, but didn't capture a screen shot, so I might not quote it correctly.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I've had about a month with the IPMA+PSCM update and I have to say, if this is BlueCruise 1.4 it's not really anything to write home about compared to the competition.

I do see some modest improvements -- slightly less nonsense ping ponging in super wide lanes, follows slightly tighter curves, and is less inclined to throw the red steering wheel alarm when lane lines slightly fade.

However, compared to the lane holding capabilities of Tesla Basic Autopilot (not even FSD), BMW's active assist, and the Kia/Hyundai lane keeping system, IMO it's not very impressive. It still gives out or incorrectly steers on sharper curves, ignores nearly clipping cars that come in your lane partially, etc.

I don't know how Ford claims BC 1.4 stays engaged something like 10-14x longer, I sincerely hope that real BC 1.4 includes activating something beyond just applying this IPMA+PSCM update.

Reactions: GDN

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I did see a DTC about initial configuration not complete, but didn't capture a screen shot, so I might not quote it correctly.
If the DTC is gone now and everything is working fine, then I would not worry about it.

dugiepts66

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER- Azure
Occupation
Tech
All, could use some help. License is purchased, but my FDRS application keeps saying it's offline, and not connected. When I run the network test, FDSP and login server both fail...

Disregard...downloaded newest FDRS, and was able to log in. Commencing updates now.

Last edited by a moderator:

dugiepts66

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
And I’m back…was able to knock out some smaller updates. Running the IPMA and it’s going on 3.5hrs. Sitting in operation in progress mode after installing everything.
This usual? Connection etc looks good. Started at 13volts on battery and down to 6.7volts now. Normal?

I’m using an 25 amp charger seen here-

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS IMG_3746

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS IMG_3744

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And I’m back…was able to knock out some smaller updates. Running the IPMA and it’s going on 3.5hrs. Sitting in operation in progress mode after installing everything.
This usual? Connection etc looks good. Started at 13volts on battery and down to 6.7volts now. Normal?

I’m using an 25 amp charger seen here-

IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg
25A is not sufficient to sustain FDRS programming. The recommendation especially for long programming is 40A (or a piggyback of 2 20A’s)

With that said, I’ve been in the same situation and found that around 7 volts, the Lightning’s HV system activates and briefly bumps the voltage to 13V so that is probably saving you. It saved me during my IPMA update as well with 30A of charging not being enough.

But don’t rely on this in the future — for one I don’t know which module enables this emergency charging functionality, but during updates of that module you probably won’t be rescued by the HV pack. And also the voltage dropping this low and jumping around is thought to be risky in terms of successful programming of other modules.

dugiepts66

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I allowed the module to hang in processing mode another hour before I disconnected it. I cleared the initial codes and the car seems to work ok…how can I “check” via the sw if the module update took or if I can/should reapply it?

I no longer see any more modules to update after refreshing and checking again in fdrs.

Magendi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
I recently got this charger from Amazon when Rugedraw counseled me against trying to do it with a Clore 20A. I just finished my updates including IPMA and it worked like a champ. Towards the very end of a 5 hour updating marathon it briefly got to 11.6V but otherwise was above 12 most of the time. Way more money than I’d hoped to spend but a bricked truck would have been more expensive.

https://a.co/d/01CuJQJ

I do have a corollary question: I finished all the updates and FDRS SW update tab is blank but there are some features that I still don’t have like having it stick in sport mode. Will additional updates populate at some point (probably immediately after my 2 day license expires)?

dugiepts66

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
25A is not sufficient to sustain FDRS programming. The recommendation especially for long programming is 40A (or a piggyback of 2 20A’s)

With that said, I’ve been in the same situation and found that around 7 volts, the Lightning’s HV system activates and briefly bumps the voltage to 13V so that is probably saving you. It saved me during my IPMA update as well with 30A of charging not being enough.

But don’t rely on this in the future — for one I don’t know which module enables this emergency charging functionality, but during updates of that module you probably won’t be rescued by the HV pack. And also the voltage dropping this low and jumping around is thought to be risky in terms of successful programming of other modules.
Post one of this thread showcases a 20amp charger/maintainer. If we’re saying this isnt enough, let’s update the recommendation so more folks aren’t going down with similar issues.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Post one of this thread showcases a 20amp charger/maintainer. If we’re saying this isnt enough, let’s update the recommendation so more folks aren’t going down with similar issues.
Yeah someone should update that. The draw on a Mach E was measured at 39 amps.

The 20A Clore has been used in a double configuration since then.

You can get away with the 20A one for short updates if you pre-charge the 12V and wait a little between modules. But this is the first IPMA update for the Lightning and it takes almost 4x longer than the next longest update.
Sponsored